PDA

View Full Version : Insta-ride

Chris300s
07-08-2010, 09:35 PM
OK, here's an experiment. I propose a phone/text list for rides/meet-ups on short notice. I frequently find myself on a Thursday night thinking "I wish that there was some reason to go... anywhere".
Some simple ground rules:

List your cell number or email (if you check that more frequently)
Anyone that's interested agrees to add your number to a "MI bike list" in their phone.
When you decide to head out to somewhere cool, send a message to the list.
The message should include the destination (for folks that want to meet up there). -or- a meet up point for a good ride. I.e. I'm heading out to Hooter's in Ferndale @ 7, but you can meet me at Menjo's in Detroit @ 6:00.
You show up, respond with an "I'm in", good on you. You don't, no foul.
I'll do two things;
1. Update these instructions as necessary.
2. Throw up my number first (and I suggest you do similarly)
Two-Four-Eight 613 3845

Concerns and criticism marginally appreciated,
Chris

Gas Man
07-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Not a bad idea... I think Mud did something similar once before. But I think he used the phone numbers as an email so that you're not limited to how many. He created a distribution list... so you email text this particular adress and it sent out to everybody on the list.

telecast
07-10-2010, 10:06 AM
My phone doesn't text, I don't text. I'm a luddite.

Email would be good for me, I check it a lot at work. Maybe Bob could put up an 'Insta Ride' section in the forum too, posts would be limited to from one day before all the way up to "I'm leaving in an hour" like Chris suggested. Anything other could go in a 'Rides' section.

Most bike forums have a section called 'Rides' anyway, not events like bike nights or shows, just an area to plan a ride, find someone to ride with, etc.

SportstersPaul
07-10-2010, 12:39 PM
I'm a little more old school, don't even mention texting to me, how about a simple series of smoke signals?

Mad Dog
07-10-2010, 09:54 PM
I'm a little more old school, don't even mention texting to me, how about a simple series of smoke signals?
They had these 4 dudes on Leno a while back.
Were given a message to send.
2 young guys used text messages.
2 old guys used morse code.
Guess who won.
You got it....Morse Code Rules Baby!!!!!!:D

Bob
07-11-2010, 08:25 PM
I check my email more than my phone and I don't have texting at all. My email you can get to simply by clicking the "contact us" on the bottom of the forum.

Also, I started a forum for you guys for short notice and local rides. We'll use it for anything that isn't like a big ride event.

spocket
07-12-2010, 09:38 AM
"I'm heading out to Hooter's in Ferndale @ 7, but you can meet me at Menjo's in Detroit @ 6:00.You show up, respond with an "I'm in" "

I just had to chuckle at this one... I just can't see someone meeting at Menjo's to ride to Hooters... maybe the other way around...lmao! And responding "I'm in @ Menjo's meaans a whole 'nother thing...ROFLMAO!!!!!

Otherwise good idea on the ride now forum!
I end up not riding too often just due to not having a good reason to spend gas cash with no destination or a riding partner with some new routes that I don't know. I end up bored and running the same local roads, feels like going through the motions sometimes.

Mudpuppy
07-12-2010, 10:58 AM
yeah it works good.. here is a link to how SMS portals work:

http://sms411.net/how-to-send-email-to-a-phone/

If you do this please add me: mudpuppy@wideopensportbikes.net