PDA

View Full Version : Drivers Face New Restrictions In Troy

telecast
07-15-2010, 07:31 AM
Ok, I'm all for safety and like the idea of non-distracted drivers, but...really?

Drivers Will Soon Be Banned From Several Distractions

POSTED: Wednesday, July 14, 2010
UPDATED: 11:55 pm EDT July 14, 2010

TROY, Mich. -- Drivers in Troy will soon have a new set of rules behind the wheel.

On Monday, the Troy City Council approved a proposed Distracted Driving Ordinance. The Ordinance is scheduled to start on July 29. The Ordinance bans three types of distracted driving behavior.

The first type is similar to the behavior prohibited by the State of Michigan Texting Law that went into effect on July 1. That law prohibits drivers from texting while driving.

The second type bans drivers from using handheld wireless electronic devices for any type of communication. The use of a hands free device is allowed.

The third type bans any other activity that distracts a driver. Examples include, eating, grooming, reading, writing, or other activities that prevent the driver from having control of their vehicle.

This is a primary offence and police will issue tickets on a driver’s first offense. Fines for breaking the rules have not been set.

Many drivers in Troy are mixed on the new ordinance. “I think that’s coming into our personal life a little bit too much,” said driver Karen Bloom.
“I understand the safety, but I don’t like it.”

Howa Baroi told Local 4 the new restrictions are a good idea. “I think this law is very smart because it will save a lot of lives,” said Baroi.

Dirty
07-15-2010, 08:02 AM
I have not problem with a law like that, though I never drive through Troy.

I take Telegraph from Flat Rock to Southfield and back everyday and can count on being cut off 3 or 4 times EVERYDAY by people paying more attention to their food and phones than driving. I'm almost to the point where I am going to mount a mini gun on the front of the bike :weld:

Mad Dog
07-15-2010, 08:14 AM
From my perspective in the seat of a tractor trailer I can say there are a lot of stupid people out there sharing the highway with us. On the interstate(70-80mph)I see Mc Donaldís breakfasts on lap with coffee in one hand and fork in the other. Books on steering wheel. Dogs on laps. Operating laptops on passenger seats. Do I go on! We live in a society where more and more people disregard the personal safety of others. Everyone believes that bad things only happen to others. Letís face it. Law enforcement is just trying to do something. The other alternative is to continue to "Clean Up" after the fact.:mad:

telecast
07-15-2010, 08:37 AM
Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with most of it. It'd make riding a bike a little safer. I too have seen people reading, women putting on makeup, etc. What I have a problem with is:

"or other activities"

Since it's a primary offense, they can pull you over for it. What are the 'other activities? What if a cop 'thought' he saw you eating a twinkie? What about someone smoking a cigarette? You can no longer have a coffee on your way into work? Mad Dog, if you drive a semi surely you've had coffee or a Big Mac on your runs?

How do you draw a line, and where?

Since driving is a priveledge, not a right, they can surely do whatever they want. But a little common sense is in order.

Dirty
07-15-2010, 08:46 AM
As long as they don't crack down on nose picking and nose hair plucking I should be OK :D

I can see where this could get out of hand, but I'm not sure what else they can do? If they ignore it, it will only get worse IMO

telecast
07-15-2010, 08:50 AM
Nose picking should be on the list. A successful pick is almost like an orgasm.

Waaaaay too distracting!

Mudpuppy
07-15-2010, 10:46 AM
Sounds like the city of Troy is trying to generate some more revenue..

Gas Man
07-15-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm all about making things safer however, there is a BIG difference between drinking coffee and texting on a phone. If I ever got a ticket for that I would fight that shit till I was dead or bankrupt. F that law.

Bob
07-15-2010, 09:27 PM
Sounds like the city of Troy is trying to generate some more revenue..

Yep! The Blue Gang has to justify their existence.

Mudpuppy
07-15-2010, 10:37 PM
Yep! The Blue Gang has to justify their existence.

And their choices are:

1. Harass hard working law abiding citizens and tax them more than they already are knowing they won't fight back

2. Go and fight real crime but they might get shot at because real criminals will fight them

So what choice do you think they make? Like water the path of least resistance..

Bob
07-16-2010, 07:03 AM
And their choices are:

1. Harass hard working law abiding citizens and tax them more than they already are knowing they won't fight back

2. Go and fight real crime but they might get shot at because real criminals will fight them

So what choice do you think they make? Like water the path of least resistance..

Yeah, our local chief told his patrolman they could work all of the o.t. they wanted as long as they write "x" amount of tickets. Those piles of sh!t sit in a construction zone, write their tickets in 2 minutes and then dick off the rest of the shift. It sucks.

Mudpuppy
07-16-2010, 10:13 AM
It pisses me off because not like us 53%ers don't get taxed enough.. So I was doing 10 over - so what? Some crackhead is raping a chick and stealing her wallet for his next fix - which situation do you think warrants "to serve and protect"?

Bob
07-16-2010, 06:38 PM
It pisses me off because not like us 53%ers don't get taxed enough.. So I was doing 10 over - so what? Some crackhead is raping a chick and stealing her wallet for his next fix - which situation do you think warrants "to serve and protect"?

Shit, they become cops to carry a gun and a badge and 1/2 of them can't handle their gun for dick. It's funny how cops used to dress nice and they had to iron their clothes and all fo that and now they went from serving and protecting to all wearing polo shirts, baseball hats, and 511 tactical pants and combat boots. WTF?! Now they are more military like it seems. I read a whole article on this and if I can find it I'll post it, it was a good read.

Mudpuppy
07-17-2010, 12:09 AM
yeah definitely post it up