PDA

View Full Version : Brake bleeder

Bob
08-14-2010, 05:44 PM
For those of you with a brake bleeder, what brand are you using? Are they all created about equal? I bled the brakes on my Kawi and they still seem a little low. I did it by hand and got all of the old fluid and air out, I think, and all new fluid in.

Chris300s
08-16-2010, 09:59 PM
The principle's the same. A Miti-Vac just makes it go faster. I derive some strange pleasure of seeing the dark fluid fill up a Corona bottle, whether fast or slow.

Bob
08-16-2010, 10:03 PM
The principle's the same. A Miti-Vac just makes it go faster. I derive some strange pleasure of seeing the dark fluid fill up a Corona bottle, whether fast or slow.

So the bleeders don't do a better job or anything than doing it the old way?

Chris300s
08-17-2010, 04:57 PM
Some guys swear that you can't do the rears on a Sporty without a Miti-Vac. Once I rebuild my damaged MC I had no problem doing it either way.
One nice thing about the mitivac is being able to put suction on the open bleeder valve and then being able to toggle the brake lever or whatever. The different tips allow you to pull vac. on the line, resevoir or MC if you're replacing lines.

Chris

Bob
08-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Some guys swear that you can't do the rears on a Sporty without a Miti-Vac. Once I rebuild my damaged MC I had no problem doing it either way.
One nice thing about the mitivac is being able to put suction on the open bleeder valve and then being able to toggle the brake lever or whatever. The different tips allow you to pull vac. on the line, resevoir or MC if you're replacing lines.

Chris

Yeah, after bleeding my rears they fell much lower now. I might try one of those bleeders.

vortech302
08-17-2010, 08:55 PM
I had to get one to do the rear on my bike and was definitely happy. Something that took 15 minutes by hand and wasn't done was accomplished in two minutes. I gave it to a buddy otherwise I'd drop it off to you.

junkyardjon
08-17-2010, 09:12 PM
i have a air vac bleeder but on bikes i still do it the old fashion way, never a problem. i put a clear hose over the nipple so i can see the bubbles and it don't suck air back in. only time i use the vac bleeder is on auto, just way more line to pull through

Gas Man
08-18-2010, 10:57 AM

Chris
Got a link to which model you have? I have always done old school but have thought about buying something...

and what's a god price for a complete setup like that?

Mudpuppy
08-18-2010, 11:23 AM
Someone I knew us the vaculator or something.. seemed to work pretty good.. maybe it was vacula?

Lasermax
08-18-2010, 11:26 AM
i have a air vac bleeder but on bikes i still do it the old fashion way, never a problem. i put a clear hose over the nipple so i can see the bubbles and it don't suck air back in. only time i use the vac bleeder is on auto, just way more line to pull through
Yea the clear hose is definitely the way to go. I do hear a lot about the vac bleeders and I know they're extremely useful, but I guess I'm putting off buying one till I really need it. I'm old school slow and cheap.

junkyardjon
08-18-2010, 06:18 PM
just watch it so you don't empty the master. done that a few times LOL

Chris300s
08-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Got a link to which model you have? I have always done old school but have thought about buying something...

and what's a god price for a complete setup like that?

I don't actually own one. I borrowed one from Mick the Prick and broke it (I think it was due and I just happened to be holding it at the time), so I replaced it. I think I found it on sale for $30 give or take.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac-vacuum-pump-39522.html

Gas Man
08-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Sweet... maybe I'll get one. I got a brake line replacement job on the wife's nightster comig up. When I put on her apes... it might be handy to have for that.