PDA

View Full Version : Hard-tail vs. soft-tail

Bob
08-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Ok, I always swore never to get on a hard-tail bike. However, after talking to a ton of people over the past week, who have done both, almost all of them have told me they prefer the hard-tail with a springer seat over a soft-tail.

Do any of you have any input?

junkyardjon
08-20-2010, 09:38 PM
are you hooked now? LOL. you found my home away from home. i ride bikes with shocks cause the roads i ride everyday will wear you out fast. theres more travel in a shock than a seat spring. i like and build hardtails but for everyday riding, a bike with shocks wins ever time.

Bob
08-20-2010, 09:49 PM
are you hooked now? LOL. you found my home away from home. i ride bikes with shocks cause the roads i ride everyday will wear you out fast. theres more travel in a shock than a seat spring. i like and build hardtails but for everyday riding, a bike with shocks wins ever time.

Yeah man, I'm hooked for sure, now just to get my bike sold! LOL

I really like those Savior frames. But they seem hard to find for a decent price. I'm thinking I might end up with a 750 and then a weld on rear section. I've never done anything like that before so it should be interesting. Whatever I decide to do I want to keep it on the cheap...real cheap. LOL I've never really been a fan of the long rake chopper styles but the seats a lot of them use are growing on me (No idea if there is a name to the seat style but like the Easy Rider bike). I saw a guy on a HD today and he had one of those style seats and the dude looked really comfortable for sure.

junkyardjon
08-20-2010, 10:04 PM
well i'll tell you what... if you want a hardtailed stock frame i'll do it for cheap but you gotta help. i have evrything here cause i do alot of them LOL. amen savior frames with the rear parts sell for $400-$600 but you never know if all the parts are good. you can build a bike for under $1000 easily. i have most of the parts here LOL

Bob
08-20-2010, 10:08 PM
well i'll tell you what... if you want a hardtailed stock frame i'll do it for cheap but you gotta help. i have evrything here cause i do alot of them LOL. amen savior frames with the rear parts sell for $400-$600 but you never know if all the parts are good. you can build a bike for under $1000 easily. i have most of the parts here LOL

Sounds like a plan man!

Any certain brand hard-tail section you recommend going with?

horrorbusiness
08-20-2010, 10:22 PM
I think they are called "king & queen" seats.
A springer seat and a kidney belt and it may be okay.

And to Don, I asked my peeps at the shop if anyone ever came by for some louvers.

junkyardjon
08-20-2010, 10:26 PM
not yet, bought another project bike and the wife is PISSED and something about i can't spend anymore more money till i sell some bike LOL. i only have 9 bikes and a stock pile of parts to match LOL. i will be getting some louvers punched for sure.

Bob
08-20-2010, 10:27 PM
I think they are called "king & queen" seats.
A springer seat and a kidney belt and it may be okay.

And to Don, I asked my peeps at the shop if anyone ever came by for some louvers.

Thanks man. I think you are right.

Ok, what is a kidney belt? it's the second time I've read that today.

horrorbusiness
08-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Straps around your mid section and keeps all your organs in place, and make keep you from pissing blood...lol

junkyardjon
08-20-2010, 10:33 PM
it like what weight lifter wear on there back

Bob
08-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Oh screw all of that! LOL

horrorbusiness
08-21-2010, 07:40 AM
Oh screw all of that! LOL

It's more form fitting than a weight lifters belt. I'd wear one snowmobiling. You could hide it under a vest, but the odds are good that you'll only be bar hoping on a rigid.

RedneckMedic
08-21-2010, 09:37 AM
nah ive got a hard tail and we did about 300 miles the other day. the only thing that sucks is the side roads and the really big bumps that hurt on a softail.

junkyardjon
08-21-2010, 10:20 AM
if the streets were better around here, i'd be on a hardtailed bike.

Gas Man
08-21-2010, 06:05 PM
The only time I would suggest a hardtail for more than a bar hopper is if it had a 300 rear wheel. air it down a bit and you're golden.

otherwise, why not run springer seat on a soft tail. Best of both. That's what I'm going to do with the nightster.

RedneckMedic
08-26-2010, 12:33 AM
i used my gel pad i got from egay today and it worked awesome. i sewed an old shirt around it for a cover and i just throw it on the seat my fat ass holds it in place. i didnt take it for a long ride just to woodhaven to my girlfriends house but it was so comfortable even better than the big ass seat that used to be on the bike.

Bob
08-26-2010, 07:02 PM
i used my gel pad i got from egay today and it worked awesome. i sewed an old shirt around it for a cover and i just throw it on the seat my fat ass holds it in place. i didnt take it for a long ride just to woodhaven to my girlfriends house but it was so comfortable even better than the big ass seat that used to be on the bike.

Thanks for the update man! I saw on another site dudes where using gel padding out of cheap mouse pads. LOL

RedneckMedic
08-26-2010, 07:24 PM
well this was 1/4 in memory foam with 1/4 in of gel on top