PDA

View Full Version : Help, bike runs like shiz!

Rider
08-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Ok, at the beginning of the season I replaced the plugs, air filter, oil, tore down carbs and cleaned them. Bike ran great for a while and the last time I rode it, but now after sitting for about a month the bike wont idle, has poor acceleration and backfires when I close the throttle after maintaining cruising speed on the highway. Too rich? I probably need to replace the needle and seat on the carbs but after that I have no idea what to do next. Gas is fresh and I ran Seafoam to clean out the carbs. No luck.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Gas Man
08-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Did you check the plugs? Are they all black?

Rider
08-18-2010, 12:03 PM
Did you check the plugs? Are they all black?

Didn't remove the plugs yet. I'll do that tonight after work.

Lasermax
08-18-2010, 12:23 PM
You certainly could have a stuck fuel valve, or float needle as many call em. Does the bike have a petcock? Close it if it does, and see if the symptoms change. Many times you will get gas dripping from one of the carbs as it floods, both into the intake and out towards the air filter. If you can expose the intakes of the carbs by removing the air filter, you can see it happening. Another worry now is that you could have excess gas in your oil, as this condition can cause the excess gas to wash past your piston rings and contaminate your oil. Might wanna open your oil filler plug and smell. Good luck.

telecast
08-18-2010, 12:50 PM
This part:

after sitting for about a month the bike wont idle, has poor acceleration and backfires when I close the throttle after maintaining cruising speed on the highway.

It was fine, then sat for a month, and now runs like crap.

It sure sounds like a stuck float valve. I don't think you'd need to replace anything though, if it happened while sitting it might just be a piece of crud stuck in there. If the plugs prove to be black, I'd try removing the bowl and cleaning things up before I started buying parts.

RedneckMedic
08-18-2010, 06:02 PM
sorry but gotta say it after reading the other thread...so is a metric really better than a harley for reliability.

junkyardjon
08-18-2010, 07:16 PM
where are harley carbs from?...... and YES metric is better

Bob
08-18-2010, 10:40 PM
where are harley carbs from?...... and YES metric is better

LOL Japan! I get my carb parts from the Harley dealers.

Rider
08-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I found a/the problem. One of the gas cap screws came loose inside the gas tank and was probably blocking flow through the petcock. I took a magnet and fished out the screw so it seems to be running much better now.

telecast
08-19-2010, 09:36 AM
Ok, that's gotta be the weirdest thing I've heard. How in the hell did you find it?

Rider
08-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Ok, that's gotta be the weirdest thing I've heard. How in the hell did you find it?

Removed the gas tank to get to carbs and when I lifted the tank off I heard the screw in there rattling around.

telecast
08-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Sweet. Don't you love it when that shit happens?

BTW, how do the plugs look, just out of curiosity?

Rider
08-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Sweet. Don't you love it when that shit happens?

BTW, how do the plugs look, just out of curiosity?

New. The white part is still white with just a tiny bit of carbon on the threads. I have about 200 miles on the plugs.

Gas Man
08-20-2010, 09:55 AM
That is NUTS cough I mean screwy. WTF. I would have been shaking my head in the garage...

Just wow.

Lasermax
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm surprised that the screw would be the problem. Most petcocks have screens going up into the gas tank to keep debris from getting into the petcock itself. But hey if that was the culprit, that's great!!! Ya learn something every day...

Gas Man
08-21-2010, 06:46 PM
Maybe the screw was just stuck in the "neck" giong to the petcock, not actually in the petcock itself.

lol

I said COCK!

snofrog
08-22-2010, 10:02 PM
sorry but gotta say it after reading the other thread...so is a metric really better than a harley for reliability.

yes ...