PDA

View Full Version : Trying to start a new GLRC chapter

telecast
09-13-2010, 08:39 AM
After looking around most of the summer it's obvious there are no riding club chapters close to me. The ones that say they are really aren't. So I'm working with GLRC to try and fire up a new chapter.

The Great Lakes Riding Club is a no dues motorcycle riding club. This Club is all about the voice of its members. Non brand specific with all makes and models welcome. GLRC advocates rider safety through education and training. There are NO commitments. If no one hears from you for 90 days you might be contacted to see if you're still interested. Seems fair enough. Other than that, show up when you want.

This is not an M/C. The idea is a method to set up rides and get togethers. Impromptu 'kick stands up and go' rides, planned day rides, and some overnighters.

Looking for people in the Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, Saline, Milan, Dundee, Tecumseh, and Belleville areas, but anyone can join regarldess of location.

There are board positions open. VP, Treas, Sec. Also need a co-treasurer. Not a board position, just a means for checks and balances. I need 4 more people to start the chapter up. I'm envisioning a couple of meetings to get things going, so there will be some minor commitment for officers right up front, then monthly meetings which will be optional. Winter meetings will over dinner or lunch, summer meetings will be held during rides when possible. Trying to keep it as painless as possible.

LURKERS! You don't have to belong to this forum. If you're interested, shoot me some mail.

telecast AT sbcglobal DOT net.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/telecast_photos/GLRC.jpg

Dirty
09-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Sweet, count me in! I've checked out their site in the past and thought it was odd that they did not have a chapter in our area (I think it was mainly Macomb County). I'll shoot you an email with my info.

Mudpuppy
09-13-2010, 11:10 AM
best of luck..

telecast
09-13-2010, 01:34 PM
best of luck..

Thanks, I think. It's not for everyone and I really didn't expect much positive response from this group. We did hope that a few lurkers might be interested though.

Of all the riding groups out there, the fact that none have a chapter in my area could mean there isn't much demand, or it could mean no one has tried to get one off the ground. The main reason I'm trying to do this is there is no one around me to do quick rides with. I have to ride about an hour to meet up with just about everyone. Even if it doesn't turn into a chapter it might result in meeting some new people.

Yes, I know a lot of you prefer to ride alone or have your riding buds. That's cool, glad you're all set.

Rider
09-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks, I think. It's not for everyone and I really didn't expect much positive response from this group. We did hope that a few lurkers might be interested though.

Of all the riding groups out there, the fact that none have a chapter in my area could mean there isn't much demand, or it could mean no one has tried to get one off the ground. The main reason I'm trying to do this is there is no one around me to do quick rides with. I have to ride about an hour to meet up with just about everyone. Even if it doesn't turn into a chapter it might result in meeting some new people.

Yes, I know a lot of you prefer to ride alone or have your riding buds. That's cool, glad you're all set.

I'd be game if the group was closer. It would probably get me out on 2 more often. All my old buds are still on sportbikes and now that I'm on a cruiser I get left out a lot.

Dirty
09-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I'd be game if the group was closer.
Lots of cheap houses for sale out this way :D

Rider
09-13-2010, 02:26 PM
Lots of cheap houses for sale out this way :D

Probably low income jobs too... No thanks.

Dirty
09-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Nope...no jobs...just houses

Mudpuppy
09-13-2010, 06:15 PM

What do you mean "I think". I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I know how hard it is to get something off the ground and more so keep it off the ground - i.e. WOS. So honestly good luck. I will spread the word if it helps. I will ride with anyone really so if you get it off the ground keep me apprised of any and all rides.

telecast
09-13-2010, 07:00 PM
Just waiting for the deluge of 'ghey', 'not for me', 'I ride alone' posts.

Icemann
09-13-2010, 10:35 PM
I wish you the best of luck.

RedneckMedic
09-14-2010, 12:52 AM
just because you asked.....this is so ghey i cant even describe maybe ill let the guy wearing the soa shirt know your starting a "riding club" maybe him and his 1% buddies can show you how its done.

honestly good luck and im the same as everyone else if you were closer i would join up and help out with things but time is something i dont have a lot of since school started back up. have fun and dont let politics get in the way and you should have a good group.

Gas Man
09-14-2010, 10:14 AM
I just simply don't have the time. And organized stuff like that... yeah I was burnt out on that many many many years ago...

IDK... plus I really don't have time to tackle anything else... if you only knew...

vortech302
09-14-2010, 10:31 AM
Can we run guns and cook meth in this club?

Mudpuppy
09-14-2010, 11:31 AM
I just simply don't have the time. And organized stuff like that... yeah I was burnt out on that many many many years ago...

IDK... plus I really don't have time to tackle anything else... if you only knew...

Chris,

Thank you very much for spending some of your valuable time responding to this thread. Your input will be very useful in determining whether or not there is interest in a new GLRC chapter. About as useful as putting your nuts in a blender. Thank you and gfy (twice).

SportstersPaul
09-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Tim: Don't know if I qualify as a "real" rider or not, but I have been known to venture down that way on occasion. Have had pretty good sucess with the "Posse", the Thumb Run, Lake Erie Loop, Deals Gap, AuSable/Lake Huron shore run etc. Be glad to ride with whomever, just need a time and place. Don't think I can fit in any of that officer stuff as was only a lowly enlisted man.

Gas Man
09-15-2010, 06:48 AM
Well as discussed at the Sat gathering... I just needed to respond, that's all. Besides... don't go pissin on my head and tell me it's raining. You know better than anybody here what I went thru with my last go around in a riding club.

Mudpuppy
09-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Chris - it's raining. Just kidding. I know bro. I was looking for an excuse to post "nuts in a blender" - it was a colorful description I think and a good one.. :)

horrorbusiness
09-15-2010, 02:15 PM
Gay, me and all my riding buddies ride alone. Like a one man wolf pack.

telecast
09-26-2010, 09:21 AM
Me, Dirty, and Fishman had a nice ride yesterday. Met up at Plymouth Road and Dixboro, took North Territorial and some back roads eventually got to 52, then south to Manchester, back east through Saline and Milan. Ended up in Maybee at The Little Brown Jug for a burger.

seatmaker
09-26-2010, 08:55 PM

I hear ya, I feel the same way. Would be cool at times but not looking forward to a life long commitment. Saw a lot of Great Lakes rider in Hell today. There sure were a lot of riders out today. And it was fricken freezing.

Dirty
09-27-2010, 07:30 AM
Me, Dirty, and Fishman had a nice ride yesterday. Met up at Plymouth Road and Dixboro, took North Territorial and some back roads eventually got to 52, then south to Manchester, back east through Saline and Milan. Ended up in Maybee at The Little Brown Jug for a burger.
Hey telecast, pleasure riding with you guys. Weather was a little 'iffy' at first with the light rain we got but it ended up being perfect...not too hot, not too cold. They should call the 'Brown Jug' the 'Tan Jugs'...LOL. She sure poured a mean cup of coffee :rolleyes:

telecast
09-27-2010, 08:14 AM
I hear ya, I feel the same way. Would be cool at times but not looking forward to a life long commitment. Saw a lot of Great Lakes rider in Hell today. There sure were a lot of riders out today. And it was fricken freezing.

Hardly any commitment at all. The club asks that you make one ride or meeting every 90 days, or 4 times a year. If someone joins and we don't hear from them for a year we'll ask what's up.

There were some people from GLRC that went to Hell yesterday for the 'Hell-o-Weekends'. Looking at Hell's website it looks like most events are on Satuday, not sure if there was anything to do or see on Sunday.

Hey telecast, pleasure riding with you guys. Weather was a little 'iffy' at first with the light rain we got but it ended up being perfect...not too hot, not too cold. They should call the 'Brown Jug' the 'Tan Jugs'...LOL. She sure poured a mean cup of coffee :rolleyes:

Yeah, we ran into that misty shit three times, I thought sure we were going to get dumped on.

The waitress...it was as much fun watching her walk away as it was watching her pour coffee!

SportstersPaul
09-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Sorry we missed you, probably 5-10 minutes behind you. Will try to be more prompt next time.

telecast
09-27-2010, 08:26 PM
LOOK MOFO, when I say KSU at 9:00, I mean 9:00!!! :p

Seriously, if we knew you were coming we'd have waited for you.

Dirty
09-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Sorry we missed you, probably 5-10 minutes behind you. Will try to be more prompt next time.
That really sucks, wish we had known more people were coming...definitely would have waited.

Dirty
09-28-2010, 07:49 AM
Hardly any commitment at all. The club asks that you make one ride or meeting every 90 days, or 4 times a year. If someone joins and we don't hear from them for a year we'll ask what's up.

The word is that we have the official 'go ahead' from the GLRC to form this new chapter. This will be the first chapter that they have other than the main group up in Macomb.

To expand on what Tim said above, this is a very laid back, family oriented group, with the main point of the club being getting on your bikes and going for a ride with a bunch of people that also like to get on their bikes and ride. No politics or power trips, no unrealistic expectations, just miles on the bike and usually some food in the stomach.

There is no 'life long' commitment, if you are not happy or no longer interested you just let us know and move on. We would hate to see anyone leave but we are definitely not going to pressure anyone to be apart of something they no longer want to do. If anyone is sitting on the fence about whether they would be interested in something like this, now is your chance to give it a try and be a part of a new chapter from the ground up

Mudpuppy
09-28-2010, 10:29 AM
or you can join WOS - blood in blood out.. speaking of that where is sketch? i don't think he got his beat down when he left the club.. he may still have tattoos that need to be removed..

WILEY
09-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Wish you guys luck.

Despite what you believe, there will be politics and cliques. Its just human nature.

Beware if it quits being about riding and becomes all about fund raising. Also beware of expensive patches.

Biggest thing is have fun with it as a RIDING CLUB. If you start having folks join that wanna act like they THINK Bikers act, pull em aside explain that you are a RIDING club, not an MC.

Riding Clubs that try and act like MCs run into problems quick.

There have been several riding clubs that offshot of other riding clubs. Ask around, and you will see what I mean.

Aint trying to piss in your cornflakes, really do hope it works out for you.

telecast
09-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Wish you guys luck.

Thanks!

Despite what you believe, there will be politics and cliques. Its just human nature.

Yup.

Beware if it quits being about riding and becomes all about fund raising. Also beware of expensive patches.

We've decided to not have a treasury. We have to have a treasurer by the club's constitution, but we don't have to have a treasury. This club has no 'purpose' other than to ride. Oh, and eat.

Patches are required for officers, no one else.

Biggest thing is have fun with it as a RIDING CLUB. If you start having folks join that wanna act like they THINK Bikers act, pull em aside explain that you are a RIDING club, not an MC.

Riding Clubs that try and act like MCs run into problems quick.

All spelled out in the constitution and unacceptable.

There have been several riding clubs that offshot of other riding clubs. Ask around, and you will see what I mean.

The GLRC is an offshoot.

Done my homework? Yup.

WILEY
09-28-2010, 06:18 PM
Glad your going in with eyes wide open.

Aint trying to discourage you, just offering some advice from someone who has been there.

Feel free to PM if you have questions you want input on.

SportstersPaul
09-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Hey, I only ride with others on days ending in "y".

Mudpuppy
09-29-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey, I only ride with others on days ending in "y".

hey that is the same days I drink

SportstersPaul
09-29-2010, 11:00 PM
WOW, we got lots in common!