PDA

View Full Version : For you guys with spring seats..

Bob
08-14-2010, 06:55 PM
Does it help cushion your butt much? I love my solo seat but at the end of a 2 hour drive my tailbone is killing me. I usually take some Ib Profen before even heading out....getting old.

Anyway, I was thinking of buying a couple of springs for my seat and fitting them on the bike if they'll help.

RedneckMedic
08-14-2010, 07:28 PM
i have them on my bike because it is a hard tail and i can tell a difference with that but since yours is still a soft tail i dont know if you would notice much of a difference. im going to be getting one of the saddleman gel pads to throw on when i go on longer trips.

Bob
08-14-2010, 10:50 PM
i have them on my bike because it is a hard tail and i can tell a difference with that but since yours is still a soft tail i dont know if you would notice much of a difference. im going to be getting one of the saddleman gel pads to throw on when i go on longer trips.

I was thinking of those pads too. If you get one let me know how it works out for you.

It's a soft tail but I keep the shock at the stiffest setting so my floorboards don't rub as much so it tends to be a rough ride at times.

Gas Man
08-14-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm looking at doing a spring seat on the wife's nightster... I think it will look cool.

Bob
08-14-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm looking at doing a spring seat on the wife's nightster... I think it will look cool.

I'm looking at springs now. i wonder what would be better? Regular springs or scissor springs. I'm thinking for my bike the scissor springs might look and fit best.

Gas Man
08-14-2010, 11:07 PM
I wondered the same thing.

Bob
08-14-2010, 11:24 PM
I was even looking at those shocks but did not want to pay $50 for a set. I'd really like an airbag setup like DTP muscle did on one of their rides. But I'm sure that would get costly and I'm trying not to add stuff like air compressors.

Gas Man
08-15-2010, 12:01 AM
oh yeah that would be nice too. But springs are classic!

RedneckMedic
08-15-2010, 12:02 AM
i have both if you want me to give you both to try im not going to use them i have two sets of scissors one are 3" another is 3.5 and regurlar springs i believe are 4"

Bob
08-15-2010, 12:15 AM
Thanks man! I actually think I might have to go with the 2" scissors to do it without much modification. I'm going to look at it tomorrow when I'm not half asleep.

Bob
08-15-2010, 12:17 AM
p.s. Where did you get your springs? I found the scissors online for $15 a set.

RedneckMedic
08-15-2010, 12:33 AM
two pairs came with 2 seperate seats and the other two i think i got off ebay. none of them were expensive and 15 sounds about right. just keep in mind you want them a little bigger cause when you sit they compress and you still want some travel in them so they give cushion. my seat botttoms out on my fender sometimes and hurts more than when i didnt run the springer seat

alhall88
08-15-2010, 08:12 AM
One of the best riding seats are the police air bag ones, that you can buy pretty cheap. Lots of people buy the police bikes and the first thing they do is ditch the police saddle.Thats if you have a road king or electra glide.

telecast
08-15-2010, 11:26 AM
When do your floorboards rub? Tough to believe you're grinding the boards on that bike. I'd start by loosening the shocks one notch at a time and trying it out. That bike was made to carry two-up, it seems like you should be able to arrive at a happy medium with the existing shocks, especially solo.

If you have to take Ibuprofen before a ride, you can't loosen the shocks because of the floorboards, and you're going to depend on a spring loaded seat, time for a different bike. And if it bothers you that much I wouldn't even consider the rigid frame you're talking about, why suffer? A cool bike is one thing, but if you can't get comfortable for even 2 hours it's time to rethink. Maybe cut your losses and look into a 1500 or 1600 Vulcan or one of the other tourers. Something with air shocks.

Bob
08-15-2010, 11:38 AM
When do your floorboards rub? Tough to believe you're grinding the boards on that bike. I'd start by loosening the shocks one notch at a time and trying it out. That bike was made to carry two-up, it seems like you should be able to arrive at a happy medium with the existing shocks, especially solo.

If you have to take Ibuprofen before a ride, you can't loosen the shocks because of the floorboards, and you're going to depend on a spring loaded seat, time for a different bike. And if it bothers you that much I wouldn't even consider the rigid frame you're talking about, why suffer? A cool bike is one thing, but if you can't get comfortable for even 2 hours it's time to rethink. Maybe cut your losses and look into a 1500 or 1600 Vulcan or one of the other tourers. Something with air shocks.

When I corner they will rub often if I'm on a softer setting. It's not the bike, it's for sure the seat. I just need more padding. The LaRosa's are like sitting on a metal pan.

I was never considering a rigid frame. I don't see myself on a rigid frame bike while living in Michigan.

telecast
08-15-2010, 11:41 AM
I was never considering a rigid frame. I don't see myself on a rigid frame bike while living in Michigan.

Huh?

From the "Let's Talk Harleys" thread:

I was also thinking of trying to find a wrecked bike and go from there. Maybe even a bent frame and just get a new hard tail frame for it or something.

I'm confused.....

Bob
08-15-2010, 01:17 PM
Huh?

From the "Let's Talk Harleys" thread:

I'm confused.....

Me too. LOL I meant soft tail. I like having shocks.

Gas Man
08-15-2010, 05:40 PM
I drag my floor boards all the time. Worse time was with the wife on back... I pushed right past floor board drag, right to dragging the supports to the floor boards... those didn't give so the ass end slipped out just outside the apex of the corner... it was FUN!

Bob
08-15-2010, 08:35 PM
I drag my floor boards all the time. Worse time was with the wife on back... I pushed right past floor board drag, right to dragging the supports to the floor boards... those didn't give so the ass end slipped out just outside the apex of the corner... it was FUN!

Yeah, it really sucked the first few times but I've gotten used to it now. I need some titanium bolts to scrape instead of the s.s. ones now. At least it'll put off a show.

I think most of us guys that came from sportbikes to cruisers find ourselves scraping often. At least from my experience. You are so used to leaning the thing.

apex factor
08-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I find my seat decently comfortable but my lower back kills me after a longish ride, I have springs under my seat but I wonder if it is the angle at which I'm riding rather than the seat.

I scrape my floor boards...I like how they are comfortable but I don't like the look. I'll probably switch mine to pegs and for long trips maybe throw the boards on...

Bob
08-15-2010, 10:48 PM
I think I might just try adjusting my shock back down to the factory "4" setting. i have it maxxed out at "7" right now.

Bob
08-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I find my seat decently comfortable but my lower back kills me after a longish ride, I have springs under my seat but I wonder if it is the angle at which I'm riding rather than the seat.

I scrape my floor boards...I like how they are comfortable but I don't like the look. I'll probably switch mine to pegs and for long trips maybe throw the boards on...

I like the look of forward controls better too but floorboards have spoiled me. LOL I had aluminum pegs, no rubber, on my GSXR and my feet would be numb after a day at the track. I should of had floorboards on that too! :)

RedneckMedic
08-15-2010, 11:44 PM
ya i love my larosa it looks sweet and feels comfortable at first but then my butt goes numb so i did order a gel pad just to set on top when i go for longer runs that im just going to cover in some fabric. its basically the same dimensions as the seat so i hope it works out good. ive never had a problem with scraping the pegs on the bike i call see the feelers are all scraped up but i have never felt it.

Bob
08-15-2010, 11:52 PM
ya i love my larosa it looks sweet and feels comfortable at first but then my butt goes numb so i did order a gel pad just to set on top when i go for longer runs that im just going to cover in some fabric. its basically the same dimensions as the seat so i hope it works out good. ive never had a problem with scraping the pegs on the bike i call see the feelers are all scraped up but i have never felt it.

Let me know how the gel pad works out. I was looking into having gel put into the LaRosa but I got a few prices and they were all over what I was wanting to pay.

It's probably not as bad as I make it sound really. I've had pinched nerves and minor back troubles for a while now so it probably just effects me more. It's not like after 2 hours of riding I'm in tears.