PDA

View Full Version : shipping

junkyardjon
08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
i need a new way to ship motorcycle frames. right now they cost around $150 and thats killing alot of business. greyhound bus is out of the question. anybody know of a lower cost shipper?

Gas Man
08-22-2010, 10:39 AM
What are you using? FedEx frieght?

junkyardjon
08-22-2010, 10:47 AM
yup FedEx, not sure if it's freight though. funny thing is..... if i put it in a box, it's $10 less but the box is $20 LOL. ever seen a motorcycle frame in a box?

Mudpuppy
08-22-2010, 12:38 PM
if you go LTL and use Yellow Freight, USF Holland or one of the many others you may find a better price.. but remember LTL is it gets there when it gets there.. to do guaranteed ship date becomes a lot more costly..

zamochit
08-22-2010, 12:56 PM
try freightcenter.com

I shipped motors through them and paid what you are for frames.

horrorbusiness
08-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Cut the frames into peices, it'll be easier to box them up.http://smiliesftw.com/x/cooleek.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

junkyardjon
08-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Cut the frames into peices, it'll be easier to box them up.http://smiliesftw.com/x/cooleek.gif (http://smiliesftw.com)

it's crossed my mind, then shipping IS half price. it's the size thats killing me, not the weight. i waiting for emails back from the site listed above and i'm spraying some candy paint right now too LOL

Bob
08-22-2010, 04:07 PM
it's crossed my mind, then shipping IS half price. it's the size thats killing me, not the weight. i waiting for emails back from the site listed above and i'm spraying some candy paint right now too LOL

Hey man, maybe give DTP Muscle a call. They had a guy they used for shipping their bikes that was DIRT cheap. They might of had hook ups for frames and other parts as well.

junkyardjon
08-22-2010, 08:14 PM
the main problem is i don't ship alot and spend anuff for a major discount.

telecast
08-22-2010, 09:30 PM
SIZE

is always an issue with Fed Ex and UPS, rarely an issue with truck freight. They ship big stuff all the time. You save a ton by going with a motor carrier like Mud sugggested

Bob
08-22-2010, 09:32 PM
the main problem is i don't ship alot and spend anuff for a major discount.

I don;t think they got a discount from their guy, I think he was just cheap. LOL

Bob
08-22-2010, 10:21 PM
You should make a post telling us about your frames and stuff man. Let people know what you can do. I might be needing one soon.

RoadZombie
08-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I ship for a living. I'd suggest FedEx National LTL for shipping west of the Mississippi River, USF Holland or YRC (formerly Yellow and Roadway) for the Midwest, and FedEx Freight for the North and Southeast. Thats pretty much the rule I follow as far as pricing goes. We do get a "bulk discount" through work...but the discounts are all pretty much "standard". I would also reccomend getting the price quoted "Prepaid". You'll have to pay the freight company, but it is usually cheaper. You'll just re-coup the money from the customer anyways.

RoadZombie
08-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Oh...and most LTL carriers can get it to where it's going within 3-4 days BTW. With the exception of FedEx National LTL...5-6 days on the west coast.

Mudpuppy
08-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I found that any method of shipping to or from Wyoming takes excessively long.. I think it takes 10 days to get a UPS ground package out of there.. i think they are literally still using pony express..

the key to any shipping is to package the goods so that they can withstand nuclear war..

RoadZombie
08-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Bike frames are pretty sturdy. Just band it to a pallet and shrink wrap that bitch. We ship radiators a lot...talk about having to pack the shit outta something.

junkyardjon
08-22-2010, 10:42 PM
nuclear war huh.... DOM 1 1/8 tubing, bend that and there some bad MOFO's lol. i'm sure it's been done. i'll get on the phone tomorrow

Mudpuppy
08-22-2010, 10:46 PM
i just shipped some extremely heavy duty shaft and sprocket assemblies via LTL.. i guarantee it would take 1,000x more force to fuck them up then a bike frame.. and they fucked them up and my supplier was mostly to blame because they put a 3,000 lb assembly on a 150 lb rated pallet.. and then the shipping company just shoved them on the truck, etc. so that was about a $50,000 mistake..

so pack for nuclear war... just a warning.. either that or buy insurance - but i wouldn't recommend insurance - it's a sucker's bet.. they only offer it because they make a shit ton of money off it..

junkyardjon
08-22-2010, 10:50 PM
oh yeah i know they can mess things up. shipping painted tins freaks me out every time and customs just sucks totally.

junkyardjon
08-22-2010, 10:51 PM
You should make a post telling us about your frames and stuff man. Let people know what you can do. I might be needing one soon.

i'll work on that post later this week

doughrek
08-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Check out con-way freight as well. They are a major LTL player