PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see American Pickers last night?

telecast
06-29-2010, 08:19 AM
They got a lead on a guy who sold a Harley dealership in the '70's. He took all the parts, put them in banker's boxes, and stored them in a warehouse. He had NOS back to the 30's still in the original boxes. He said at the time, parts from the 30's and 40's were considered obsolete and no one wanted them.

He was pretty cool, he said he'd given away a lot of parts to people who needed them for their bike. He sold a few things to the guys, but also refused a few things because they were going to resell. He agreed to sell a fender light to Mike because he needed it for his own bike.

Thruxtonbill
06-29-2010, 01:39 PM
Saw it, Seems lke alot of money in parts, most he will never sell before he dies, makes me wonder why.

Also, fender light valued at $600.......really?......maybe...but really?

Mudpuppy
06-29-2010, 02:00 PM
didn't see it but I have a new respect for Harleys.. well not that I didn't before but they are farther up the pedestal for me personally.. and I found a new use for them - TO BLOCK TENNESSEE HIGHWAY PATROL while I go really fast.. lol.. I met 2 dudes on a harley at the overlook on the dragon and they blocked THP so I had the dragon all to myself on the way out as they were shutting it down..

Thruxtonbill
06-29-2010, 02:38 PM
didn't see it but I have a new respect for Harleys.. well not that I didn't before but they are farther up the pedestal for me personally.. and I found a new use for them - TO BLOCK TENNESSEE HIGHWAY PATROL while I go really fast.. lol.. I met 2 dudes on a harley at the overlook on the dragon and they blocked THP so I had the dragon all to myself on the way out as they were shutting it down..

telecast
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
Also, fender light valued at $600.......really?......maybe...but really?

Because they can? Clearly a seller's market on those parts.

I don't get why he wants to hold onto it all either, except for one possibility. I think the guy thoroughly enjoys helping people out. The fact that he's given away so much of it to those who need it says a lot. On almost every show there's a...um...'collector' who's greatest joy comes from seeing others get off on their cache.

If it was me, I'd figure out what bike I had the most parts for and build myself a NOS Harley, then sell the rest. There's an awful lot of money setting in that building.

Fishman
06-29-2010, 07:23 PM
The best part was he was holding onto his buddies old knucklehead with his buddies ashes in a cigar tube taped to the handle bars so he could give it to his buddies 4 your old grandson when he's old enough to ride..that way he can ride with grandpa...pretty cool

zamochit
06-29-2010, 08:56 PM
I try to always catch the show every week. These guys get some great leads on some cool stuff.

Gas Man
06-30-2010, 01:14 AM
set the dvr

telecast
06-30-2010, 08:29 AM
I try to always catch the show every week. These guys get some great leads on some cool stuff.

I'd give my left nut to do that for a living. Cruising around the country looking for rusted treasure in old buildings.

What red blooded American male doesn't get pumped walking through a junk yard full of old cars? When I was a kid we went to junkyards for parts. You'd ask the counter guy how much for whatever you were looking for. He'd give you a price, and always say "If you can find one."

We'd walk around with our tools going through cars stacked 5 or 6 high, pull whatever parts we wanted to buy and take them to the counter. Man, I loved that shit.

That was back before scrap was worth much. Now they crush everything and sell it.

Gas Man
06-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Yeah the standard issue old school junk yards aren't around nearly as much.

Fishman
06-30-2010, 10:13 PM
It was on again tonight

Gas Man
07-01-2010, 02:04 AM
My DVR was suppose to record it... will have to chk when I get home