PDA

View Full Version : 69 VW buggy

RedneckMedic
07-07-2010, 01:11 AM
before i even start this thread let me just say pics are on the way.

Today i finally started a project that i have been putting off for a while now probably about 5 years now. It is an old 69 VW dune buggy that has been sitting in my girlfriends garage ever since i have known her in the past six years or so. her parents used to drive it around when they had property in Irons, MI but once they got divorced the mom got the car and there it sat until today when i pushed it out into the blistering sun for the first time in six years(at least thats the last time the plates were registered and when they moved).

It took me about 45 min to clear off all the shit that was on and around this thing so i could even look at it. my girlfriend told me that her moms old boyfriend at one time started to work on it but from what i could tell all he managed to accomplish was to tear up the interior of the buggy. there is also a mess of wiring that leads from the dash to the back of the buggy where the engine and all the fun stuff is that is just out in the open going across the seats and over the back of the car. for now i am going to ignore that issue and focus on getting this beast running.

getting it started was actually a little easier than i thought it was going to be. i just threw the seats back in and didnt even bolt them down and decided to turn the key and i got what i expected which was a whole lot of nothing. then i went and found the battery and tested it and it was dead. so off to autozone for a new one and came back and got it hooked up and it started to crank. at this point i was really excited until after a couple turns of the key i went to the back and noticed fuel all over the place and found a hose from the carb wasnt attached and then tried again. this time no fuel spraying everywhere but still wont come to life. so i called the girlfriend out for some help and had her turn the key while i choked it with my hand over the breather and a couple turns of the key later it came to life. i was really excited at this point and let it run for a few before i decided to shut it off.

then came time to inspect everything else. after a look around the car i made a little list of the things it needs.

oil change/find and stop oil leak
fix sloppy shifting problem
new rubber for tires
fix holes in body (gunna be a pain cuz its fiberglass)
find some nicer seats and put in some carpet and im thinking shag
give it a paint job because im not too fond of the purple.

this is my first time doing any kind of work on a car so im pretty pumed and as i said in the beginning i will post some pics but here is what im thinking for the end look

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c63/aquabuggy_68/bajachamp047.jpg

telecast
07-07-2010, 07:25 AM
put in some carpet

Cool. My uncle built one of those when I was a kid.

Might want to rethink the carpet. It'll be tough to keep clean and dry with no top. Most of those things just used the rubber mat that was in the bug, cut down to fit the buggy.

Mudpuppy
07-07-2010, 10:04 AM
do you need a test driver? i am going up to silver lake sand dunes tomorrow and i could properly test it for you?

very cool buggy dude..

oh but if you paint over that kawasaki green with team yamaha blue it will give it at least 5 more horsepower..

Chris300s
07-07-2010, 11:06 AM
That is awesome! I likey! Hey, what's up with the one sitting next to it? She has two? I don't know if you've got someone with VW experience advising you but I though that I could offer a couple of bits.
www.thesamba.com (http://www.thesamba.com) is your friend for how-to's, advise, parts, etc.

oil change/find and stop oil leak - The oil screen, pressure switch, crank seal and dog house are the usual suspects. 2 are easy to fix. The crank has a slinger on it to spin oil back into the motor. Sometimes they leak sitting and then don't after it's run a bit.

fix sloppy shifting problem - Replacement linkages and gates are cheap.

new rubber for tires - Cheap to really expensive

fix holes in body (gunna be a pain cuz its fiberglass) - Get some help from someone who has experience. They'll push you to do a better job and save you some time.

find some nicer seats and put in some carpet and im thinking shag
- +1 on no carpeting. Rubber mats or drain boards are the norm.

give it a paint job because im not too fond of the purple. - So, Bass boat metal flake purple then?.....

Let me know if you want some help working on it.

Chris

RedneckMedic
07-07-2010, 11:16 AM
the one in the pic is just how i am planning on it looking. i came across the samba while i was searching and have found quite a few things. im going back over there today to work on it again and ill snap a few pics while im there. ive never worked on any cars really besides my ranger and it has just been simple things like replacing the starter and alternator and such let alone something that is a little over twice as old as i am haha.

Gas Man
07-07-2010, 11:59 AM
Without pics I don't care...

:D

Bob
07-07-2010, 03:17 PM
Nice man. If I sell my bike I'm getting a dune buggy for sure. We've been looking at them lately.

junkyardjon
07-24-2010, 11:10 PM
so the one in the picture ain't yours?

if you want it painted, i'll spray it for you real cheap. you just do the prep LOL, and yes i spray flake alot!!!!