PDA

View Full Version : The air show cometh...preliminary pics!

telecast
08-04-2010, 03:48 PM
Pics are rough, shot them through the passenger window of my truck while driving. Can you say 'texting is illegal'? Fortunately Airport Drive is pretty much deserted.

Anyway, a couple of B-17's flown in for the weekend. Neither of these belong to the YAF, their 17 and B-25 were in the hangar.

Here's a link to the website if anyone is interested. Advance sales save you $5 per ticket and $5 on parking.

http://www.yankeeairmuseum.org/airshow/

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/telecast_photos/P8040002.jpg
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/telecast_photos/P8040001.jpg

RedneckMedic
08-04-2010, 04:57 PM
this one would have been cool to see.

i thought it was ironic to see a sony camera on a bomber that is famous for bombing japan

bPJerWrsz0Q

telecast
08-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Excellent video!

Sounds like the focus this weekend will be primarily on 17's and 24's. I'm hoping one of the Liberators was built at Willow Run. I've seen a 24 that was built at another plant, but never one from Willow. If there's one there, odds are my mom helped build it.

alhall88
08-04-2010, 06:30 PM
The guy I work with is one of the pilots and volunteer crew that works on the B17. He has some great photos of the whole life of the plane. The charge around $425 for a 30 min ride that helps cover fuel and repair costs. he also told me to come up and he would give me a tour of the plane and sometimes they can let friends on for free if there are some seats left. his plane is owned by the Yankee air museum.

telecast
08-04-2010, 09:38 PM
When I lived in Belleville I went out there regularly to see the progress on that plane. It was a pretty amazing process. It was a sad day whe they lost the old hangar and all the memorabilia. They were lucky to save the 17, 25 and C-36.

A lot of people don't know the hangar that burned was part of the original factory. It was the repair hangar, where they'd take the B-24 Liberators if there was a problem after the shakedown flight.

I had often thought about joining just to help out on the 17. Never did.

Mudpuppy
08-05-2010, 12:03 AM
very cool.. i am planning on going sunday armed with my camera..

telecast
08-05-2010, 07:26 AM
I just read through the list of performers...there's going to be a 3 plane stunt team flying P-51 Mustangs!

I'm hoping they do some formation fly-by's with the bombers. I've seen the YAF's 17 fly many times, those old radial engines make a lot of noise. I've always wondered how it must've sounded to people on the ground when they were going overhead by the hundreds. Probably sounded pretty good to the English, not so great to the Nazis.

I'll be there Saturday with my son.

I have to go to New Haven this morning and Toldeo tomorrow morning, but I'm hoping to run by my project (just down the street from where those pics were taken) to see what else has been flown in. I'll try and grab some more through-the-fence preliminary shots.

Mudpuppy
08-05-2010, 10:03 AM
Keep us posted with some more stealth pics..

The list of performers is going to be modified - Jack Roush most likely won't be flying because he crashed his plane last week and is in the hospital..

Chris300s
08-05-2010, 11:21 AM
The 3-ship P-51 team are the Horsemen and they're awesome!
http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=7&a=feature

telecast
08-05-2010, 02:34 PM
Keep us posted with some more stealth pics..

The list of performers is going to be modified - Jack Roush most likely won't be flying because he crashed his plane last week and is in the hospital..

I heard that about Roush. Too bad, hope he'll be ok. I'll try and get more pics. Most stuff won't fly in until later tomorrow, all depends if they're coming from home or another show.

The 3-ship P-51 team are the Horsemen and they're awesome!
http://www.asb.tv/videos/view.php?v=7&a=feature

Suh-weet! This is going to be the best non-Angels/T-Birds airshow I've been to.

Mudpuppy
08-05-2010, 02:59 PM
personally blue angels or not every air show is cool to me.. i hope enough people don't go because the blue angels aren't there that it isn't as crowded.. the blue angels are amazing but when they do come back i am watching them from the car as i head out of the lot.. the traffic last year sucked ass..

yeah i am thinking maybe Roush shouldn't be flying? this isn't the first time he has crashed..

telecast
08-05-2010, 03:19 PM
Traffic goes with the territory. Go to the one at Selfridge. It's free and easier to get in and out.

Rider
08-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Hey mud,

Head up to Traverse City for the Cherry Festival 4th of July weekend. The Blue Angels do a good show there. There is also some other cool planes like A10's B25's F22's...

Bob
08-05-2010, 09:18 PM
I wish we where going. I have not been in years. A buddy of mine gets into the "vip" hangar because his dad is a pilot out of Willow.

Mudpuppy
08-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey mud,

Head up to Traverse City for the Cherry Festival 4th of July weekend. The Blue Angels do a good show there. There is also some other cool planes like A10's B25's F22's...

Sounds like a plan.. I will definitely keep that in mind..

telecast
08-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Not much more to see yet, there was one more B-17 in the line this afternoon. But while I was out there I watched the F-18, F-16, a group of what appeared to be 9 WWII Navy trainers, and the P-51's go through their practices.

Bob
08-06-2010, 05:44 PM
We saw a few flying over Wyandotte today while working. Saw one fly over my house while on lunch too.

Mudpuppy
08-06-2010, 09:50 PM
i think that is so cool.. when i used to live like a mile from selfridge we would always see them during the air show.. never went to the selfridge air show but don't think i really needed to - just put a chair out on the front lawn and watch all the different planes fly over..

Chris300s
08-07-2010, 10:29 AM
In case you guys are interested, the floks have a box at Reno this September with some empty seats (I can't go). If you're interested send me a PM. My dad's talking about riding out with a couple of guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7_oy95KdBY