PDA

View Full Version : What did it for you?

Gas Man
07-01-2010, 07:49 PM
What was the bike, or the ride, or the sight that hooked you on bike's forever?? Your dad's bike, a magazine, what peaked your interest? What was the spark to ignite your motorcycle love?

Honestly I was hooked from the sound vroom.

I was 8yrs old on my Uncle's 1984 honda shadow V 700
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Family/timchrisbike.jpg

Taken at a KOA camp ground in Monroe, MI

I remembered holding on for dear life, the roaring sound of the motor, the vibration, the wind. Thinking WOW, we must be going a million miles an hour!!!

It wasn't till later after I was 18 that I was able to look at my own. Then much many other people of my age... the F4i was my dream bike. But I got my used 97 EX500. Same uncle went and looked at it and test rode it for me. Then showed me how to ride it in a parking lot.

been downhill ever since...

Bob
07-01-2010, 08:21 PM
It was for sure American Choppers.

Kidding!

Really no clue for me. I used to go up north and ride my friends little Honda 80 all the time when I was in middle school. It's weird I even got a bike because when I did I knew nobody that road at all. Sort of why I started this site actually.

snofrog
07-01-2010, 08:49 PM
funny Bob . I had no friends that rode either . I just knew I was a biker .

Bob
07-01-2010, 09:04 PM
funny Bob . I had no friends that rode either . I just knew I was a biker .

Yeah, I got a Ninja 250 for my first bike and used to head out riding by myself all of the time.

telecast
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Same story I told in this thread:

http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797

Uh oh, we're repeating threads.

We've jumped the shark!

RedneckMedic
07-01-2010, 09:53 PM
i thought that i had heard that story before

Mudpuppy
07-01-2010, 10:33 PM
wtf, over? is there a tear in the time space continuum?

http://www.shoutsfrombothsides.com/cartoons/04.gif

RoadZombie
07-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Dad had a bike...grew up around it. Was bred to ride. ;-)

NinjaGirl
07-02-2010, 01:44 AM
My dad had a shit ton of British bikes that he restored my whole life long, but what really did it for me was some chick at a bike night that I was at with a friend asking me if I liked riding bitch and I wasn't sure how to answer. And I got the feeling that she was being a bit condescending, so I was like ok, screw you chickie, I can ride my own bike.

Hoarsnest
07-02-2010, 07:52 AM
I grew up sitting in front of my dad on his 1975 Yamaha DT250 Enduro from about the time I could walk. When I was old enough to touch the ground he gave it to me and I kept riding it ... still have it actually. Fell in love with bikes about the time I was 3 or 4. :D

Chris300s
07-02-2010, 08:19 AM
I learned my multiplication tables sitting on a milk crate one winter helping my dad on his '74 Low Rider.

I was 24.

Rider
07-02-2010, 09:27 AM
Dirt bikes had me hooked when i was 5. Started out on mini bikes and moved to full motocross bike at 7. I never even thought about street bikes until I was much older though. My brother let me take his CB750 for a ride when I was 17(1987). It didn't do much for me so I stayed on dirt only for many more years. It wasnt until I took a very nasty spill at Grattan dirt track about 5 years ago that made me want to switch to street. Well that and the fact that my dirt bike ran out of gas way the fuck out in the middle of nowhere when i was out riding with my son on the Little O trail in Baldwin. We had to ride out 2 up on his tiny dirt bike to get some 2 stroke gas. 25-30 miles to the tank was all I would get out of that race prepped 2 stroke.

Dirty
07-02-2010, 09:44 AM
The man, the myth, the legend...the one and only - EVEL KNIEVEL!

Never knew anyone that had a motorcyle and my parents were totally against me ever getting one and still hate that I ride one. But man, did I dig Evel Knievel. In the mid 70's I had all of his action figures including the rocket motorcycle, and I even had an Evel Knievel bicycle (though I was kind of embarrassed to ride it - a little to flashy for my taste)

http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/27/2759/9T4TD00Z.jpg

telecast
07-02-2010, 01:58 PM
I learned my multiplication tables sitting on a milk crate one winter helping my dad on his '74 Low Rider.

I was 24.

You must've learned them pretty quick, the Lowrider came out in '77. :p

Mudpuppy
07-02-2010, 03:30 PM
The man, the myth, the legend...the one and only - EVEL KNIEVEL!

Never knew anyone that had a motorcyle and my parents were totally against me ever getting one and still hate that I ride one. But man, did I dig Evel Knievel. In the mid 70's I had all of his action figures including the rocket motorcycle, and I even had an Evel Knievel bicycle (though I was kind of embarrassed to ride it - a little to flashy for my taste)

http://imagecache6.allposters.com/LRG/27/2759/9T4TD00Z.jpg

That was me all the way - evel got me interested for sure.. i attempted duplicating his stunts and several hundred injuries later I decided its better not to duplicate his feats..

Lumpy
07-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Grew up riding old dirt bikes. First motorized two wheeler was a Honda Trail 70. What followed was a string of mostly worn out bikes including, but not limited to, Suzuki RM 125, A Hodaka 250, Suzuki TS 185, Suzuki RM 370 and a couple more that Im sure I am forgetting.

The 370 busted me up and I decided to stay away from bikes for a while. Next up was a Honda 350 X 3 wheeler. Yeah, like THAT was any safer. Eventually welded the front of a Suzuki 230 Quad Sport to it and turned it into a 4 wheeler. After that came a Honda 600 dual sport. I used it mainly off road but it was plated and saw limited use on the road. It was a cool bike until the motor acted like it had a self destruct mode and blew. Sank a bunch of money into it trying to fix it and still knocked like crazy when I got rid of it. Didnt have a bike for about the next 10 or 12 years.

Finally about 3 years ago the gas prices got retarded and I told the woman at the time I was going to look at a bike. She flipped and told me no way in hell. Cant really say I miss her at this point. I picked up an old Yamaha Virago, concerned only with gas milage at this point. 3 weeks of riding that thing had me hooked. I decided it was to small (Im a big guy) so I bought an old Goldwing which I rode for 2 years before buying my current bike last fall.

I guess you could say insane gas prices are the cause of my obsession.

Gas Man
07-02-2010, 09:26 PM
Same story I told in this thread:

http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797

Uh oh, we're repeating threads.

We've jumped the shark!

Sorry bud. It was a thread on another site that I thought I just had to bring over here...

Lumpy... you went from a goldwing back down to a standard cruiser? Is that wierd to do?

Great stories guys...

how about some more pics of these bikes though...

Lumpy
07-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Well the wing was 26 years old and was developing issues. I woulda kept it but my buddy bought a new bike and that gave me an itch that needed scratching. I couldnt afford a new wing or a Harley, so an import it was.

The house will be paid off in about 6 years and then I think Im going to look at buying another Geezerwing. Damn things are so comfortable it's ridiculous. I miss my plush seating and the stereo.

Chris300s
07-03-2010, 08:54 AM
You must've learned them pretty quick, the Lowrider came out in '77. :p

Correction - Dad had 74 Superglide. Decked out with every chromed, spiked nut and LTR badge availible. Sadly it was sold to a buddy who never paid for it, dad still has the title at home.

I was 8 and had a YZ80. I'd love to have both of those bikes today.

Chris

telecast
07-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Sorry bud. It was a thread on another site that I thought I just had to bring over here...

Nuthin' to be sorry about, glad to see it asked again. It's interesting.

I wish I had pics of my old bikes. If I looked around I might find a B&W of me jumping a berm on my Honda 50 Minitrail. There was one of me on the Honda 250 Scrambler after it was converted to street, and there was one of my Yamaha 650 Special II. No idea where they all went. Never had pics of the Kaw, the 'Lil Indian, or the CB360.

I can't even remember if the Kaw was a 500 or 550! Street bike, 2 Stroke, 3 cylinders, orange with black stripes on the tank. Ran like a raped ape. Probably as close as I'll ever get to a sport bike.