PDA

View Full Version : Car Transmissions

Rider
06-17-2010, 03:53 PM
Anyone here know anything about automatic transmissions. My 97 Nissan Maxima has started a high pitched whine in the transmission when the car is warm. Shifts from 1-2 are also pretty hard. Car has 142K miles and I am the original owner of that car and performed all scheduled maintenance. Took it to a transmission shop and they said they would have to remove tear the transmission apart in order to give me an accurate estimate. A cost for $450 if I decide not to fix it, no charge is I have the repair done by them. He said repair bills for that car average between $1250 and $2500. Reasonable or too much? How hard is it to rebuild a tranny for an amateur, weekend, home mechanic?

I think I may be looking for a new car soon.

Mudpuppy
06-17-2010, 04:35 PM
i have installed trannys but never messed with the guts.. my knowledge is limited to floor jack, piece of wood, ratchet, socket, bolts.

Bob
06-17-2010, 07:56 PM
Anyone here know anything about automatic transmissions. My 97 Nissan Maxima has started a high pitched whine in the transmission when the car is warm. Shifts from 1-2 are also pretty hard. Car has 142K miles and I am the original owner of that car and performed all scheduled maintenance. Took it to a transmission shop and they said they would have to remove tear the transmission apart in order to give me an accurate estimate. A cost for $450 if I decide not to fix it, no charge is I have the repair done by them. He said repair bills for that car average between $1250 and $2500. Reasonable or too much? How hard is it to rebuild a tranny for an amateur, weekend, home mechanic?

I think I may be looking for a new car soon.

Take it to someone that deals a lot in Japanese cars. When I had my Hondas the "regular" mechanics always wanted to charge an arm and a leg because it was "foreign". I was lucky to have a Honda special shop right down the road and it was always way cheaper. Where are you located?

horrorbusiness
06-17-2010, 08:07 PM
A high pitch whine could be a tourqe convertor, A harsh shift is most likely something in the valve body. At 140k it could be a risky business to change the fluid and filter. What happens is the old worn out ole fluid has all the material off the clutches and it keeps things working. I would get a second opinion, alot of the transmission only places are crooked as a barrel of snakes.

wrath
06-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Maybe search the salvage yards for a used/low miles tranny and do the swap yerself.. save ya quite a few hundred bucks and usually comes with a 30 day. May give you a few more years on the new car hit to the wallet..

other than the trans has it been reliable? (ie... not nickle and dimein' ya)
that would be a factor also to just get rid of it.

Good Luck.............

RedneckMedic
06-18-2010, 12:07 AM
dont know what area your from but trenton transmission does pretty good work. and if you go in there and tell them this is all you have to pay they work with you on what there going to do and they like to try and make different things work and rig different stuff up if your on a budget and need the car to keep running.

Gas Man
06-18-2010, 07:59 AM
RUGBY he's in grand rapids.... LOL

Rider, I agree in getting a second opinion and perhaps a jap specific place if possible.

You say you've dont the maintance. Have you changed the filter and oil regularly? If not I agree hb. Changing it now is risky. There is also a coating of almost lacquer built up on the inside from the old fluid. You put in fresh fluid and it will break that down. Sometimes causing the valve body to get clogged and poof. The trans wont work. Understanding that the trans fluid is it's blood. It really is what moves the car.

As a plan B I would consider the swap. However, with that being front wheel drive, consider that you will also have to pull the motor many times to do so.

Final plac C... again as wrath said. consider just trading it in. They won't test drive so they wont hear the whine. Get $1500 for it and move on with life.

the honest to goodness truth about it for future reference. If you have an automatic trans. Here's what I did with my 290k Pontiac that never had the trans worked on. Every 40-50k miles I would have it serviced. this time I would have the filter replaced and fluid topped off (understanding that this doesnt change all the fluid in the trans). Next time around I would have the fluid flushed, filter left alone. When I turned that car in (I simply didn't need it anymore) it was 14yrs old and nearly 300k on the clock. Motor and trans never worked on. Still would haul 85mph all day, never feared taking it anywhere. Got 25-27mpg. Awesome car. I still kinda wish I had it.... ugly but awesome car...

It's final day with me.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Vechicles/49310353925.jpg

And a fitting tribute, 9R and all
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Vechicles/Garage012a.jpg

Rider
06-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I flushed the tranny fluid every 30k miles but the filter has never been replaced. I'll get a second opinion form a foreign car mechanic. The car has been very reliable but it's at an age where little things need attention. Aside from the transmission problems, the Bose stereo is no longer working, the OEM suspension needs to be replaced and I will need new tires in about 10K miles. I just put new rims on it a few months back as the OEM wheels started to corrode and would not hold air in the tires. I look at it this way though, I paid cash for that car in 97 and have never had a car payment on it. Giving it up at 140K miles is a lot sooner than i hoped but I don't want to sink thousands of dollars into a 13 yo car.

Mudpuppy
06-18-2010, 10:20 AM
chris - what kind of harley is that in there with that pontiac? i think i saw one like that out of gas in the paddock at grattan.. the owner of the bike was tearing it apart to get it running..

Gas Man
06-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I flushed the tranny fluid every 30k miles but the filter has never been replaced. I'll get a second opinion form a foreign car mechanic. The car has been very reliable but it's at an age where little things need attention. Aside from the transmission problems, the Bose stereo is no longer working, the OEM suspension needs to be replaced and I will need new tires in about 10K miles. I just put new rims on it a few months back as the OEM wheels started to corrode and would not hold air in the tires. I look at it this way though, I paid cash for that car in 97 and have never had a car payment on it. Giving it up at 140K miles is a lot sooner than i hoped but I don't want to sink thousands of dollars into a 13 yo car.

Then the trans should be good inside. See what the 2nd opinion is. I agree, I wouldn't throw in the towel. The little Nissan should be good for at least 200k

If you were down here by me, I would suggest this badass place for suspension work (Gaurdian on West Rd). But either way suspension isn't that hard, you could do it yourself.

chris - what kind of harley is that in there with that pontiac? i think i saw one like that out of gas in the paddock at grattan.. the owner of the bike was tearing it apart to get it running..

LOL... oh the times when I went from Gas Man to NO Gas Man

Mudpuppy
06-18-2010, 06:31 PM
and i rike the WOS sticker.. nice..

Mad Dog
06-19-2010, 09:11 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/th_Entabulator.jpg (http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r84/Valueteck/?action=view&current=Entabulator.flv)

RedneckMedic
06-19-2010, 10:04 PM
its all so much clearer now!!!

Rider
06-21-2010, 08:45 AM
I feel like that at work some days. "Say what motherfucker?" LOL