PDA

View Full Version : Less Is More

meinschaft
07-27-2010, 02:00 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/business/economy/26earnings.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Great if you own stock. Not so great if you work for a living.

Rider
07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
I know many will disagree with me, but I know someone who works for HD motor company and the dropping of Buell has saved them a load of cash. Buell diehards will deny that Buell never made a single cent for HD but the fact of the matter is, Buell was a hole in which money was being dropped.

No more Buell = more cash for HD.

telecast
07-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Buell is certainly part of it. HD said they never made a profit on Buell, but that is partly HD's fault. They jammed them down dealer's throats trying to sell to a customer base that had little interest in even looking at them. Most of the dealers hid them in back rooms or stuck them off to the side. HD would have been further ahead to join up with someone like Ducati or Guzzi, or market them with the metrics.

The story doesn't surprise me. I see things that've changed in my company that will most likely never go back to the old way, or if it ever does it'll take a very long time. Everyone will have to forget what this period was like before things ease up. If a company can make more money with less people, they will. If it was my company, I sure as hell would. That doesn't make it any eaier to stomach, but it's an unfortunate truth.

meinschaft
07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Buell is certainly part of it. HD said they never made a profit on Buell, but that is partly HD's fault. They jammed them down dealer's throats trying to sell to a customer base that had little interest in even looking at them. Most of the dealers hid them in back rooms or stuck them off to the side. HD would have been further ahead to join up with someone like Ducati or Guzzi, or market them with the metrics.

The story doesn't surprise me. I see things that've changed in my company that will most likely never go back to the old way, or if it ever does it'll take a very long time. Everyone will have to forget what this period was like before things ease up. If a company can make more money with less people, they will. If it was my company, I sure as hell would. That doesn't make it any eaier to stomach, but it's an unfortunate truth.

Well said. It is definitely the 'new reality'. Glad I'm not just starting in the job market. I feel for the young kids. How will they ever get to the first rung of the ladder making $7/hour??

Gas Man
07-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I agree with you Rider and Tele. Lack of Buell is helping I'm sure.

But also the tax breaks they worked out with the states in Kansas and Penn.

Not too mention slowing down production.

I know that Biker Bob's doesn't have shit for bike inventory. The other day i was there and they had every bike New & used on the showroom floor. That was it, and it still looked bare.