PDA

View Full Version : Sportbike guys today

Bob
07-19-2010, 09:45 PM
On the way to our Ford dealer I ran into this pack of like 6 sportbike riders on Telegraph in Dearborn. They where in the usual squid attire, wife beaters (one dude was too fat for that sort of "gear" and appeared to have boobs), shorts and tennis shoes. I swear these guys where more about making noise than riding. Every freaking red light, and I got stuck by every one with these dudes next to me...rev rev rev rev rev rev and the one had so much slack in his chain I can't believe it never flew off. It's guys like this that I hated when I was on sportbikes.

Rant out!

Thruxtonbill
07-19-2010, 10:02 PM
You can still hate em.

Bob
07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
You can still hate em.

Deal! LOL It's funny how those ones stand out above all the rest isn't it? I probably passed 20 other bikes that were normal but could not tell you what they were.

Thruxtonbill
07-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Yep you're talking about the fearless 20 somethings that got their R6 or gixxer for $89 a month cause all their buddies did, have no clue how to ride it and ride for all the wrong reasons. I hate em too, they give all of us a bad name. The best is the little slut on the back with flip flops and short shorts and pretty tanned skin.... Ha, I bet daddy has no clue.
When my daughter was 17, some kid came over on his gixxer, no gear, bald rear tire.
she said " dad so and so wants to take me for a ride" I said "NOT GONNA HAPPEN"
and expressed my unwillingness to bend on this issue to the young man, if you know what I mean.

aeryck
07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I hate squids as much as the next person.. they give responsible riders a bad name. The only hope I cling to is when they do trash their bike their lack of gear will contribute to a cleaning of the gene pool.

Mudpuppy
07-19-2010, 11:04 PM
amen.. squids suck.. they give all motorcycle riders a bad name..

RedneckMedic
07-19-2010, 11:25 PM
every time i talk about riding to someone they automatically assume im on a "crotch rocket" and they tell me im going to kill myself. then i tell them im not and they say o thats ok then youll be fine. its bad that people like this give anybody on a sport bike a bad image and sport bikes them selves a bad image as being "dangerous" when its only the people riding them that make more dangerous. i feel you that most of the kids my age on rockets are stupid 90% of my friends that ride have them and are the stupidest people i have ever seen on two wheels and when we go for a ride its always lets see how fast we can go straight down 75 or 96 or some fucking freeway or lets go to bishop park and sit there for an hour.

sorry for my rant too bob just posted this after i was in a similar discussion earlier today haha

telecast
07-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Since I pay absolutely no attention to anything in the sportbike world, can someone please enlighten me as to the definition of a 'squid'? Is it an acronym? What's the origin?

From posts on the forum it sounds like a sportbike rider that has no brains and no gear. Is there more to it? Does it mean any rider lacking the above, or is it limited to sportbikes?

telecast
07-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I found these two definitions. Both have roughly the same description but with a different origin

Squid
A young motorcyclist who overestimates his abilities, boasts of his riding skills when in reality he has none. Squid bikes are usually decorated with chrome and various anodized bits. Rear tyres are too wide for their own good, swingarm extended. Really slow in the corners, and sudden bursts of acceleration when a straight appears. Squids wear no protection, deeming themselves invincible. This fact compounds intself with the fact that they engage in 'extreem riding'--performing wheelies and stoppies in public areas. Squids wreck alot. Derived from 'squirly kid' stunta (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=stunta)
"We were suddenly passed by a chromed out R1 and then when we rounded the bend, we saw the squid wrapped around a tree, he'd probably be alive if he was wearing a helmet."

2. (http://squid.urbanup.com/620003) squid
An extremely rare animal with a short lifespan. Usually a new sport bike enthusiast with the reasoning of a lunatic, whom you might see thrashing on an R1 wearing sandals, shorts, and a tee.
When found lying motionless on the pavement, this creature transforms itself into a stream of blood, exposed flesh, and broken limbs. Hence the squid moniker.

Stupid
Quick
Underdressed
Imminently
Dead

Mudpuppy
07-20-2010, 11:11 AM
that would be it - an idiot with no gear, no common sense and no riding ability..

they are indigenous to royal oak:

http://fliiby.com/file/881487/giip1lp4i7.html

Bob
07-20-2010, 04:49 PM
We met up with some sportbike guys a couple years ago at LTB's in Wyandotte. This guy from Monroe was the first one there and me and my buddy Adam got there at the same time. A few minutes later these two kids from Dearborn show up and one is acting normal. The other one comes flying in, right at all of us and slams on his brakes and almost dumps it trying to do a stoppie. I told him he'd be wrecked in the next month. Sure enough, he's on a local forum posting about how he went down with his girl on the back taking a turn like an idiot. LOL It was a week later.

Sometimes I do miss my sportbikes though. They handled so well and I miss the track sometimes too. It just seemed hard to find other sportbike guys to ride with that wanted to ride normal and not doing 100 mph everywhere. But the squids are the minority it's just they stick out. I did my best not to ride with any of the crazies though.

wrath
07-20-2010, 10:14 PM
I'd like to chime in on this one with my disapproval with the squid moniker, not meaning to start an arguement here, but I dont wear my gear all the time. Does that make me a squid? I wear jeans 95% of the time with my armored gloves, my jacket is either on me or strapped to the back when it's just too hot.

What about the Harley riders? Are you a squid? Half lids and t-shirts,shorts and tennis shoes,no armor whatsoever.
At most I see you in what? biker boots,jeans (maybe leather chaps),a leather jacket plastered in patches,the cool gloves with knuckles exposed or fingerless and that same half lid. (is it the nazi helmet with the spike out the top?). Again.... where's the armor to protect you? are you still a squid?
You still ride just as reckless. I've seen it.

Why do sportbikes get crowned squids when we dont wear gear?
It's a choice I make with what I want to wear. Why name call?
Fyi....I own a 2 piece armored suit, armored gloves and a full face. I don't do wheelies or stoppies. My wife has gear.If I have a rider with me they wear my gear. If I see the reckless Joe, I won't ride with him.

That's my choice.

But I won't call you names..How you ride and how you dress is your choice.

I think we should worry more about being safe out there then this trivial name calling.

Like I said, no arguements, just my 2 cents. I'll wave to anyone on 2 wheels.

If you don't wave back that's your choice.

telecast
07-20-2010, 10:39 PM
No, Harley riders are 'fags'.

WTF, don't you ever watch Southpark?

aeryck
07-21-2010, 09:08 AM
I'd like to chime in on this one with my disapproval with the squid moniker, not meaning to start an arguement here, but I dont wear my gear all the time. Does that make me a squid? I wear jeans 95% of the time with my armored gloves, my jacket is either on me or strapped to the back when it's just too hot.

What about the Harley riders? Are you a squid? Half lids and t-shirts,shorts and tennis shoes,no armor whatsoever.
At most I see you in what? biker boots,jeans (maybe leather chaps),a leather jacket plastered in patches,the cool gloves with knuckles exposed or fingerless and that same half lid. (is it the nazi helmet with the spike out the top?). Again.... where's the armor to protect you? are you still a squid?
You still ride just as reckless. I've seen it.

Why do sportbikes get crowned squids when we dont wear gear?
It's a choice I make with what I want to wear. Why name call?
Fyi....I own a 2 piece armored suit, armored gloves and a full face. I don't do wheelies or stoppies. My wife has gear.If I have a rider with me they wear my gear. If I see the reckless Joe, I won't ride with him.

That's my choice.

But I won't call you names..How you ride and how you dress is your choice.

I think we should worry more about being safe out there then this trivial name calling.

Like I said, no arguements, just my 2 cents. I'll wave to anyone on 2 wheels.

If you don't wave back that's your choice.

It's not just about whether you wear gear or not. Squids by definition are the people that give responsible riders a bad name. Splitting lanes on 275 doing 100+, stunting on public roads, banging the rev limiter at stoplights, that kinda thing.

The decision to wear gear is a personal choice, I agree. My personal opinion is, live for the ride, dress for the crash. There are only two types of riders: Those who have crashed, and those who haven't crashed yet. I've been on both sides of the fence, lowsiding a bike both with and without gear. That being said, if I go out I'm geared up.

Does riding without gear make you a squid? Not necessarily. But if you're doing stupid shit on the bike, gear or not, then yes, you're a squid.

Mudpuppy
07-21-2010, 09:42 AM
You can't be on both sides of the fence or on the fence - either you crashed or you didn't.. and you did, as have I so you are on my side of the fence, over.. The important thing is learn from the crash to avoid the next one ;)

And I believe in that line of thought you have learned a lot both from the track and from the crash.. which I believe happened to be at the track.. lol.. Now I haven't witnessed it yet but I think both of us learned what NOT to do when loading a trailer after a track day.. I think the optional air hole on the side of the ninja is proof of that..

Overall though spot on assessment of a squid - its a way of riding not necessarily limited to a type of bike or gear.. basically if you ride like an asshole you are a squid..

Case in point. Royal Oak circa 2007. Kid gets a brand new Gixxxxxxer 1000 - its pretty apparent he has no motorcycle experience. And priceless he still has the paper tag. Well to show off to the local talent (insert the royal oak plastic people consisting of upstarts and never has beens) he decides from one side of the street he will open the throttle wide and just before hitting the bikes on the other side he will power slide locking up the back brake. He patiently waits for traffic to clear with his helmet on top of his head (Sketch gas station style) and takes off! As he realizes he is going way too fast he panics and low sides the bike. Well his gear consisted of, besides the helmet on top of his head not on his head, shorts, wife beater (standard Gixxxer issue) and sandals. So he hits the pavement with a thud sending the helmet flying like a Scott Mitchell pass hoping someone anyone will catch it as the brand new bike shoots sparks as it slides to a grinding halt just before hitting the row of bikes on the other side. So what does he do? He gets up bleeding like a stuck pig and runs. He goes around the corner to the bar and starts drinking. Royal Oak's finest walk up and say what a dumb ass we have his bike we know who he is. 1 hour later he is seen in the back of the cop car heading to the station. Now THAT is a squid true and true Royal Oak style.

Mudpuppy
07-21-2010, 09:43 AM
oh and incorrect correction - too early in the morning. I retract any and all statements about you can't be on either side or on the fence. I re-read that and see what you meant. Crashed with and without gear. Same here and I choose gear and dressing for the crash. Carry on.

Thruxtonbill
07-21-2010, 09:45 AM
It's not just about whether you wear gear or not. Squids by definition are the people that give responsible riders a bad name. Splitting lanes on 275 doing 100+, stunting on public roads, banging the rev limiter at stoplights, that kinda thing.

The decision to wear gear is a personal choice, I agree. My personal opinion is, live for the ride, dress for the crash. There are only two types of riders: Those who have crashed, and those who haven't crashed yet. I've been on both sides of the fence, lowsiding a bike both with and without gear. That being said, if I go out I'm geared up.

Does riding without gear make you a squid? Not necessarily. But if you're doing stupid shit on the bike, gear or not, then yes, you're a squid.
Well said.

Bob
07-21-2010, 07:41 PM

Yeah, I don't consider someone a squid for not wearing gear. Unless they are in flip flops, LOL. But when you're next to me at a red light revving your bike to redline the entire light for no apparent reason, it's squid time. ;)

snofrog
07-22-2010, 09:14 PM
ha, pic of a squid eating the pavement in a parking lot and no gear on

SportstersPaul
07-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Yeh, does that mean the next run is to Royal oak, maybe meet at Starbucks?

junkyardjon
07-28-2010, 10:48 PM
bob, if we ever ride together i'm gonna rev the motor at every light LOL

vortech302
07-29-2010, 04:02 PM
. But when you're next to me at a red light revving your bike to redline the entire light for no apparent reason, it's squid time. ;)

That's funny, I don't rev my bike at people cause it's stupid loud and even I don't want to hear it, but everytime someone asks me to start it the first thing they do is wing it up to 10,000. The day you posted this was the night I rode out to the Flint bike night with a group I didn't know, a bunch of guys in no gear, girls on the back in tank tops (I didn't mind the view of course). One guy laid his down on the way back, another clipped a car on the freeway.

Bob
07-29-2010, 06:21 PM
That's funny, I don't rev my bike at people cause it's stupid loud and even I don't want to hear it, but everytime someone asks me to start it the first thing they do is wing it up to 10,000. The day you posted this was the night I rode out to the Flint bike night with a group I didn't know, a bunch of guys in no gear, girls on the back in tank tops (I didn't mind the view of course). One guy laid his down on the way back, another clipped a car on the freeway.

Dude! The first thing I thought of was you when I saw these guys. hahaha! I knew you where headed up to Flint and I was like, I sure hope Shawn's not in this group. hahaha

Then on the way back I blew my intake manifold on my car. It was just like Fast and Furious all around that day! hahaha

vortech302
07-29-2010, 09:52 PM
Dude! The first thing I thought of was you when I saw these guys. hahaha! I knew you where headed up to Flint and I was like, I sure hope Shawn's not in this group. hahaha

Then on the way back I blew my intake manifold on my car. It was just like Fast and Furious all around that day! hahaha

You blew the welds? Now me and the mad scientist are got to rip apart the block and replace the piston rings.

Bob
07-29-2010, 09:59 PM
You blew the welds? Now me and the mad scientist are got to rip apart the block and replace the piston rings.

I wondered if anyone would get that. LOL Freaking Ford made the manifold plastic so the replacement one is part aluminum.

apex factor
07-30-2010, 12:50 PM
saw a guy out near me yesterday...

no shirt, shorts and flip flops on a cruiser.

Bob
07-30-2010, 07:32 PM
saw a guy out near me yesterday...

no shirt, shorts and flip flops on a cruiser.

Yep, I see that more than guys on sport bikes.

RedneckMedic
07-30-2010, 11:24 PM
ya i probably get some laughs too when i ride in sweats or wind pants on the way to work out.