PDA

View Full Version : Going on vacation? Not me.

telecast
08-12-2010, 04:25 PM
Up until this morning I thought it was just me, but a new survey indicates that there are a large number of people (can't recall exactly, but somehwere around 35%) not taking vacations this year because they're afraid if they do they won't have a job when they return. Of those that are going on vacay, over 25% are taking their work with them, laptops and company cell phones so they can stay in contact.

That's not a vacation, and it sucks. Constant stress over losing your job has become the norm for a whole lot of people.

meinschaft
08-12-2010, 04:55 PM
When we start showing up at Home Depot parking lots at 4 a.m. to get hired for day jobs paying $6-$8/hour watch all the jobs come back. Of course there will be no vacations then, either. Or benefits.

Welcome to the Third-Worlding of America.

Rider
08-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Nope I don't take my laptop on vacation nor do I have a company cell phone. I get 4 weeks of vacation and I use every damn day.

aeryck
08-12-2010, 05:05 PM
Nope I don't take my laptop on vacation nor do I have a company cell phone. I get 4 weeks of vacation and I use every damn day.

+1.

I only get 3 weeks right now but I don't let it go to waste. I even plan creatively to make the most of my vacation time, mixing it up around legal holidays for extra time off. (Case in point; aug 30th thru sept 3rd is my next vacation and labor day on the 6th means I get a free day.)

Bob
08-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Best thing I ever did was dump my business. Was nice to go fishing this year and not worry about how I'm going to check my email or get phone signal.

zamochit
08-13-2010, 01:06 AM
I bought the wife and kids plane tickets and we are heading out on the 8 o'clock flight to Tampa!

Gas Man
08-13-2010, 11:03 PM
I just went on "vacation". Problem is because we are short handed that when I go back on monday Aug 16th. My next day off isn't till Sep 23. Yes that is EVERY day, 12 hour shifts... do the math! Sure my paychecks will be nice... but that's not living IMO

Bob
08-14-2010, 08:53 AM
I just went on "vacation". Problem is because we are short handed that when I go back on monday Aug 16th. My next day off isn't till Sep 23. Yes that is EVERY day, 12 hour shifts... do the math! Sure my paychecks will be nice... but that's not living IMO

I hear that man. I used to hang with a guy at the Trenton Engine Plant. He was working 13 hour days 7 days a week with a wife and 2 kids. Dude had an awesome new house when we hung and now has an even newer house. Has nice rides and toys too. But he was always working.

Gas Man
08-14-2010, 01:46 PM
That's my issue... next weekend off and nothing going on... Nov 6th

Mad Dog
08-14-2010, 06:19 PM
My next day off isn't till Sep 23.
Hey, that's my birthday!:D I'll call ya and have a beer over the phone!

Chain
08-14-2010, 06:35 PM

Damn straight there! I use mine and some!:D We always pack the laptop, we go up across the bridge ALOT and plan our days ride that morning over breakfast, keeping it spontaneous!

Damn Chris! That sucks! I don't care how good the cheese is! That's not living!

Bob
08-14-2010, 06:47 PM

Luckily for me I can bank my vacation time so if I can't use it all up in one year it just carries over. I have quite a few days stacked. This year I've just been sort of taking days off here and there when I needed it. As our daughter gets older we'll for sure be going.

I usually end up taking my laptop though. Sometimes I never use it and it stays in the case all trip and sometimes I use it. I usually end up using it for googling things in the area where we stay or to put a backup of the vacation pictures.

Gas Man
08-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Hey, that's my birthday!:D I'll call ya and have a beer over the phone!

Do Eeet!

Damn Chris! That sucks! I don't care how good the cheese is! That's not living!

Exactly...

Chain
08-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Do Eeet!

Exactly...

At least you get to do some good riding with your down time! Got some good miles on the skoot so far? We've put 1200 on the chopper and 3700 on the SG thus far, not as much as I'd like, but with 1 kid still @ home kinda puts a damper....

Gas Man
08-16-2010, 09:57 PM
Not doing bad... about 7k already this year. Will probably do 10k for the year. I got a 1500 mile lake michigan trip coming up next month, plus little riding here and there. But then again, I'm also putting miles on the nightster as well. For example riding it all week this week to work.

Mudpuppy
08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
staycation

Gas Man
08-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Does it still qualify as staycation if you stay in the state?

Mudpuppy
08-20-2010, 12:17 PM
No. Definition of a staycation:

Origin: USA
Date: 2008
Modern Day English

Definition: Due to the elite few needing to squeeze a few more pennies out of the masses and in an effort to completely decimate what is left of the middle class a new form of vacation was created called a "staycation". It is similar to being sodomized repeatedly until eventual death after grueling pain. Basically you work harder then ever before and get absolutely nothing in return but requested to work even harder. Pay is typically cut along with any chance of pension or any benefits. You mark "vacation" on your time card but work the whole week and work unpaid overtime to boot.

Any questions?

Gas Man
08-21-2010, 06:50 PM
F that. I turn my phones the F off when I'm not working that day!