PDA

View Full Version : Suspension guru's, I have a question

Bob
10-03-2010, 11:00 AM
2001 FZ1

I'm looking for some input here. My bike was lowered before I got it. It is 2 inches lower in the year using an adjustable dogbone. The front was lowered by raising the forks through the triple 2 inches. I've been reading mixed reviews on this. Some say that lowering it this way hurts the suspension greatly. Some say it doesn't effect it at all. I like it because I can flat foot. However, if this is a bad thing I'll put it back to stock and deal with tippy toes.

Thanks as always guys!

dogbreath
10-03-2010, 11:36 AM
1) A lowered bike has inherently less ground clearance. Less ground clearance means less lean angle. If you scrape your pegs often, it's time to lift it a bit.

2) If both sides of the bike are lowered equally (as you said they are), there's very little effect on the geometry of the suspension.

Does your bike exhibit any strange handling behaviors? If not, there's nothing wrong. Anyone telling you that having your FZ1 lowered correctly is bad for it is just jumping on the 'lowered bikes are for squids' bandwagon.

Bob
10-03-2010, 11:43 AM
The forks are actually through the triples 1" on the nose and not 2" like I thought. I just went a remeasured. The rear does have dogbone set at 2" lower though.

It seems to handle fine for the few times I've been on it. Was never on anything really twisty though. I think I might just leave it and if I notice a problem next year when I get it back out I'll change it then. Seems easy enough to change anyway.

Thanks man!

Gas Man
10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
With an uneven lower front being slightly higher the geometry is off slightly. However, that doesn't mean it's bad, just different. You have taken some weight off the front wheel and therefor it would require more input to turn the bike into the corner. But you're use to a cruiser so I doubt you would notice it.

Bob
10-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks man!

dogbreath
10-04-2010, 10:55 PM
You have taken some weight off the front wheel and therefor it would require more input to turn the bike into the corner.

The flipside to this is that the bike will soak up more tiny steering errors, allowing you to concentrate on the bigger ones and not get confused by errors you didn't know you made. Will make you a better rider.

vortech302
10-05-2010, 08:40 AM
I can't say about any damage it does to the forks other than what I've read, but the short time I rode my GSXR at stock height it was more prone to tank slap under acceleration and at "freeway" speeds it moved around a little bit in the wind. When it was lowered I lost some turning radius (much wider, I couldn't slalom through all the cones on the state riding test for instance), but it went straight as an arrow and you just had to lean in a little earlier. I also liked being flat footed

Gas Man
10-05-2010, 06:57 PM
That's true dogbreath. And cortech is right as well. Less weight on the front end can loosen the steering enough to inflict a tank slap condition.