PDA

View Full Version : Now I really have seen it all...

aeryck
07-27-2010, 03:35 PM
I do a lot of driving for work. I probably average 50,000 miles/year in the work truck.

I thought I've seen just about everything on the road... people reading newspapers, putting on makeup, changing clothes, etc..

I'm sure we've all seen someone juggling a fast food beverage and a cell phone before, but yesterday on my way home from work was a first.. Someone with a styrofoam beverage cup in one hand, holding the cell phone to the ear with the other hand.... on a Goldwing.

Damn I wish I woulda got a pic of that. It was something else.

Rider
07-27-2010, 03:49 PM
No hands on the bars? :eek:

aeryck
07-27-2010, 04:26 PM
The soft drink cup was in his left hand, holding the cup with his thumb/forefinger, and using his palm to steady the bar... His right hand was holding the phone.

Gotta love goldwings and their cruise control..

Oh, and this was on SB I-275 around 8 mile road... Left lane, poking along at about 65. That lane at that speed isn't safe for a car, let alone a bike. you'll get run over.

Frankenhippie
07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Maybe it's just me.... I've been down before, I've been pushed off the road by cagers not paying attention, I've had a fullsize van pull out in front of me. I remember with the van that I had a split second before he pulled out and thought to myself "he's gonna go". When he did, my whole body was already coiled and ready to react. jammed both brakes and swerved hard for the shoulder cuz the other traffic gave me no options. almost laid the bike down just stepping away from it's forward momentum. I dodged a major bullet that day. I never forget ANY of those moments when I'm on my bike riding. Never. I'm always watching, observing, reacting because most cagers aren't giving two shits about what their doing behind the wheel on the roads so I HAVE TO. LOL I don't feel I'm paranoid. Just mentally prepared... kinda like pulling on the leathers before heading out. Road rash hurts! The leather is a preventative measure. LOL

My point is... who in the hell is gonna ride a motorcycle while drinking something AND talking on a cell phone?!?!? That is just ASKING to be killed. Our only hope is that he hasn't already bred more like him. Darwin is waiting for this guy!

For me, as soon as I throw my leg over the bike, my cell is in a pocket, neatly tucked away until I get where I'm going. It's me, the bike, and the road.... that's it!

My $.02....

Chris300s
07-28-2010, 11:42 AM
When I was 16 I had to stuff my bike under a station wagon when a van pulled in front of him at the last minute, hit the car stopped at the light and naturally was hit by the station wagon in front of me.
I have always been a very defensive driver and rider since that accident. Every once in a while I get a little reminder like stupidly pulling my cell phone out while riding (once), or riding beyond my abilities (occasionally).
When I ride it's me, the bike and the road. I don't even ride with tunes.

Chris

telecast
07-28-2010, 01:20 PM
Not a big deal, he had the cruise control on.

SportstersPaul
07-28-2010, 06:40 PM
Not a big deal, he had the cruise control on.
Tim: Didn't you do a baptism once while riding across m-12?

Gas Man
07-29-2010, 05:44 PM
That is just ASKING to be killed.

He asked!

I just wish somebody would grant his wish. :(