PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Teen To Be Charged In Double Fatal Crash

telecast
09-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Milford Couple Dies After Being Hit On Pontiac Trail

POSTED: Monday, September 6, 2010
UPDATED: 4:38 pm EDT September 6, 2010

(http://www.clickondetroit.com/image/18238127/detail.html)

LYON TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- The Oakland County Sheriff's Office said a warrant with two counts of negligent homicide charges has been filed for a 16-year-old girl who is accused of hitting a couple on a motorcycle last month.
Deputies said the 16-year-old girl was driving eastbound on Pontiac Trail, just east of Bradford Drive, on Aug. 6 when she attempted to turn left into a driveway.
A 2008 Kawasaki motorcycle, carrying 50-year-old Gary Cline and his wife, 48-year-old Donna Cline, was traveling westbound and tried to stop but slid into the side of the pickup truck, deputies said.
Gary Cline was pronounced dead after being taken to Botsford Hospital in Farmington Hills. Donna Cline died as a result of her injuries three days later at the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor.
The Clines lived in Milford.
The teen told authorities she had seen the motorcycle but thought she had enough time to make the turn.
She and two other passengers in the car were not hurt.
A juvenile petition has been filed with Oakland County Probate Court but a hearing date has not yet been set.

Bob
09-08-2010, 01:20 PM
I read that the other day. I wonder what will end up happening in the end.

Gas Man
09-08-2010, 02:34 PM
On one hand she's only a kid, on the other hand she killed 2 people. The kid factor puts a different twist on it.... I'm un sure how I feel about it.

Rider
09-08-2010, 02:40 PM
If you are old enough to drive you are old enough to do hard time.

Gas Man
09-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I'm not so sure. This was an accident. She is going to have to live with the fact that she killed 2 people for the rest of her life. Would you say the same if it was your kid?

Rider
09-08-2010, 04:08 PM
I'm not so sure. This was an accident. She is going to have to live with the fact that she killed 2 people for the rest of her life. Would you say the same if it was your kid?

Yes as a matter of fact I would.

Gas Man
09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
If you say so Rider... RESPECT.

telecast
09-08-2010, 05:17 PM
I spoke with the victim's brother this morning, and he said the family feels the same as Gas. For the record, that's how I feel. Or better put, I'm not sure how to feel.

She definitely made a mistake. She took their loved ones from them. They get that, but they also understand that this will screw up the rest of her life. They're torn.

For my part, I am appalled at the lack of publicity. If ANYTHING comes of this it should be public awareness. This is what can happen when you make a bad decision for the sake of trying to save a few seconds.

If she didn't see the bike, if they came out of nowhere, that may be one thing. If she was just being careless, that may be something else. The fact that she readily admits she saw them and thought she had time to make the turn tells me she simply wasn't prepared to be operating a vehicle.

All driver training should include at least 2 hours of motorcycle awareness training followed by a test. If you don't pass the test, you don't move on to the next stage, period. I also believe that it's time to move the driving age from 16 to 18. Let's face it, kids today aren't any stupider than we were at 16, but there is so much more traffic on the road they have a much greater chance of getting into a situation. When my mom was a kid there were no drivers licenses. She drove at 14. When I was a kid you had to be 16 to get your license. My kid has to be 16 and have X number of hours under the supervision of an adult licensed driver. It's time to take the next step.

meinschaft
09-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I got $5 says she was on a cell phone or texting.

snofrog
09-08-2010, 07:23 PM
I got $5 says she was on a cell phone or texting.
I`ll take that bet . she had 2 budd`s in the truck . it was the radio

Mad Dog
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
For what's it's worth I believe she is just a kid that made a bad mistake. Yes it will alter her life as well for the worse.
I also believe that parents should no longer be allowed to teach children to drive. Most parents, and we see it every day, do not devote the attention needed to operate a motor vehicle safely. This trait is not always conveyed by words but by actions.
If our young were mandated to attend independant driver training programs(classrom and in vehicle instructions and testing) I belive it would help to lower the carnage on our highways.
Ask anyone that makes a living on the road and they will tell you it is out of control. Adults 18 and over should be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law. 16&17 year olds that just started driving, and were taught by incompetent parental instructors should be considered in a different light.jmo

Bob
09-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I agree with the majority here. If I was on the other end of the car or my family was I'd probably have a different tone though.

Gas Man
09-08-2010, 10:18 PM
I think she should do some community service. Maybe do some time at a rehab facility where fallen riders go after an accident. Then she should also have to take professional private driving classes, paid for by her parents. Her parents because they were the ones, as stated above, responsible in creating this bad driver. Then restricted driving for work & school only. I say this instead of no lisence because that won't make her a better driver.

Then as restitution her parents again should have to donate money to and/or start a motorcycle awareness campaign.

But no hard time, she's a kid and that won't help.

Bob
09-08-2010, 11:17 PM
I was in the SOS office the other day and they play these videos in a loop over and over. I was excited to see they had some motorcycle awareness ones but after watching them I was sort of pissed off. It was basically nothing more than a huge commercial for Motorcity Harley. Was more to do about pretty gear and nothing to do about motorist being aware of us. I've sent an Email to the SOS to encourage them to get more awareness out there. They use to have good videos on semi's making wide turns and to watch for them. But we get a 10 minute commercial for a local HD dealer.

I encourage everyone to email the SOS and lets try and get some more awareness out there.

Icemann
09-08-2010, 11:43 PM
No matter how this plays out two people are gone and aren't coming back and one is gonna have to live with it for life. Until people realize driving is a privalidge that comes with great responcibility things will not change. It's out of control. Hell yesterday I saw an asshole on his cell phone while riding and a cigarette in the other hand.

Dirty
09-09-2010, 08:59 AM
I won't be able to come to a decision on what I would want done with this girl until I can get a feel for how she is reacting to what has happened. If she is remorseful and sincerely sorry, that's one thing. If she pulls a Lindsey Lohan with FU painted on her finger nails in court and is pissy because of how much this has inconvenienced her...fuck her, let her hang

Gas Man
09-09-2010, 09:07 AM
That is a good point as well Dirty.

telecast
09-09-2010, 09:29 AM
I won't be able to come to a decision on what I would want done with this girl until I can get a feel for how she is reacting to what has happened. If she is remorseful and sincerely sorry, that's one thing. If she pulls a Lindsey Lohan with FU painted on her finger nails in court and is pissy because of how much this has inconvenienced her...fuck her, let her hang

+1. And I'd also like to see how her parents are reacting. If they take on a 'why are you doing this to my baby' attitude, then they all need a hard lesson. That kind of thing just carries over to their kids and perpetuates itself.

Unfortunately I'll bet we don't hear shit about it.

Fishman
09-11-2010, 03:18 PM
This happened right around the corner from my house..less than a mile..I heard the sirens that day but had no idea...because of it , my wife may never ride with me again..(mixed feelings on that)..however the way I hear it from my local township contacts she was not on phone and was actually turning into her driveway. Just made a youthful miss judgment on timing and distance. My youngest daughter was just in her first car accident in the same situation with another car. No one hurt but she felt horrible. It happens. If it was say a truck involved in this instead of a a biker..none of us would give a shit...just another accident..happens all the time...Keep that in mind before you judge someone..accidents happen..your in the wrong place at the wrong time...if it had been a semi there might be three dead teenage girls instead

SportstersPaul
09-12-2010, 11:03 AM
It's sad but definitley points out the need for better educated drivers, of all ages. And the fact that kids today live in their own instant gratification world. It became all about her getting where she wanted to be- couldn't wait and extra 5 seconds for the bike to pass. And yes I'm with Tim on raising the driving age to 18. May the peace of the Lord be with you brother Tim.