PDA

View Full Version : Michigan CY endorsement

Steven
08-06-2010, 01:25 PM
I was toying with the idea of getting a cycle again. I used to have the edorsement, but let it lapse many years ago. I didn't have a motorcycle for years, so I didn't renew it.

I took a class, and still have the card, although I just read online today, that you have only a one year, from the date of completion, to get the endorsement now. Back than, the state still had the skills test at the SoS, and we had to do that too. After eight motorcycles the thought of doing that class again is not filling me with ambition (and a serious lack of summer time off work), but I guess you can just take the skills test and pass a written test now ( I was 17 at the time).

My question is this, is your cycle endorsement part of your permanent record only if you maintain it at each renewal? Do I have to start from scratch now? I couldn't find any specific info on Michigan.gov/sos/ site.

Mudpuppy
08-06-2010, 01:36 PM
Once you get it and as long as you renew it then you are golden. I know a lot of people that got it ages ago and still have it even though they don't have a bike.

I think you can just take the road test and written test which isn't too bad.

meinschaft
08-06-2010, 02:01 PM
You have to take a written test then do the skills test (or vice-versa). The State of Michigan now contracts with private operators to administer the skills test. I suggest you call or stop at a Sec. of State's office and find out how to schedule the skills test. I did mine in the parking lot of Ladywood High School in Livonia. I passed and took the paperwork to the SOS and got my license w/cycle endorsement. Easy-peasy.

Steven
08-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the quick response. 20/20 hindsight and I would of kept it, but at the time money was really tight, and save a buck now, that costs $10 later denial mentality was in full force. If I had to guess, starting from scratch was gonna be the answer, just wanted to make sure because most places/people around here that test, that I could find online, just show up with a clipboard and some cones. I have a cousin that does school bus and truck drivers, but too lazy to get accredited/certified for motorcycles, I've tried to get her to do it, not like her man can't help her out, been riding hogs for 30 years. Sigh, you can pick your friends .....

So the lack of cycle or access to one, ideally one that is small and nimble, is a problem. A work buddy might lend me a hog, but that isn't ideal. It would suck hard to drop it, in those silly 2mph manuevers that don't matter one bit in real motocycle safety, at least that was how it was last time. Worse yet after I totally pay out to fix it, I would never hear the end of it. Probably doable in a low one without much trouble, but not worth the risk to someone cool enough to lend one out, I am a little rusty afterall, it could happen, they are fricking heavy.

I will have to ask around, I think one guy bought a 250 rebel for a girlfriend to learn on, and I think he kept the bike, I know the gf got the boot. Ok done flapping my virtual pie hole.

telecast
08-06-2010, 02:57 PM
I thought they provided the bikes at the classes nowadays? Rebels seem to be the bike DuJour.

ALWAYS keep your endorsement. I stopped riding for 24 years +/-, which is 6 renewals. Back in the day it was $0.50 for the CY, now it's what, $2? Even at $2 it cost me a total of $12 over that period or $0.50/year. I can't imagine money ever being that tight.

Steven
08-06-2010, 03:28 PM
$7 than, $13.50 now ... 50 cents? ... lol... wife pays the bills? I couldn't see the need for it, and I could eat for several days on 7 bucks, eating is good.

The skills test is what I was on about, not the safety class, which have the bikes provided. Skills test, you have to provide your own, at least around here, no rentals that I could see, except for cars.

Like I said earlier, 20/20 hindsight it would of been different, live and learn. No internet back than to bust my chops but give good advice like yours.

Always keep endorsement, hassle avoidance worth every penny.

Mudpuppy
08-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Need someone with a Ninja 250 or something to borrow.. that is the best way to take it.. or an enduro..

aeryck
08-06-2010, 05:21 PM
Heh, I knew someone with a ninja 250. she apparently fell off the face of the planet though.

It's a great bike for the skills test; I got my CY with the MSF class when I had my Ninja 250 and it was great for the tight maneuvers.

Bob
08-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Need someone with a Ninja 250 or something to borrow.. that is the best way to take it.. or an enduro..

Or a Blast. Biker Bob's rents Buell Blast for their test.

Mudpuppy
08-06-2010, 09:51 PM
oh yeah a blast would be great..

Gas Man
08-06-2010, 10:44 PM
They covered most parts.

Check with your HD dealer up there. Can't remember the name. See if they do the classes. I'm not suggesting the $250 riders edge class. However, they will usually let you rent one of their buell blasts and do the test right in their parking lot. I know my dealership in Taylor does.

Oh and Welcome.

Steven
08-06-2010, 10:56 PM
^^^ thats a real good tip, considering Gilbert's HD is one of only two listed at the SecofState site as doing skills test and just down the block from me, and someone does classes down the other way from me at the school, probably them as well. In the chart it said no rentals but wouldn't hurt to ask, was trying to avoid them since somebody mentioned "Biker Bob's", don't want to get their hopes up for a sale. Few at work care for them, and alot of my coworkers have harleys, but don't take that as fact, just what I hear. Bob's inventory is amazing, that two-tone green and black CVO is stunning. I am familiar with the Taylor area, when I trained, I stayed there in hotel, thought I'd take a look. Layover in Woodhaven quite often nowadays.

I know they don't allow test drives without endorsement, already asked :cool:

btw its hard to read your posts ... that signature gif, is umm, just a little bit distracting.

Fishman
08-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Plan on paying at least $60 or so for the skills test. If you take the MC Safety class for $25 they supply the bike and it includes the test.

Bob
08-07-2010, 08:40 AM
^^^ thats a real good tip, considering Gilbert's HD is one of only two listed at the SecofState site as doing skills test and just down the block from me, and someone does classes down the other way from me at the school, probably them as well. In the chart it said no rentals but wouldn't hurt to ask, was trying to avoid them since somebody mentioned "Biker Bob's", don't want to get their hopes up for a sale. Few at work care for them, and alot of my coworkers have harleys, but don't take that as fact, just what I hear. Bob's inventory is amazing, that two-tone green and black CVO is stunning. I am familiar with the Taylor area, when I trained, I stayed there in hotel, thought I'd take a look. Layover in Woodhaven quite often nowadays.

I know they don't allow test drives without endorsement, already asked :cool:

btw its hard to read your posts ... that signature gif, is umm, just a little bit distracting.
I don't think the sales guys will be looking for any sales when you go to take the test. I know at Biker Bob's you are in the parking lot the entire time and nowhere near the sales department. Last time I saw them doing the test at Biker Bob's it was mostly sportbike riders too.

Gas Man
08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
Just don't waste your time with the MSF. Their bikes are JUNK!!! So much so that it effects your skills test. Honestly.

Rider
08-12-2010, 08:20 AM
Just don't waste your time with the MSF. Their bikes are JUNK!!! So much so that it effects your skills test. Honestly.
If you take the MSF then you don't need to take a skills test, they give it to you during the MSF class on their bikes. Their bikes are shit but I passed my skills test with a perfect score.

Gas Man
08-13-2010, 10:19 PM
I have passed the MSF before as well on their POS bikes. But seriously, I watched some people wreck or stall the bike in the test because of their POS faulty crap bikes... then didn't pass due to.