PDA

View Full Version : Can't wait for Sunday!

telecast
06-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Dad is coming over for his favorite, ribs. But no crappy gas grill this year, I get to try out my new offset grill/smoker/barbeque. Charcoal and hickory, home made rub and BBQ sauce. Get them on by 9:00 am, then around 6 hours of indirect heat.

Mmmmm, ribs!

Gas Man
06-18-2010, 08:07 AM
What's your address again? :D

Mudpuppy
06-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah no doubt - i have to drive 10 hours so i will be sucking the gas pipe sunday - mfp.. every year father's day i get pimped - last year some f'kstick planned a graduation party - who the f'k does that? no respect i tell ya - like rodney dangerfield.. this year i am headed south for work.. never fails.. enjoy the ribs, i'll be eating a happy meal from mcds on the road and then shitting like a goose from the toxins of the fast food crap..

Rider
06-18-2010, 10:58 AM
I might need to smoke another pork shoulder this weekend.

Thruxtonbill
06-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Once you go charcoal you never go back, fvck that gas, you might as well cook it inside, it's against the very fiber of what being a man and GRILLIN OUTSIDE is.
You got me thinking ribs now Tele (tks BTW). Remember if you're using lighter fluid (you prolly allredy now this) Let them coals get compleatly white. Lighting charcaol without fluid works even better http://www.opentutorial.com/Light_charcoal_without_lighter_fluid

Asparagus on the grill is FANTASTIC, lightly brush with EVOO and sprinkle with sesame seeds, it's the bombdiggity. Mich asparagus is in season now.

telecast
06-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Still have a gas grill, but I got tired of spending $350 to have it last 2 years. We do a lot of afterwork weeknight grilling, so when this thing dies we'll get a cheap ass $88 rig for everyday use. Then when it dies I won't care. But for company, it'll be charcoal/wood from here out.

I'll light a very small fire in the side burner box, then when the coals are hot I'll add some hickory and (maybe) a touch of mesquite, just for the first 2-3 hours, then finish with charcoal. This won't be grilling, it'll be REAL barbequing. Screw boiling the ribs, that takes all the flavor out. Just nice slow even heat for 6 hours.

We love grilled asparagus!

BTW, someone told me there's a guy on Will Carleton just west of Flat Rock that sells all kinds of bulk wood for BBQ. Oak, Cherry, Apple, etc. My burner box is large enough to take a standard fireplace sized log. Does anyone know where this guy is?

Gas Man
06-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Yeah no doubt - i have to drive 10 hours so i will be sucking the gas pipe sunday - mfp.. every year father's day i get pimped - last year some f'kstick planned a graduation party - who the f'k does that? no respect i tell ya - like rodney dangerfield.. this year i am headed south for work.. never fails.. enjoy the ribs, i'll be eating a happy meal from mcds on the road and then shitting like a goose from the toxins of the fast food crap..
And what persay will you being doing with the happy meal toy? You're not going to need another trip to the ER while wearing a blanket over your bottom half again are you?

Mudpuppy
06-18-2010, 06:30 PM
no but you might there cupcake

Bob
06-19-2010, 07:47 AM
I just filled up our propane tank yesterday. We're bbq'ing for father's day as well. I love charcoal but lose patience too fast. haha

Chris300s
06-19-2010, 08:47 AM
Mmmmm, ribs!

Did you want me to bring coleslaw or potatoes?
Sounds like you've got a nice technique. If you've never been here before check out http://www.amazingribs.com/. It saved me from ruining ribs with a stock pot.

telecast
06-19-2010, 09:16 PM
That's where I got the sauce recipe.

I got the rub from http://bbqinstitute.com That's also where I got the info to trim them to St. Louis style. The diaphragm meat is removed along with the flap of meat from close to the shoulder. Those go on the grill as 'tasters'. I also removed the membrane from the inside of the ribs. This is all new to me, I used to boil and grill with no prep.

My wife asked about how many ribs to get. I told her about 5 racks. Jeez, these things are huge. I am not kidding when I say the pan weighs about 45 lbs.

So, I got them trimmed, put a thin coat of mustard on, then the rub. They're in the fridge ready to go. Also made the sauce today, it's really tasty.

I'll tell you one thing, after all this these had better be the best freakin' ribs I've ever tasted!

RedneckMedic
06-19-2010, 10:08 PM
so i take it your going with spare ribs? can i ask why?

telecast
06-19-2010, 10:49 PM
Sure rug, it's something else I learned. Baby back ribs are just the top portion of spare ribs. It's basically determined by a cut of the bandsaw. Cooked properly (which we won't know until tomorrow!) spare ribs are better. Here's a quote from the BBQ Institute:

Just as beef filet mignon does not have a lot of flavor, pork back ribs do not a lot of flavor. To get the most out of them a marinade is a really good idea and mopping also helps.

But since they're more tender from the git-go, and smaller so they cook faster, they're easier to grill or sell at Chili's. But for BBQ, Spare ribs rule!

Or so I'm told.

I'll let you know....

Gas Man
06-20-2010, 06:23 AM
WTF Tele... now I want some ribs!!! DAMNIT!

telecast
06-20-2010, 07:02 AM
HA! Now I'm gonna go all Gas Man on yer ass and post pics!

telecast
06-20-2010, 09:16 AM
Ready to rock:
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/telecast_photos/100_0648.jpg

Did I mention these things are huge? I've had 6 racks of normal sized ribs on my gas grill, this cooking surface is half again as big, 5 max with the trimmings.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/telecast_photos/100_0649.jpg

Bob
06-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Where is Rugby at in this convo? He works at a meat market for crying out loud.

We went yesterday and got steaks. Hopefully they turn out good. I'm trying to better my grilling skills and have been watching some youtube vids on grilling. :D

telecast
06-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Look up 6 posts.

Thruxtonbill
06-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Looking GOOD Tele, should be quite a feast, now cut your grass.

telecast
06-20-2010, 12:21 PM
It was cut yesterday.

Bob
06-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Look up 6 posts.

That's what I get for skimming!

telecast
06-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Well, the ribs kicked ass! The rub and sauce recipes were right on, although I toned down some of the cayenne pepper.

The method is supreme. 6 hours on at around 235 degrees, rotating the racks end for end and moving them to different locations every 2 hours, but never turning them over. They cooked bone down the entire time. When they're done you can push a toothpick through the meat like it's going into butter! It was almost falling off the bone.

It took some effort keeping the temp up at first because the ribs were coming out of the refrigerator. After about 2-3 hours things settled down and it only took a few handfuls of charcoal and/or wood to keep it steady. It's kind of surprising how much adding a layer of charcoal can cool down a fire. It blocks all the embers until it catches. Found out it's better to add a half layer more often. 6 hours = about 18lbs of charcoal, 3lbs of hickory, and 1lb of mesquite.

End result was worth it, best I ever made by a long shot. My oldest daughter hates ribs, won't eat them. She ate these. Rave reviews from everyone, had to give out the recipes and method.

Next up, I'm going to try a beef brisket.

Here's the BBQ unit. This is available for about $160, so you don't need to spend big bucks to make perfect ribs. There are smaller units too if you don't need the cooking surface, but it's nice to have especially when you only pull this out when you have people over. Total cooking surface is over 1000 Sq Inches.
http://www.air-n-water.com/photos/7594-m.jpg

Gas Man
06-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I was talking about this to a buddy of mine... found out he builds these smokers and various grills.

RedneckMedic
06-22-2010, 12:15 AM
is paul jr. your friend

http://www.pauljrdesigns.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/10.21.09-coleman_shoot_03.jpg

Gas Man
06-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Um NO.

telecast
06-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Paul Jr. didn't actually build that grill, he just bolted together a kit.....

RedneckMedic
06-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Paul Jr. didn't actually build that grill, he just bolted together a kit.....
haha awesome

Where is Rugby at in this convo? He works at a meat market for crying out loud.

We went yesterday and got steaks. Hopefully they turn out good. I'm trying to better my grilling skills and have been watching some youtube vids on grilling.

ya im a cook/meat cutter and from my knowledge of the pig anatomy the spare ribs are the belly side of the pig and take the most abuse which is why the back ribs hence the name are from the back dont get beat up on as much and is why they grade higher. However if cooked right i like the spare ribs better because there is more meat on them and like tele said they do take longer to get tender. and now you got me really wanting to go make some ribs im really hungry now.

and bob thanks for saying hi when you were in there.

RedneckMedic
06-22-2010, 02:49 PM
and my attitude on cooking is since i dont use recipes or anything i just kinda of go with the flow is that everything is a look a smell a taste and a feel because if it looks and smells like shit your not gunna eat it and it has to taste good as your put it in your mouth and if it feels like a your chewing on a wet sock your gunna spit it out.

Bob
06-22-2010, 08:05 PM
haha awesome

ya im a cook/meat cutter and from my knowledge of the pig anatomy the spare ribs are the belly side of the pig and take the most abuse which is why the back ribs hence the name are from the back dont get beat up on as much and is why they grade higher. However if cooked right i like the spare ribs better because there is more meat on them and like tele said they do take longer to get tender. and now you got me really wanting to go make some ribs im really hungry now.

and bob thanks for saying hi when you were in there.

My wife went. LOL