PDA

View Full Version : I wish I could be like this

Bob
07-18-2010, 09:11 PM
I was at Roll Models in Allen Park this weekend, it's a really good bicycle shop if you guys ever need anything for the bikes. Anyway, a buddy of mine works there and he rides a 2009 Ninja 250. He was telling me about his latest trip. He road all the way down to Orlando then over to Hilton Head and back home on the 250. He wanted to ride to the Keys but did not want his entire vacation to be riding. And he did this trip solo. Sometimes I wish I was just one of those guys that could do something like that. And to do it on a 250 really impressed me.

telecast
07-19-2010, 07:31 AM
So, why can't you?

Thruxtonbill
07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Thats a long way on a 250, but it can be done.
On ADV rider there are numerous ride reports of people doing crazy miles on small displacement dual purpose bikes. I guess it depends on your sense of adventure.
I have been on a few long distance solo trips and there is something kinda cool about it.

Mudpuppy
07-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Yeah I don't wish that was me - first that is way too far on a 250.. ever ride on on the freeway? at like 85 you are screaming rpms.. second i trailer on long trips, get there fresh and ride the good roads if you kwim.. slab rides for thousands of miles are just not my cup of tea - really the trip anywhere is just a formality - its the destination where the money's at..

aeryck
07-19-2010, 02:22 PM
To be perfectly honest I'd rather do a trip like that on the 250 than on my ZX-6. It's a bit more relaxed posture than the supersport, and the thing gets phenomenal gas mileage compared to a bigger bike.

The biggest worry I would have personally is the weight factor... those 250's are so light you get blown all over the place just trying to pass a semi.

Bob
07-20-2010, 04:53 PM
To be perfectly honest I'd rather do a trip like that on the 250 than on my ZX-6. It's a bit more relaxed posture than the supersport, and the thing gets phenomenal gas mileage compared to a bigger bike.

The biggest worry I would have personally is the weight factor... those 250's are so light you get blown all over the place just trying to pass a semi.

I actually preferred the highway on my 250 over my Vulcan. I had a zero gravity windscreen on my 250 that did a good job at pushing the wind around and over me. I had mine up to 90+ and it felt really stable. My Vulcan at 95 this past weekend felt like I had to hang on for dear life. LOL My buddy re-geared his for the highway too so he was not topped out the entire trip.

Doug
07-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Some guy has a web page/blog thing about his ride around the country on his Honda Rebel. I think he rebuild the engine once too along the way or something similar. I've seen the link and story at various bike forums. A Google search would turn it up if any of you are so inclined. ;)

SportstersPaul
07-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Back in the day guys were known to run all over the country on 250's, 305's, and such. Didn't give it a second thought, just grabbed a sleeping bag couple cans of spam and you were all set, just sayin.