PDA

View Full Version : greetings from (sorry) Ohio :)

netfan
07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Greetings... I will be meeting my brother (Kalamazoo area) and we are heading for the UP for a week (his 50th birthday ride). In order to spend as much time riding the UP, we have decided to trailer our bikes to the Petosky area Saturday, July 31 AM and begin riding from there. Do any of you have any ideas for where we might safely park a mini-van and 6X10 trailer for the week? We would be returning August 8 sometime around noon. REALLY looking forward to biking up north (too hot here lately).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Netfan

Dirty
07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Welcome! Not sure if a trailer would qualify you for this program but you might want to check it out. I think you would have to pay for some camping to make it work...

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10365_50087-191172--,00.html

netfan
07-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Looks like the van and trailer don't qualify, but thanks for the link and idea!

Mudpuppy
07-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Leaving your minivan and trailer anywhere in the UP should be safe.. and the weather has been great in the UP lately - like 74.. so perfect riding weather.. of course when it is cooler here in the south of michigan its 90 up there - go figure..

Bob
07-13-2010, 06:48 PM
I think they want to park it in Petosky Mud?

Welcome to the site by the way! One thing you might want to do is see if there are any local motorcycle / riding clubs in that area. I'm sure they might let you store it there for the week. If I think of someone in that area i'll let you know for sure.

Mudpuppy
07-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Oh in Petosky is cool too.. Pretty much anywhere north of the shotgun line is safe to park anywhere and not having your vehicle or trailer messed with.. Might want to avoid No Parking signs and probably not in the Police Chiefs Reserved Spot.. But I am sure you can find a walmart parking lot or meijer or something.. A truck stop or a rest area would work as well..

SportstersPaul
07-14-2010, 12:56 AM
Should have some "park and ride" lots up there near the E-way?

telecast
07-14-2010, 07:49 AM
It might be worth it to find a nice motel and ask the manager if you can pay them $20 to park it on the side. Even though up north is fairly safe, a little added insurance wouldn't hurt.

By the way, it's not '(sorry) Ohio', it's 'sorry-ass Ohio'. :D

telecast
07-14-2010, 07:56 AM
Another idea, building on Dirty's suggestion. There are a shitload of private campgrounds up there. I bet one of them would let you leave it in their parking lot.

Mudpuppy
07-14-2010, 10:42 AM
Good ideas.. I would start with do you mind if I leave this parked here for "x" amount of time and if they are hesitant or say no or shout obscenities at you then I would offer $20 and a cup of shut the fuck up.. But that's just me.. You could always get the old reliable trunk monkey to protect your ride in your absence:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCUBxgdKZ_Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RCUBxgdKZ_Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>