PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee last week

Chris300s
07-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I was there for work and though I'd sare some pictures.
On the way to breakfast Sunday morning I saw this just parked on the curb like it was no big deal.
Everything going on here is right. Gas can, leather helmet.....
Over at the harley museum, the mighty XR. I'd love to ride one.
Finally a set of pipes that I like.
This wasn't one of Evel's bikes (but it looks like it). This guy tried to re-create each of Evel's big jumps on the same equipment. He smacked the landing ramp on the buss jump and was out of jumpin for 3 years recovering. Check out the rear rim, the wheel contacted the ramp first.
Sportster owners take note of the modified swingarm and wider rear tire.

Chris

telecast
07-23-2010, 09:35 AM
Excellent! The truck/bike on the street is cooler than the shit in the museum!

Chris300s
07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
In 1971 Evel dreamed up the Snake River Gorge rocketcycle jump while sitting in Moose's Bar in Kalispell, MT. Obviously it didn't end well when he released the chute prematurely and landed at the bottom of the canyon, under the ramp he was launched from.
For you geezer glide fans, Evel's last bike. A limited edition "EK" Road King from Harley.

Chris

telecast
07-23-2010, 09:51 AM
For you geezer glide fans

I still like the one in the truck!

Chris300s
07-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Excellent! The truck/bike on the street is cooler than the shit in the museum!

Never actually made it into the "museum". The Evel Kneivel exhibit is just one of their temporary shows in an seperate building.
I organized this whole gig and spent most of my time either drinking or greeting people (hearding cats). Still have the ticket and plan to go back before summer's out.

The truck and bike in the street was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I almost got hit by a car crouching to take these pictures.

I would have liked to talk to the owner but I couldn't find him.
Monday morning this became my desktop, so I've been staring at it for a while.
After staring at it a while I think that the bike is just part of the "show".

telecast
07-23-2010, 10:16 AM
After staring at it a while I think that the bike is just part of the "show".

Absolutely. He drives that truck around with the bike, leather helmet and gas can to get the exact reaction you provided! I'd be willing to bet you a beer he used to work at HD.

Chris300s
07-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Absolutely. He drives that truck around with the bike, leather helmet and gas can to get the exact reaction you provided! I'd be willing to bet you a beer he used to work at HD.

Breaks my heart. I can't imagine having something that cool and not riding it. Even if it's just on parade duty. Different priorities I guess.
However, the bikes obviously original and I can appreciate him not wanting to mess with it. Myself, I don't have that kind of self control. There'd probably be some repop parts on it and I'd have the biggest shit eating grin around!:D

Gas Man
07-25-2010, 11:11 AM
I really want to ride over the milwaukee and see the HD muesum...

Chain
07-26-2010, 12:59 PM
We did a few weeks ago, it's pretty cool! (HD museum) we actually took the ferry over (never did that b4, and likely wont again), then rode back thru the UP. I liked the Museum.

telecast
07-26-2010, 01:23 PM
we actually took the ferry over (never did that b4, and likely wont again), then rode back thru the UP.

Why? I've always wanted to do that, give us the low down.

Chain
07-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Why? I've always wanted to do that, give us the low down.

Well, it was fun... but I would have liked just riding around the entire way, it was 2 bones to get the bike across, it was hot, everyone starts there shit up 1/4 hour before they open the gate so you suck all this hot exhaust, no one has courtesy for your skoot, clanging the POS straps off your fenders... damn near had to lay a guy out after the third time asking him to slow down and becareful where he slung the damn things. I could go on and on.... it was an experience, if you ever decide to go? take your own straps, which I did, and in May and June every year your bike rides for free, that is the only up side.... I hate riding thru Chicago, but I will go clear around next time.

telecast
07-26-2010, 06:05 PM
TWO HUNDRED BUCKS?

I just checked the website for the SS Badger, the website says $38 for a bike and $69 per person. Did the $200 include you and a passenger?

Also, what kind of tie down straps? They say you have to provide your own. Just ratchet straps?

Definitely sounds like fun, but maybe not as much as I thought....

Chain
07-27-2010, 08:59 AM
TWO HUNDRED BUCKS?

I just checked the website for the SS Badger, the website says $38 for a bike and $69 per person. Did the $200 include you and a passenger?

Also, what kind of tie down straps? They say you have to provide your own. Just ratchet straps?

Definitely sounds like fun, but maybe not as much as I thought....

I thought the badger was from Ludington to Manitowoc, we did the one from Muskegon to Millwakee (Lake Express), difference is one takes 2 hours and the other takes like 4. And yes that 200 was for the wife and I. Actually with tax and all it was like 190...

I brought 4 of my own ratchet straps even though they supplied some, they were in rough shape.

I don't get motion sickness, but if you think you do, it's worth it to take something for this, even if you think you may, it could mean the diff, between a good day and a ruined one, I've seen it. :)

telecast
07-27-2010, 09:06 AM
Ok, got it. Hell, I didn't even know they ran one from Muskegon to Milwaukee.

2 hours eh? Sounds like the prices are similar, close enough to make it worthwhile anyway.