PDA

View Full Version : American HD in Ann Arbor is gone.

telecast
08-18-2010, 07:37 AM
http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/american-harley-davidson-dealership-in-ann-arbor-closes-its-doors/

Thruxtonbill
08-18-2010, 08:10 AM
This is a sign of the times for HD, IMO. The customer base for HD is a dying breed. No other bike in the history of MCs has been marketed as well as HD, part of their success but, younger riders prefer sportbikes or cheaper metric crusiers, again, JMO.

telecast
08-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Here's an excerpt from a July '10 news article outlining HD's recent profit earnings:

"Harley-Davidson is making steady progress at executing its strategy to deliver results through focus," said Keith Wandell, President and Chief Executive Officer of Harley-Davidson, Inc. "We are seeing the benefits of our restructuring and continuous improvement activities reflected in our earnings performance.

"We are pleased with the continued moderation in the rate of decline of retail new Harley-Davidson motorcycle sales again in the second quarter. At the same time, we continue to believe conditions will remain challenging this year for new motorcycle purchases and we will manage the business based on that expectation, with a continued strong focus on managing supply in line with demand," Wandell said.

"Despite the decline in second-quarter retail motorcycle sales, we believe interest in the Harley-Davidson brand remains strong among riders of all generations. In fact, Harley-Davidson is the U.S. market share leader of on-road motorcycles among young adults. We will continue to focus our resources on expanding the global reach of the brand and developing new products that will reach even more riders going forward," Wandell said.

So I doubt your assertion is correct. I think this is more a case of the lousy economy, especially in SE MI. HD is consolidating dealers the same way the auto companies did. The AA and Brighton stores are owned by the same people, so it made sense for one to close. Brighton is the larger and nicer of the two, so AA got the ax.

But the main point here isn't how well HD is doing or who they cater to, it's simply that more jobs are gone.

telecast
08-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Here's another one, this time Yamaha. It's not an HD versus metric thing, as much as some may want to make it so. These are easy to find, just do a search.

Yamaha Motor Co., the world's second-largest motorcycle maker, said sales in North America and Europe may fall twice as much as forecast, as a spreading debt crisis damps demand. The shares fell 4.2 percent.

"From May, there has been a sudden impact from the Greek crisis," Chief Executive Officer Hiroyuki Yanagi said in an interview in Tokyo yesterday. Combined sales in North America and Europe may decline as much as 20 percent this year, compared with an earlier estimate for a drop of about 10 percent, he said.

Slumping demand for motorcycles in developed countries is forcing Yamaha to slash jobs and close plants. The company will shut five factories in Japan and one making boats in the U.S. by 2012, adding to the closure of a motorcycle plant in Italy last year. Yamaha will cut as many as 1,000 jobs this year after eliminating 1,100 positions in 2009.

The company last year posted its first loss since the year ended April 1984 as sales tumbled 45 percent in North America and 25 percent in Europe. Yamaha's motorcycle sales in the two markets made up 25 percent of its global two-wheeler revenue in 2009, down from 31 percent a year earlier. Declining demand for large leisure-oriented models in the U.S. such as the 1.3-liter $19,690 Royal Star Venture contrasts with a recovery in car sales.

Rider
08-18-2010, 08:34 AM
This is a sign of the times for HD, IMO. The customer base for HD is a dying breed. No other bike in the history of MCs has been marketed as well as HD, part of their success but, younger riders prefer sportbikes or cheaper metric crusiers, again, JMO.

Apples to apples metric cruisers aren't much cheaper. About the only thing you gain with a metric is reliability.

Thruxtonbill
08-18-2010, 08:36 AM
But the main point here isn't how well HD is doing or who they cater to, it's simply that more jobs are gone.
And I'm not trying to change your point, I'm saying how well HD is doing has everything to do with jobs.
Here is another take
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/Extra/more-troubles-for-harley-davidson.aspx

telecast
08-18-2010, 08:49 AM
That looks about the same as everything else I've read.

I don't buy into the reliability issue anymore. Before the EVO motor, yes. Shovelheads/Ironheads were known for breakdowns and leaking oil. The EVO improved reliability dramatically, and the Twin Cams are on par with anything else in the same category, ie: V-twin external pushrod engine.

Gas Man
08-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Apples to apples metric cruisers aren't much cheaper. About the only thing you gain with a metric is reliability.

That looks about the same as everything else I've read.

I don't buy into the reliability issue anymore. Before the EVO motor, yes. Shovelheads/Ironheads were known for breakdowns and leaking oil. The EVO improved reliability dramatically, and the Twin Cams are on par with anything else in the same category, ie: V-twin external pushrod engine.

Honestly... I'm with Tele on this. I'll put my TC96 up to any metric in reliability or the whole bike in general. And let's remember, I ride the shit out of my Ultra. Most of the time crossing several states in days...
<knock on wood>
Further, though I will add that Biker Bobs is on par to be sold out of every bike they can get their hands on. A few weeks ago, they had EVERY bike new&used on their show room floor. They can't keep them in stock. So again, it's not an HD thing as much as a Michigan thing or maybe just piss poor service thing for one dealer.

Chain
08-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Honestly... I'm with Tele on this. I'll put my TC96 up to any metric in reliability or the whole bike in general. And let's remember, I ride the shit out of my Ultra. Most of the time crossing several states in days...
<knock on wood>
Further, though I will add that Biker Bobs is on par to be sold out of every bike they can get their hands on. A few weeks ago, they had EVERY bike new&used on their show room floor. They can't keep them in stock. So again, it's not an HD thing as much as a Michigan thing or maybe just piss poor service thing for one dealer.

X2..

RedneckMedic
08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
i was at town and country harley today and i saw about 10-15 bikes with peoples names on them that have recently been sold new and used and they had a ton of inventory left and they are a harley metric can-am dealer. I think its my favorite dealer to go to because of the little museum they have there and the wide variety of bikes.

they also had a can-am demo today but my birfday isn't for another 3 weeks so they wouldnt let me because im not 21. probably would have been the only time i would have rode a spider but would like to try it once

Bob
08-18-2010, 09:44 PM

I've always found you get way more bang for your buck on the Jap bikes than Harleys myself. Only thing is Harley holds their resale much better.

But reliability, I think they are on par, both Jap and HD bike now-a-days anyway.

Where is Town and Country HD?

I think the Ann Arbor dealership might of went under because it's in AA. It's a college town, they should be selling Chinese scooters.

telecast
08-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Where is Town and Country HD?

Right at the intersection of 127 and 12. They carry everything and like rug said there's a neat but small museum in the back. Some old board trackers, I think an Excelsior or Victor. Some older Jap bikes. Next door is the Artesian Wells bar and grill, they have some nice bikes in there on display too. Both owned by the same people.

I think the Ann Arbor dealership might of went under because it's in AA. It's a college town, they should be selling Chinese scooters.

Er, no. They were there 30 years. They went under because HD ordered a reduction of dealers. The same people owned both AA and Brighton....see my earlier post.

Bob
08-18-2010, 10:38 PM
Right at the intersection of 127 and 12. They carry everything and like rug said there's a neat but small museum in the back. Some old board trackers, I think an Excelsior or Victor. Some older Jap bikes. Next door is the Artesian Wells bar and grill, they have some nice bikes in there on display too. Both owned by the same people.

Er, no. They were there 30 years. They went under because HD ordered a reduction of dealers. The same people owned both AA and Brighton....see my earlier post.

Thanks!

Yeah, I was kidding about the scooter thing.