PDA

View Full Version : Serious motorcycle build!

chopsmitty
07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
This isn't new and don't know if it's a repost - I was just sent the link and was completely blown away!

http://www.flashbackfab.com/pages/excel00.html

telecast
07-16-2010, 03:59 PM
Wow!

SportstersPaul
07-16-2010, 09:02 PM
Awesome, just finished the whole thread. Some kind of talent there!
where's my checkbook, I think I need one of them.

RedneckMedic
07-17-2010, 01:25 AM
didnt look through the site did the guy ever say what his total "finance" was for the project...that is by far the most extensive build i have ever seen my mind would blow up trying to keep track of where i was at on parts and what i sent out and what still needs to be done etc... He did a great job and it is definitely something to be proud of for just going off a few pictures.

chopsmitty
07-19-2010, 01:30 PM
If I quit my job and had a year to do that project... I could get the job done for 20 to 50k (just a rough guess) plus the cost of some of the hard to find parts to use as molds, reverse engineering, etc. He's selling 10 copies at $150k. So I'm betting he had a personal guarantee for $150k-ish. Says he has sold 3 or 4 of them so I bet he's in the black now that the market for bikes has crashed.

What I can't figure out is why didn't he just cnc out all those cast parts? It would be way cheaper than paying someone to build molds, pour the parts and then machine them anyway plus you'd end up with a much better part in the end.