PDA

View Full Version : FZ1 Project

Bob
09-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Not really a project but I'll just blog here about what I'm doing to the bike.

Tonight:
I installed a Fiamm Low Tone Highway Blaster Horn. I sort of like all the safety stuff on the bike and it did not have a horn when I got it. it's pretty loud and should get me noticed whether I'm telling some idiot to get off the phone or I want someone to see my finger.

I also took the rear body work off and found the turn signal wires that where cut off. This week I plan on making my rear brake lights act as both brake and turn. Hopefully it works.

Bob
09-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Got the brake lights wired up for brake and turns now. Was simple and only took about an hour from start to finish. Now they blink fast so I need to find a relay to make them blink slower. Pretty sure I can get one at the local parts store.

Mudpuppy
09-17-2010, 12:01 PM
I am sure Sketch could provide some input on that. He is a bit of an electrical wiz.

Bob
09-17-2010, 12:14 PM
I did some looking last night and it looks like an EL12 electric flasher should do the trick. I'll keep you guys posted.

Bob
09-20-2010, 09:41 PM
The EL12 actually made them stop working all together. I'm going to get one of these, it's direct plug and play. http://www.customled.com/products/flasher_relay/flasher_relay.htm I'll probably wait until winter though to do it.

Tonight I pulled the tank off and cleaned the air cleaner, adjusted my throttle cable, and found the wires for my front turn signals.

I also have a clutch lever and assembly coming via ebay. As soon as my money order gets to the seller anyway. The one on the bike is tore up pretty good and can't be adjusted, plus it's missing the safety switch so it can start in gear. Since I'll have to take the grip off to replace it I think I'm going to order those driven skull grips this week and get those on too.

I'm really liking this bike so far.

Gas Man
09-21-2010, 07:11 AM
you realize that if you buy the proper tail/turn unit for the bike you won't have to piece it together... right?

Plus have you considered a clear alternatives tail light with intergration? that would be my first choice.

http://clearalternatives.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=CA&Product_Code=CTL-0101-Q&Category_Code=FZ1

Bob
09-21-2010, 12:54 PM
$104.00 for a light?! I got it to do the same thing for $20! :p

Bob
09-21-2010, 10:17 PM
Got the mirrors today. Very decent quality for the price for sure. Fit perfect and are even sort of heavy so they will make up for my lack of bar ends now.

Gas Man
09-22-2010, 02:34 PM
But you aren't. Theirs is all LED and the amber LEDs are intigrated.

Bob
09-22-2010, 08:57 PM
But you aren't. Theirs is all LED and the amber LEDs are intigrated.

After I get the relay in it will be fine. The relay is $20.

dogbreath
09-22-2010, 09:02 PM

I like this guy.

Bob
09-22-2010, 09:04 PM
I like this guy.

I hate paying for things on my bike when I could do it myself on the cheap. Even if it takes some messing around. Plus I always learn a bunch of stuff. Now next time I want to do something like this is will be easy and take me 15 minutes.

Bob
10-02-2010, 10:46 PM
Started tearing into the bike tonight. I have to pull the carbs off and find and fix the leak issue with them. Since I'll be doing all of that I'm going to pull the radiator and get to the emissions junk and rip that out and while the radiator is out I'm going to check the plugs and replace them if need be. The hardest part is going to be getting the carbs back in when it's all said and done. LOL I also removed my handle bar and painted it. While the bar was off I was able to get o the suspension adjustments so I did that as well. Not sure if the bike will be back together for any more riding before winter comes but I highly doubt it. So it looks like I won't be riding until next year. Hopefully on a bike not leaking gas and running very nice.

snofrog
10-03-2010, 03:21 AM
sunny and very low chance of rain all next week . what is all of this crazy talk of taking the rest of the year off lol ? :eek:

Bob
10-03-2010, 08:42 AM
sunny and very low chance of rain all next week . what is all of this crazy talk of taking the rest of the year off lol ? :eek:

It just depends if I find the time to get the bike together and done. By the time I get the carbs off, figure out what is wrong, order parts, get them in, and then get it back together...chances are not looking good. LOL

Bob
10-03-2010, 09:52 AM
I think I am also going to put the bike to stock ride height. My rear is 2" lower and my front had the forks coming through the triples 2" higher than the should. Everything I read on this bike says that the bike handles much better at stock height.

Bob
10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
I took the rubber boots off today that go from the carbs to the header and bored them out and cut up my air box to allow more air to flow. I also have a set of new carbs coming so hopefully I'll have one good set out of it all and I'll get the jet kit in those and get it back on the bike.

Bob
10-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Last night I got the AIS tubes plugged and got my turn signals installed. I bought a rear stand from HF today so I'll get the bike up tonight and try and get the rear suspension back up to stock height and get this exhaust bolt in that was missing when I got it.

Bob
10-09-2010, 04:44 PM
The aftermarket dogbone will not let me put the bike to stock height because it hits the sway bar and center stand bracket in that position. New ones from the dealer are only $12 a set though so I'm going to order some form Honda East down in Toldeo.

Bob
10-09-2010, 04:45 PM
p.s. The HF rear stand works great. It even feels more solid than the old, el-cheapo stand I had and it was only $33 after the 20% off coupon.

Gas Man
10-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Bad ass on the $33 price. For that I should get one for the rice rockets in the garage. Got any more of the coupons?

Bob
10-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Yeah, you can't beat it.

No but if you have just about any motorcycle or car magazine they usually all always have a full page HF ad with a 20% coupon. Or I think if you sign up on their site you'll get them in the mail weekly or bi-weekly.

Gas Man
10-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Yeah I thought I was signed up but haven't got one in a little bit... probably due. How old was your flyer?

Bob
10-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I think the flyer was about a week old and good through 11/28. If I get a magazine with one in it it's yours man.

Gas Man
10-09-2010, 11:00 PM
let me know... I'll pick one up just to have it on the wall for you or mud. Even though my condor will hold the bike up right. And I have mc jacks to do other things... they're harder to use on the metrics.

RedneckMedic
10-10-2010, 12:44 AM
those stands work great its what i use on my bike. my buddy got rid of his cbr and let me have it.

Bob
10-10-2010, 10:40 PM
A guy from ohio offered to send me his stock dogbones for just the price to ship them so that's awesome.

Nothing much really to do to the bike until the dogbone and carbs come now.

I think this week I might try and make a bracket for my car jack so I can lift the front of the bike up with it so I can get the forks adjusted.

Gas Man
10-11-2010, 09:34 PM
Or you could bring it over here and we could do it... but that would have to wait till next week.

Bob
10-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Or you could bring it over here and we could do it... but that would have to wait till next week.

The bike is pretty torn apart right now or I might of taken you up on that. Tonight I made the bracket, works perfect. It's just tacked right now so this weekend I'll need to weld it all up and probably ad a couple of gussets.

Gas Man
10-11-2010, 11:42 PM
Well let me know... not hard to do on the lift.

Bob
10-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks man!

Got the jack adapter done tonight and got a set of stock dogbones installed to raise the rear back to stock. Carbs should be here tomorrow so I'll probably go through them this weekend and make sure they are sound and get the jets ordered for the rejet. I started to tape off the bike tonight to paint the frame gunmetal, the frame has some nicks and scratches, but then I stopped because it was becoming a pain in the rear. I might do it again if I get a fire under my butt. I was going to cut the muffler down today too but did not feel like it. I figure I can do that any time.

Bob
10-14-2010, 05:13 PM
Here is the jack adapter I tossed together.

Bob
10-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Got 3/4 of the frame painted today. I got some Dupli-Color wheel paint that was close to the original but not exact. It covers well over the stock color with just one coat because it's so close. A little darker with a little more metallic in it but it looks pretty sweet. I went with the wheel paint because I used it on my old Honda Civic and I used to have to beat the steel wheels off with a hammer and the paint would never chip even with a steel hammer slamming against it. Figured it'd be great for a frame.

The new carbs came in today and they look brand freaking new. The insides of them sparkle compared to my old ones that where all tarnished and crappy. Going to order the jets tomorrow and should be good to go. Knock on wood this project is done before winter so I won't have to do this crap in the cold.

Gas Man
10-15-2010, 08:29 AM
And the mandatory pics are where?

Bob
10-15-2010, 10:13 AM
I'll probably take pics tonight after I finish the painting.

Mudpuppy
10-15-2010, 12:26 PM
you sound like a busy little beaver there bob..

Bob
10-15-2010, 12:33 PM
you sound like a busy little beaver there bob..

I only get a chance to work on the bike for like an hour or two in the evenings so I at least get to work on it every day. LOL I hate waiting for things to get done.

Bob
10-15-2010, 10:14 PM
Here are the pics from painting the frame:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5084731023_862fd9186f.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4112/5085326766_1e0f21224b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4089/5084731473_65bd51a06e.jpg

Bob
10-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Oh, I also made a tool / adapter to get the front wheel off. It takes a 19mm allen head hex but I only had a 17mm so instead of going out and getting one I just made an adapter for it. I'll get pics tomorrow. I threw a coat of paint on it and did not want to touch it to take a pic. This welder has for sure paid for itself over the last year.

Bob
10-16-2010, 11:50 AM
Here is the little 19mm tool I made. The head of the bolt goes into the axel and the two axel and a 19mm socked goes on the bolts. Or visa versa.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4086/5086617944_263d3d5881.jpg

Bob
10-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Got the front end raised and back to stock height. It's going to suck tippy toing for a while until I get used to it again and who knows I might end up lowering it again. But the rear was lowered 2" and the front 1" so it was not correct and lowering the front 2" would of caused all sorts of clearance issues. It was easy though. I've never messed with the forks before and it was more nerve racking getting the bike on the stands than it was messing with the forks. Hopefully my jets come this week and the bike should be buttoned up this next weekend or the weekend after that. Knock on wood all I have left to do is put the jets in the carbs, install the carbs, install the radiator, install the handle bars and cross my fingers as I try and start it.

Bob
10-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Done! I think. My dad came over tonight and helped me get it all back together. It took a while to get it running and it ran really rough until i got the idle adjusted. But the throttle is much more crisp. I snap it and the response is instant. I think it really needs a carb sync and it'll be running 100%. Somehow though my battery died from the time i took it out and the time I put it back in so that it next on the list.

apex factor
10-25-2010, 01:37 PM
always something. least you have a snappy throttle now!

Bob
10-25-2010, 05:02 PM
always something. least you have a snappy throttle now!

Aint that the truth man.

crazkene13
11-02-2010, 09:43 AM
I have a motion pro carb synch if you need to borrow one, or I could help synch...

edit, I believe you should always synch after modding or cleaning.

Bob
11-02-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks man! I might take you up on that come end of winter. I think I'm just going to wait until then.