PDA

View Full Version : Harley may be moving out of WI

Bob
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm really surprised this has not been posted yet. I'm sure most of you heard the talk already anyway but for those who have not:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jhl9h4Uqh0Ud33VphDRevvA6BllwD9HCR60O0

telecast
08-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Heard it a few weeks back. Just the factory though, the HQ will remain.

Mudpuppy
08-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Haven't only heard the talk I know a lot more info then they are releasing. Actually I was in a meeting about it this morning.

Put it this way if they film Slumdog Millionaire Part II you might see the HD factory in the background.

telecast
08-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Oh, bullshit. I call shenanigans.

Do I find it believable they'd open a factory overseas for bikes sold overseas? Yes. Do I find it believable they'd close their US factories, build overseas and ship them back? No. Hell, even Honda figured that one out.

Made in the USA for umpteen years is their one claim to fame. Lose that and you may as well fold up shop. And Milwaukee isn't the only factory.

Chain
08-06-2010, 06:18 PM
This has happened before, they're simply trying to get concessions from the unions, and scare tactics in these days work!

Mudpuppy
08-06-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh, bullshit. I call shenanigans.

Do I find it believable they'd open a factory overseas for bikes sold overseas? Yes. Do I find it believable they'd close their US factories, build overseas and ship them back? No. Hell, even Honda figured that one out.

Made in the USA for umpteen years is their one claim to fame. Lose that and you may as well fold up shop. And Milwaukee isn't the only factory.

This is the deal.

1. They already have Asian content on their bikes
2. They have a factory in Brazil
3. They are building a plant in India - they claim to avoid import tariffs so they can sell bikes in India. I am just not sure who in India is going to buy these? They live in cardboard boxes and eat their own feces because they are so broke. If they buy anything its $3,000 cars and even cheaper mopeds.
4. They are building another plant near one of their US plants - can't say where its still in the planning stages.
5. They are in planning stages for a plant in Eastern Europe as well. I am sure to build Harleys in Europe to sell in Europe - that is actually plausible.

And yes I am well aware Milwaukee isn't their own plant. We do work in all their plants - STL, York, etc.

Not sure what their master plan is but I bet they really don't advertise the Asian content on their bikes either. They kind of slid that in there along the way. And not too many people know of the Brazil plant either. But they are definitely not closing US factories - I think its more restructuring. They had their big battle with the union last year. If they were closing US factories it would have been then.

Bob
08-06-2010, 06:42 PM
This is the deal.

1. They already have Asian content on their bikes
2. They have a factory in Brazil
3. They are building a plant in India - they claim to avoid import tariffs so they can sell bikes in India. I am just not sure who in India is going to buy these? They live in cardboard boxes and eat their own feces because they are so broke. If they buy anything its $3,000 cars and even cheaper mopeds.
4. They are building another plant near one of their US plants - can't say where its still in the planning stages.
5. They are in planning stages for a plant in Eastern Europe as well. I am sure to build Harleys in Europe to sell in Europe - that is actually plausible.

And yes I am well aware Milwaukee isn't their own plant. We do work in all their plants - STL, York, etc.

Not sure what their master plan is but I bet they really don't advertise the Asian content on their bikes either. They kind of slid that in there along the way. And not too many people know of the Brazil plant either. But they are definitely not closing US factories - I think its more restructuring. They had their big battle with the union last year. If they were closing US factories it would have been then.

Thanks for that info. man!

I wonder who is more "American" as far as content? HD or Victory?

telecast
08-06-2010, 06:45 PM
1. I know. I ned a 10mm wrench to work on parts of my bike. Rear axle is metric too.
2. I know
3. Only part of the country is poor. You can't have poor people unless you have rich people, by definition. Besides, once they build their plant there'll be 1,000 more people with jobs!
4. A midwest state comes to mind, seems like maybe Iowa or Missouri?
5. Doesn't surprise me, they should've done it long ago.

Now, see, that all makes a lot more sense than your cryptic first post!

Bob
08-06-2010, 06:51 PM
1. I know. I ned a 10mm wrench to work on parts of my bike. Rear axle is metric too.
2. I know
3. Only part of the country is poor. You can't have poor people unless you have rich people, by definition. Besides, once they build their plant there'll be 1,000 more people with jobs!
4. A midwest state comes to mind, seems like maybe Iowa or Missouri?
5. Doesn't surprise me, they should've done it long ago.

Now, see, that all makes a lot more sense than your cryptic first post!

The carbs, if the bike has carbs, most likely came from Japan too. I know the carb on my Kawi is the same on a lot of Harleys. Makes it easy to get parts for my carb anyway.

I've been really wanting a HD lately and have been thinking of starting to piece one together. If it takes me 3 years to finish so be it.

Wherever they move it'll probably a right to work state for sure.

Anyone know if they've dumped MV yet? I know they had it for sale.

Mudpuppy
08-06-2010, 10:48 PM
i wasn't intending on being too cryptic in the first post just i really shouldn't share too much info as we are partnered up with them, etc. and i am not sure how much they are willing to release at least until they get everything together.. a lot of it is not public knowledge, at least from the people i talk to.. i can't really say where the new US plant is because we are bidding on the job and its not finalized yet.. when we have PO in hand i will let you know..

Gas Man
08-06-2010, 11:38 PM
This has happened before, they're simply trying to get concessions from the unions, and scare tactics in these days work!
This!

They did the EXACT same thing in York, PA & Kansas.