PDA

View Full Version : children riding on motorcycles......

SuperTrooper
08-30-2010, 08:48 AM
I have seen this alot lately and am wondering what the general opinion is. I saw someone this weekend riding with their child on their motorcycle. The child was about 3 years old and sitting in front of the driver. Of course the child had a helmet but he was unable to reach any pegs or anything for his feet. I understand the little one want to ride with mom or dad but what are we thinking people??

Chain
08-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Seems a more complex societal change has come along since I was a child.... I mean, it was nothing for me and my sister to ride with my mom and dad when we both were 4 and 6, right up till we were darn near teens... we rode on the fender of the tractor while doing hay, we rode in the back of the truck while going 55 down the road... it's not that our parents didn't care.... I didn't ride with either one of kids till they were 8 or 10, just didn't feel comfortable.

I see this and think what a bonding moment for parent and child.

You live your life worrying about what "might happen" and you'll paralyze you and your family. I mean is this a statistical problem? If so, I have not seen it....

My .02 pennies!

SuperTrooper
08-30-2010, 09:58 AM
i guess i have a different outlook when i see the result of what "might happen". Back in the day we didnt have the distractions we have now that cause the motorists to do everything but drive. It just scares me to see a 3 year old on a motorcycle going 70 down the highway. I think the gene pool is a little different now a days too. Some people dont have the common sense our parents did........:)

RedneckMedic
08-30-2010, 10:32 AM
i dont think i would be able to take a child that young down the highway like that. i think to carry a passenger they have to have some sort of attached seat and footpegs anyways. But then again ive ridden on the front of my uncles bike and loved it but i personally would have to wait until they can hang on themselves on the back and understand what's going on because i already wont take anyone on my bike if i think they might get me hurt so i dont need a three year old to freak out from something and then we go down.

Chain
08-30-2010, 11:42 AM
i guess i have a different outlook when i see the result of what "might happen". Back in the day we didnt have the distractions we have now that cause the motorists to do everything but drive. It just scares me to see a 3 year old on a motorcycle going 70 down the highway. I think the gene pool is a little different now a days too. Some people dont have the common sense our parents did........:)

I agree...

Mudpuppy
08-30-2010, 12:03 PM
not a fan at all.. think it is not safe and wouldn't do it with my kids.. i would say they need to be at least like 12 years old before i would consider or do extensive riding on their own before that to understand how a bike works, etc. and even in that case i would say maybe 8 years old but probably at least 10..

i have a picture from Cincinnati i will dig up in rush hour of some tool in no gear riding with like a 6 year old on the back.. ridiculous.. and he was splitting lanes and riding unsafe to boot..

telecast
08-30-2010, 12:06 PM
My first experience on a bike was riding with my Uncle on his WWII Indian. We sat in front of him with our feet on the crash bars and held onto the gas/oil caps. I was 3 or 4, maybe even younger. It is the absolute earliest memory I have of him and I grew up right next door.

I got my first shotgun at age 7. By the time we were 10 we hunted our back yards (fields and woods) without our dads. Hell, most of the time they were at work.

First minibike at age 9. We'd be gone for hours on end, no one ever worried about us. We only came home long enough to gas up and grab a sammich.

Nowadays I wouldn't give a 7 year old kid a shotgun, and he sure as hell wouldn't hunt without me. The minibike? OK, but only where I can see you. As for riding a kid in front of me down the highway? Not on a bet.

I think you nailed it with the gene pool issue. The morons in the world have me scared to death. It's not that I don't feel capable of instilling the same values and rules in my kids that my parents instilled in me, I just have zero trust for everyone else.

Gas Man
08-30-2010, 12:22 PM
I have rode a 4/5 yr old on my bike back in the day... around the block.. that was it... same thing... either on the tank or between me and the passenger. Then again, same kid, at 12, but then it was everywhere on the road.

I don't have kids... but... it's a balance of old school and today's paranoid. Like kids wearing helmets on bicycles... wierd!

I think Super Trooper can clarify but I was told be LEO that the kid has to be able to reach the pegs to ride. That was the general hand rule.

zamochit
08-30-2010, 08:07 PM
I wouldn't take them down the highway, but I don't see the harm of taking them around the block. I loved going for a little ride when I was little. In fact, it was remembering those little rides and how much I loved it that brought me back to 2 wheels.

I hate to see anyone hurt, but as long as the person is careful and having a great time then so be it. Everything is so limited these days and set around rules and laws. Put a smile on the kids face and take them for a ride.

SuperTrooper
08-30-2010, 08:09 PM
I have rode a 4/5 yr old on my bike back in the day... around the block.. that was it... same thing... either on the tank or between me and the passenger. Then again, same kid, at 12, but then it was everywhere on the road.

I don't have kids... but... it's a balance of old school and today's paranoid. Like kids wearing helmets on bicycles... wierd!

I think Super Trooper can clarify but I was told be LEO that the kid has to be able to reach the pegs to ride. That was the general hand rule.

yes, the law states pegs are needed and they need to touch the pegs with there feet.

Bob
08-30-2010, 08:17 PM
We were on West Jefferson and Gibraltar Road last year and this due was riding a motorcycle on the gravel shoulder. We thought the dude was drunk or something because he was going really slow and swerving. Turned out he just had like a 2 year old girl on his tank. WTF? Then he does a u-turn and heads down the other side. I thought for sure he was going to lose it and dump the bike and crush the kid.

SuperTrooper
08-30-2010, 08:22 PM
We were on West Jefferson and Gibraltar Road last year and this due was riding a motorcycle on the gravel shoulder. We thought the dude was drunk or something because he was going really slow and swerving. Turned out he just had like a 2 year old girl on his tank. WTF? Then he does a u-turn and heads down the other side. I thought for sure he was going to lose it and dump the bike and crush the kid.

Anything that involves the safety of children pisses me off.....

Bob
08-30-2010, 08:23 PM

Same here man.

junkyardjon
08-30-2010, 09:02 PM
i rode on my parents bikes when i was 6 but on the rear toucjing the pegs. the pegs were clamp on so they raised them for me LOL. Now my bikes are set up the same, clamp on peg so i can raise or lower'em. my girl loves to go for rides, she's 9.

when i was down south i seen a guy in rush hour traffic with a little kid on back, i'd say around 6-7 and he was haulin. i was going 70mph and he passed me like i was standing still. I thought WTF is he thinking. some people should not even ride at all.

Gas Man
08-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Ya pull those types over?

Mudpuppy
08-31-2010, 09:42 AM

i would nominate that for the dumbest question of the year.. hell if i was a cop i would pull them over, taser the rider to an inch of their life and take the kid back to their mom.. i would say listen bitch you need to watch your kid better and get rid of that loser that was riding unsafely with your kid on the bike.. then i would give her two smacks across the fucking mouth and call it a day..

SuperTrooper
08-31-2010, 10:22 AM

yes i do :D

SuperTrooper
08-31-2010, 10:24 AM
i would nominate that for the dumbest question of the year.. hell if i was a cop i would pull them over, taser the rider to an inch of their life and take the kid back to their mom.. i would say listen bitch you need to watch your kid better and get rid of that loser that was riding unsafely with your kid on the bike.. then i would give her two smacks across the fucking mouth and call it a day..

You took the words right out of my mouth!!!:eek:

Mudpuppy
08-31-2010, 01:50 PM
Big reason I am not a cop.. I have tons of respect for law enforcement - they do a very hard job for very little pay.. If I was a cop there would be a lot less - key word LESS - criminals going to jail. My damn gun would "accidentally" go off on a frequent basis as I was arresting the criminals. It would be like that South Park episode where they were hunting - look that rabbit is coming right at us (as the rabbit runs away they blast him with automatic weapons)..

Lasermax
09-01-2010, 10:13 AM
I take my kids out on occasion, ages 12 and 14. When ones on the back I'm well aware of the precious cargo I am transporting, and ride accordingly. I even have the bike in B mode, so it softens the powerband quite a bit. I also try to avoid any of the more congested roads. I consider myself to be a pretty competent rider, but still, anything can happen. It's a battle between sharing what you love to do with the kids, and exposing them to some pretty real dangers. Yea that idiot riding that way with a child on board is definitely reckless endangerment.

Mudpuppy
09-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I take my kids out on occasion, ages 12 and 14. When ones on the back I'm well aware of the precious cargo I am transporting, and ride accordingly. I even have the bike in B mode, so it softens the powerband quite a bit. I also try to avoid any of the more congested roads. I consider myself to be a pretty competent rider, but still, anything can happen. It's a battle between sharing what you love to do with the kids, and exposing them to some pretty real dangers.

yes smart thinking..

unfortunately some people shouldn't be allowed to breed and there are quite a few bad apples out there that don't think along the same lines or consider the consequences.. and of course if something happened it is NEVER their fault - we live in a the world owes us everything zero accountability society..

snofrog
09-06-2010, 02:04 PM
I have 3 kids and they all started riding on the back at 9 yo . now mind you that I was just riding them around town and I live in a SMALL town lol . as they have aged I have gone longer and longer . now my oldest daugter 15 has done 125 miles with me at one sitting and my youngest comlains about how short the ride was lol she`s 9 . my son 15 could care less about bikes or at least riding behind me ( its not cool enough for him lol ) . fwiw atgatt