PDA

View Full Version : What grips are you running?

Bob
09-18-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm thinking of running these "Driven" brand gel grips" http://moto-madness.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=342_348&products_id=179

Anyone else using them or have suggestions?

Gas Man
09-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Those look cool!

Bob
09-18-2010, 08:58 PM
I think they should feel good too. With my current drag bar I put a little more weight on my palms and the stock grips are horrible.

Mudpuppy
09-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Those look pretty bad ass. I am running stock. Was thinking about some new grips and had a link somewhere to some grips someone else recommended but can't find it.

But can tell you this - use a compressor to take off and put on the new grips with an air nozzle - works like magic.

aeryck
09-19-2010, 12:56 AM
But can tell you this - use a compressor to take off and put on the new grips with an air nozzle - works like magic.

Gee, wonder where you learned that trick.. =]

Credit where credit's due though, I learned it from Wheeler down in Deal's Gap.

Don't remember the brand of the grips I run, but I put gel grips on my ZX6 and it made a world of difference. Less hand fatigue and no more cramping on long rides.

To elaborate the air compressor trick: Get a air blow gun nozzle, preferably with a tube on the end of it... use the air gun to blow air between the bar and the grip, and the grip will stretch enough that you can slide it off the bar without too much trouble. Same procedure for putting the new grip on; blow air between the grip and bar as you work the grip up the bar, and the air will keep the grip stretched enough that it should go on smoothly.

Gas Man
09-19-2010, 03:07 AM
I think they should feel good too. With my current drag bar I put a little more weight on my palms and the stock grips are horrible.
What diameter bars are they? 1"?

Bob
09-19-2010, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys! And the Yamaha book says to use the air as well. The only thing is I replaces grips on my old 750 and the previous owner had them glued on. Was not a fun time. LOL

Chris, they are 7/8" bars.

aeryck
09-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys! And the Yamaha book says to use the air as well. The only thing is I replaces grips on my old 750 and the previous owner had them glued on. Was not a fun time. LOL

Chris, they are 7/8" bars.

Ouch, that had to suck. If you use the air trick you should never have to glue 'em or use any kind of lubricant to get them to slide on... You'd obviously never wanna lube the grips up anyway or they'd always slide around on ya.