PDA

View Full Version : Mother*%&# Insurance!

telecast
06-14-2010, 08:31 AM
My renewal came in the mail yesterday. Has anyone taken a look recently at the MCCA Assesment and Recoupment fees? With the Sporty and Road King together it's $286 a year. What pisses me off is a motorcycle accident doesn't even qualify UNLESS there's a car involved. It seems to me the car would have to pay that, not the bike.

Time to renew. I'm going to look around a bit, but will probably end up with Progressive again. They want $807 for the year (both bikes), but that's with a 2 vehicle discount. I sold the Sporty on Saturday, so it'll add more to the FLH. I can get a discount for paying in full, which I'll do, but no idea how much. As of right now it looks like $545 for the FLH, add $X because no 2 vehicle discount, subtract $X for paying in full.

I am told I can get a better deal by going through them direct instead of a local agent. I'll call today and find out.

Lumpy
06-14-2010, 09:10 AM
If you can find an agent that sells insurance for a company called Victoria, get a quote from them. They gave me discounts for little stuff that Progressive never even asked about. They were able to up my coverages and get me roadside assistance (which I didn't have with Progressive). They also saved me about 70 bucks a year on the process.

Chain
06-14-2010, 09:13 AM
If you can find an agent that sells insurance for a company called Victoria, get a quote from them. They gave me discounts for little stuff that Progressive never even asked about. They were able to up my coverages and get me roadside assistance (which I didn't have with Progressive). They also saved me about 70 bucks a year on the process.

yup! I got mine thru a guy in Lions. Saved me Hundreds on two skoots!

telecast
06-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Found a local agent listed with Victoria, called, turns out I know the agent! She said they're doing away with Victoria since they changed hands, but is scouring her 4 other underwriters for a price.

NEWS FLASH! The MCCA increase this year goes into effect on July 1. My policy expires on July 6, so I will pay it if I renew. BUT, if I get a new policy from another company by June 30 I can avoid the annual increase.

Mudpuppy
06-14-2010, 10:35 AM
I have State Farm and its lowest price I can find.. Recently I have seen commercials for All State or something claiming low prices on motorcycle insurance - like starting at $100 a year or something..

Gas Man
06-14-2010, 01:20 PM
State Farm FTW

Mudpuppy
06-14-2010, 01:40 PM
funny just got my premium notice in the mail from state farm today.. what a coinkydink.. i think i will run a mile in 4 pairs of black sweat pants, then teabag the bill and mail it back to them with my check.. f'king insurance companies..

RedneckMedic
06-14-2010, 02:11 PM
You only save 25 bucks by paying in full with progressive its a 5 dollar installment fee each payment

telecast
06-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Well, so far no luck. All the others are around the same price.

Gas Man
06-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Well, so far no luck. All the others are around the same price.
That's cause it's not the ins company... it's that cunt in lansing!!

But honestly... do a search on that shit. This shit has been around for years. Ins companies are just not listing it seperate so you know who's ass humpin you. It's not them...

telecast
06-15-2010, 07:48 AM
The MCCA was created to provide ulimited medical care for people who are injured in car accidents. Michigan is the ONLY state that has this. New York is the next highest, capped at $50,000, which covers 94% of all accident victims. No insurance company has to pay out more than $440,000 on a single accident. After that, the MCCA kicks in.

MCCA invests the money to try and keep the cost down. Last year it was a $101 assessment plus $24 recoup costs, in other words they didn't collect enough the year before due to the stock market tanking, but claims stayed high.

This year the fee looks to be about $143 per vehicle for assessment and recoupment combined. That's the highest ever, the previous record was around $140.

It's a frigging shell game. As long as that fund is there, slimy lawyers will take advantage of it, and we'll all pay. I wonder how many people who are receiving lifetime benefits actually deserve them? Is it good or not? We have a bike and 3 cars, so we'll pay an EXTRA $572 this year. Anyone else with 4 vehicles will too. Last year we had 5 vehicles. At $125 per we paid $625. That's insane. I'm sure glad I sold the Sporty before I had to reinsure.

Checked the small independants yesterday. I still want to try and find Victoria. FYI for you guys who have it, my local independant says they're losing a lot of agents. Today I'll try State Farm, Allstate, and Progrssive direct instead of going through my agent.

telecast
06-15-2010, 08:45 AM
You only save 25 bucks by paying in full with progressive its a 5 dollar installment fee each payment

Nope, I just talked to them. There's a $50 discount plus the $5 installment fee. They had it at 4 payments, so it'd be a $70 savings.

Also found out that there is no discount for going directly through them as opposed to a local agent for bikes, only for car insurance.

Here's where I'm at:
Progressive: $545 paid all at once, $595 + installment fees if I make payments.

Grange: $645
Two other independants I can't recall the name of: $640 and $642.

telecast
06-15-2010, 08:58 AM
Recently I have seen commercials for All State or something claiming low prices on motorcycle insurance - like starting at $100 a year or something..

Well, so much for that They're the highest so far at $694.

telecast
06-15-2010, 09:27 AM
I have State Farm and its lowest price I can find.. Recently I have seen commercials for All State or something claiming low prices on motorcycle insurance - like starting at $100 a year or something..

State Farm FTW

And like a good Nayyyyybooooor....State Farm is there....

You guys win! $485 with broadform collision, $422 with standard. AND, they'll reduce coverage in the winter which Progressive will not.

We're taking our car and homeowners down there, the agency is like 3 blocks from the house.

Thanks for the great info!

Mudpuppy
06-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Well, so much for that They're the highest so far at $694.

Good to know I won't bother - they talk a big game on their commercials like all insurance companies do.

Good deal with State Farm - I have been insured by them for probably 20 years and never an issue ever.

telecast
06-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Interesting, State Farm and the others all asked for my Soc Sec # and other personal info because they take your credit score into account. I guess a better score means a more responsible person in their minds? Anyway, Allstate did not ask. They also didn't ask several other things, like how many drivers in the house, etc. The agent said they always quote 'best price' over the phone, so if they find something out when they actually get the info to write the policy, the cost will be higher. Screw that. State Farm asked everything, it took 5 minutes longer to get the quote, but it was (supposedly) an actual price, not a hip shot based on someone being perfect.

telecast
06-15-2010, 03:47 PM
Just found out State Farm doesn't offer roadside assistance for bikes. http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/images/smilies/cussing.gif

Kind of sucks. It's not a big deal, but I liked having it with Progressive.

Gas Man
06-15-2010, 06:26 PM
And like a good Nayyyyybooooor....State Farm is there....

You guys win! $485 with broadform collision, $422 with standard. AND, they'll reduce coverage in the winter which Progressive will not.

We're taking our car and homeowners down there, the agency is like 3 blocks from the house.

Thanks for the great info!

I have been runnin state farm since 2002. I had a bike claim on my brand new 3 day old 9R (only had the ins binder new). No shit, wind blew that f'er over in the parking lot, outside my apt. No lie. Swear on dad's grave. Agent said tehy had tons of homeowner claims that night too for wind damage. Anyway... $5k dealer job for that. No worries.

Every claim I've ever had car or bike with state farm. They have treated me like royality. And if you wreck your bike, get a estimate by any shop. Tell them you're doing the work. They will write the check out to you for the shop estimate (parts n labor). I've done it.

I insure my house, her ring, both cars, both bikes, and an umbrella policy with SF.

Interesting, State Farm and the others all asked for my Soc Sec # and other personal info because they take your credit score into account. I guess a better score means a more responsible person in their minds? Anyway, Allstate did not ask. They also didn't ask several other things, like how many drivers in the house, etc. The agent said they always quote 'best price' over the phone, so if they find something out when they actually get the info to write the policy, the cost will be higher. Screw that. State Farm asked everything, it took 5 minutes longer to get the quote, but it was (supposedly) an actual price, not a hip shot based on someone being perfect.

Yeah, credit rating plays something. For me it's always helped. Not sure how they do it, but they do something. And it's good to see that the SF agent gives you an honest quote not some BS.

Just found out State Farm doesn't offer roadside assistance for bikes. http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/images/smilies/cussing.gif

Kind of sucks. It's not a big deal, but I liked having it with Progressive.

I have AAA Gold Plus RV. They will tow ANYTHING ANY WHERE up to 100 miles, 6 times a year. $75 a year for it. I have had more of my buds bike's towed with it than any of my own stuff. They don't care as long as I'm there with the card.

But you could also pick up AMA's roadside. It's cheaper from what I hear. I just don't get it cause I like having my AAA. It allows me to book vacations thru them, get discounts on all kinds of things, etc.

telecast
06-15-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I was a AAA member for years. Not interested. Plus if I have to spend $75 for road service, I'll just stick with Progressive.

There's always a string attached. No such thing as a good deal anymore.

Gas Man
06-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Check AMA... they have one... its just for bikes but is cheaper.

The thing about the AAA Gold Plus RV is that they will tow anything. If I'm pulling a trailer and my truck dies. They will tow both. Plus 100 miles not 25 miles that they have on the cheaper plans.

EDIT: The AMA roadside is $35 plus your annual membership ($39).

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/roadride/motow.asp

However, it's only 35 miles and only 5 a year. It covers anything as well. But not really cheaper either.

RedneckMedic
06-16-2010, 12:23 AM
thats pretty cool. i thought progressive automatically came with road side assistance.

telecast
06-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Progressive's is $10 a year. It includes towing to the nearest authorized repair facility, no limit on mileage. They also offer trip interuption. If the bike breaks down they tow it and will put you up and feed you for a few days while it's getting fixed. It also covers rental bikes.

Adding another $70-80 for road service to State Farm's insurance cost puts it a lot closer to Progressive. I'll check around a bit more, but will probably end up staying put. This shit pisses me off. I went down the list with the agent. Here's what I have, this, this, this. I want it identical. She calls me back with the 'good news', but said she wanted to check on a couple of things. When she called back again she told me no roadside assistance, and they don't really offer anything for custom parts. She said if I keep all my receipts, take pictures, etc, they'll replace them. But, if you look on State Farm's website they only offer custom part replacement as an option, so, more money. Progressive provides $3,000 worth automatically.

telecast
06-16-2010, 07:38 AM
Here's Progressive's Roadside Assistance:

Roadside Assistance coverage provides towing to the nearest qualified repair facility and necessary labor at the place of breakdown when your motorcycle or off-road vehicle is disabled due to any of the following:

Mechanical or electrical breakdown
Dead battery
Flat tire
Lockout
Insufficient supply of fuel, oil, water or other fluids
Entrapment in snow, mud, water or sand within 100 feet of the roadway
This coverage extends to trailers being towed by a motorcycle. Immediate sign and drive assistance means you have no out-of-pocket expenses — just sign the receipt and you're back on your way. Roadside Assistance is available 24/7.
Roadside Assistance can be purchased for less than $1 a month.

For another $5 a year you can add trip interuption. If you're on a bike trip and break down, they'll give you up to $100/night for lodging and $50/day for food to a maximum of $500.

Gas Man
06-16-2010, 08:12 AM
Well as far as SF... let me assure you. They cover aftermarket, no questions. TRUST ME. I have been there. When it comes to claims with SF. They never screw you.

As far as towing... you can keep that

provides towing to the nearest qualified repair facility and necessary labor at the place of breakdown
I want my bike towed to where I want. not the the nearest blah blah blah.

Further, I don't want them asking me or having a tow truck driver fuck qualifing my down bike. Only if... blah blah blah. F that! What if you crashed, then what? They will probably tell you, no problem towing from that is covered under the claim. F THAT. What if I don't want to make a claim?!

Right back to the Mac vs PC debate. You get what you pay for.

telecast
06-16-2010, 08:30 AM
That's 100% conjecture on your part. 'What if's' and 'probablies' are meaningless. If some has had that experience, let's hear it.

I've been with AAA. I also spent 3 years driving a AAA tow truck. It ain't all it's cracked up to be.

Gas Man
06-16-2010, 10:05 AM
You're right Tele. Last time I used my AAA. I waited for like 2hrs. Then the guy they sent didn't know fuck. Luckily I had the wife bring me my good bike straps. Luckily I was in a parking lot and not on the side of the road. I had to do everything but drive the truck. I called and complaigned the next day. They took that off my count (6 per year) of tows.

I think next time they screw me around on a tow. I will call a well known company that I know is AAA. Then I will either pay for the tow and go back for re-embursement or just call AAA then and say Company " " is here and they are taking the job.

However, I can't imagine anything similar by Ins Comp or AMA is going to work any better. I used GM Roadside once and it was decent. But that only covers your GM car/truck and will only tow to closest dealer.

Chris300s
06-16-2010, 11:21 AM
Now can't you get along?

Gas Man
06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
Now can't you get along?
I'm cornfused by this?

I'm in no way shape or form upset or even miffed with Tele. We're just e-jousting with these insurance fucks that get you both ways sure as shit.

telecast
06-16-2010, 12:05 PM
I don't think any of them will work any better than the next. The thing that bugs me about the 100 mile limit is being 250 miles from home. At that point you're stuck. It has to go somewhere, and who knows where they'll take it? With the 'nearest authorized service' tow it'll get to a place that can fix it enough to get you home.

And I'm with GM. Who's mad? At least there's one interesting discussion going on in this otherwise dead-ass forum.

Gas Man
06-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Well I have a map in my tourpack when I'm on the road. Part of my hog membership. It lists every HD dealer in every state, Canada and some other places too. I would just have them take it there.

telecast
06-16-2010, 12:24 PM
Cool. See if there's one in this circle:

http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm?clat=33.257057&clng=-103.317728&r=100&n=75&lc=FFFFFF&lw=1&fc=00FF00

Chris300s
06-16-2010, 12:45 PM
And I'm with GM. Who's mad? At least there's one interesting discussion going on in this otherwise dead-ass forum.

I was just kidding, seemed like you were about to go off the rails. My mistake.

Gas Man
06-16-2010, 12:49 PM
Nah.. no railing Chris... it's cool. You makin progress with your sporty? update your thread if you have.