PDA

View Full Version : I got it backwards..

Mudpuppy
08-09-2010, 04:42 PM
So I think I have the master plan figured out:

1. Sell the newer car and older bike
2. Get an older truck and a newer bike

Problem solved..

So I am shopping pickups and R1s. Now if I can lower my monthly payment it's a done deal as far as the fun governor, aka wife, is concerned. Kind of hard on the bike though because I have no payment as I paid cash for it. That is why I am going with "older" truck. Thinking F150, Ranger, Colorado, S10, etc. Whatever works. Something with an extended cab so I can put car seats back there.

If anyone knows of any deals let me know.

I found a 2006 LE R1 for $6,000 that I didn't think was too bad. And I found a 2005 Colorado for $7,900 but it was a regular cab (fail).

Thruxtonbill
08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Carseats hahaha, damn I'm glad those days are long behind me.
Yeah you can find single cab anything all day for cheap (that's cause nobody wants em) Be careful of the 5 cyl in the colorado, I would not recommend it.
Would you be interested S15 PU? If so let me know, I know of one.
BTW I have 2 minivans for sale cheap, if you're secure with your manhood.:D
I will be going to the auction Tues so I can look around for you.

Mudpuppy
08-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Well if the wife has it the way she wants and if she gets me drunk and takes advantage (bah who I am kidding I'd do it raw dog and bail sober i am a cheap and e-z whore) of me then there will be yet another car seat in the future.. my deal was new bike we can have another kid.. so i am treading dangerous ground here.. but i like to live by the sword.. pain is temporary glory is forever..

I am secure in my manhood and would drive a minivan with "free candy" written on the side that was a former meth lab if I can get the new bike and if it had a wheel chock in it so I can haul the bike around.. So yes definitely interested in the S15 PU. Thanks for the tip on the 5 cyl in the Colorado. I am more of a Ford fan but like I said new bike I don't care what I drive. Cages, unless a sports car or a bad ass truck, are just utility vehicles kind of like purgatory.. a means to an end.. so who cares right? just no foreign vehicles - don't want to get into that debate just need Ford or Chevy, period..

I just figured I would throw my hair brained idea out there and see by chance if someone had some input - so thanks.. I think its genius.. Leveraging what funds I have available to get the most out of them.. Saves me on insurance, interest and I am all set up to put the bike in the truck and go to the track or to Deal's Gap.. no worries..

Bob
08-09-2010, 08:37 PM
I think that is the way to go man. I have a 1997 Grand Marquis with only 70K miles. I'd rather have an older good running car and a newer bike. I'd love to have a brand new bike.

Mudpuppy
08-10-2010, 11:31 AM
You think so, I think so.. we might be the only ones.. I am dead set on getting a new bike ASAP so I will figure something out I guess.. I have been searching Ebay, Cycletrader and Craig's List.. there are a few good deals out there.. And I have a local dealer running some numbers for me on 07 through 10 R1s.. seeing what kind of deal I can get on new.. they actually have new "07" still on the floor so they must want to off those.. I am thinking though if I get new I am leaning towards 09 or 10..

I was considering this morning just keeping my car and taking a 401k loan out to buy a new bike.. i bought my 00 R6 with a 401k disbursement when i left my previous company.. should have heard the financial guy - oh cashing it out is the worst thing you can do.. are you going to roll it over into an IRA or something? Nope. What are you going to do with the money? Buy a bike. At that point I think he had a heart attack. And I know not the best use of retirement money blah blah f'cking blah but when I am 59-1/2 or older am I going to be buying bikes or regretting that I didn't when I was younger.. And the way this market and country are going who knows if there will be anything left anyways? If there is then we can use my wife's 401k to retire.. lol..

Thruxtonbill
08-10-2010, 05:57 PM
The S15 is gone. I got some irons in the fire for ya, see what happens.

Gas Man
08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I use to have a I-5 colorado at work. Nice truck and motor. I liked it. Put lots of miles on it, with NO, I repeat NO troubles!

What about one of those little ford cargo vans with seats.

RedneckMedic
08-12-2010, 01:17 AM
dont get me wrong i love my ranger and don't really want to get rid of it but it has to be one of the roughest riding vehicles i have ever driven. however it has been very reliable and even with 135000 on the clock i would still drive it across the country ( but some how praying that it blows up to give my cheap ass an excuse to get a new vehicle).

i feel the same way as you guys do i would much rather drive a pos as long as i can still ride. but who cares since my girlfriend has an '10 malibu ill let her buy the good cars and ill keep the bike. me and my buddy brad talk about it all the time our girls have the good cars we keep out pos trucks. you guys downriver have probably seen his ranger you cant miss it, it is a 96 extended cab lifted a little with a black cab and white step side bed we call it the border collie truck cuz it reminds us of his dog.

hey mud good luck on the bike search but think i like the 07 r1 better all the brand new bikes kinda look funny to me for some reason but i haven't looked into performance differences yet

telecast
08-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Check your insurance rates before you buy a Ranger. It's one of the most popular vehicles for teens and early 20's. Because of that the rates are a lot higher than another brand of the same type truck. I looked at one a long time ago, the insurance on a used one was higher than a new S-10 at the time.

RedneckMedic
08-12-2010, 10:28 AM
ya insurance for is high but im young its about 60 a month and thats just plpd

Gas Man
08-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Could also go the angle of a cheaper car.

Chevy Aveo $10k-$15k
Ford Fiesta ~$15K-$20K

RoadZombie
08-17-2010, 12:36 AM
dont get me wrong i love my ranger and don't really want to get rid of it but it has to be one of the roughest riding vehicles i have ever driven. however it has been very reliable and even with 135000 on the clock i would still drive it across the country ( but some how praying that it blows up to give my cheap ass an excuse to get a new vehicle).

I had a 96 extended cab with the SOHC 4.0L (only put in Explorers at that time. Has 40 more horse stock vs. the pushrod version..got an awesome deal on one with 15k out of an ass-packed one). Then had the Vortec supercharger kit put on along with some other tweeks...good for 300-325HP at the rear wheels. I didnt think it rode rough...just went through a lot of rear tires. ;-) I even had a 2"/3" drop on mine. That truck had 170k on it when I got rid of it. The trans was screwed up for probably the last 40k of that...had to force shift it into anything over 2nd and reverse was pretty much gone. It still managed to never leave me stranded. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

Granted, the 05 F150 I have now rides like a Cadillac / sports car. Compareably...the Ranger rode like a truck. Still wouldn't call it a "rough ride" though.

RedneckMedic
08-17-2010, 01:32 AM
its not that its rough its that it is so light when i hit a bump it just about throws your ass into the next lane. ive only got the little baby d engine in it and i was thinking about putting some money in it and stuffing a bad ass motor in it but the project would take too long for me to w/o transportation besides the bike and then this year a shit ton of body rust came out of no where so there goes that idea. but love the truck other than that.

Mudpuppy
08-18-2010, 12:19 PM
i found a nice 06 LE R1 like the one I rented down south and for a good price.. just not sure what i want to do.. looking at the big picture right now and trying to plan, etc.

RedneckMedic
08-18-2010, 06:09 PM
i know what you mean i got tempted by a 2010 street glide today at the dealership it just kept calling my name and the dealer wasnt making it any easier to walk away he kept talking about it and i get talked into things very easy thankfully my friend pulled me away.

Gas Man
08-20-2010, 09:51 AM
Dude... a SG would be perfect for a 2nd bike for you. Or you talkin abt trade in?

Thruxtonbill
08-20-2010, 12:09 PM
MP, I'm still on the lookout for a truck for ya, everything I have seen so far is less then par.

Mudpuppy
08-20-2010, 12:13 PM
I am probably off the truck thing so don't worry about it.

I just had it out with the wife and things are changing drastically starting today. She has done a poor job of using our money efficiently. So I am figuring out what bills we owe every month and then the difference in our income then we are splitting up the bills and doing our own finances. So that probably means I will just keep the car and go get a 2009 R1. They have quite a few left over and are offing them for a decent price. Either that or that 2006 R1. But I will leave the car alone for now I guess. When I pay it off it will be another story. Then I will probably make a move to a truck.

Thruxtonbill
08-20-2010, 02:05 PM
I am probably off the truck thing so don't worry about it.

I just had it out with the wife and things are changing drastically starting today. She has done a poor job of using our money efficiently. So I am figuring out what bills we owe every month and then the difference in our income then we are splitting up the bills and doing our own finances. So that probably means I will just keep the car and go get a 2009 R1. They have quite a few left over and are offing them for a decent price. Either that or that 2006 R1. But I will leave the car alone for now I guess. When I pay it off it will be another story. Then I will probably make a move to a truck.
Fair enough, good luck whatever you do.

RoadZombie
08-21-2010, 01:24 PM
its not that its rough its that it is so light when i hit a bump it just about throws your ass into the next lane. ive only got the little baby d engine in it and i was thinking about putting some money in it and stuffing a bad ass motor in it but the project would take too long for me to w/o transportation besides the bike and then this year a shit ton of body rust came out of no where so there goes that idea. but love the truck other than that.

Hmm never really had that problem either. Maybe the heavier engine helped. Mine was also the extended cab. Could just need new shocks too.

RedneckMedic
08-21-2010, 08:39 PM
ive had them replaced once didnt change it my buddies truck is the same so it just must be the extra weight. i dont really notice it until i drive the girlfriends car for a few days then go back.