PDA

View Full Version : More Ninja 250 madness

vortech302
06-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Warm it up, it'll idle with the choke on, 3/4 on, once you unchoke it she dies. Put it in gear with choke on, start rolling in first you can unchoke it and it'll run fine as long as you're giving it some throttle, you can ride around with no issues until you come up to a light. If you leave the choke off she dies, fully choke the bike she'll idle, leave the light and unchoke it it runs fine again. I completely drained the tank and carbs, one gallon of premium and a can of sea foam to get to this point since the bike didn't run at all before. I rode for 60 miles like this with no improvement.
Am I looking at pulling the carbs to clean and synch them, or should I run a tank of gas through it first hoping that it's fixed?

aeryck
06-05-2010, 03:01 PM
Dumb question but did you check your idle speed screw? Sounds like its just set too low.

Bob
06-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Warm it up, it'll idle with the choke on, 3/4 on, once you unchoke it she dies. Put it in gear with choke on, start rolling in first you can unchoke it and it'll run fine as long as you're giving it some throttle, you can ride around with no issues until you come up to a light. If you leave the choke off she dies, fully choke the bike she'll idle, leave the light and unchoke it it runs fine again. I completely drained the tank and carbs, one gallon of premium and a can of sea foam to get to this point since the bike didn't run at all before. I rode for 60 miles like this with no improvement.
Am I looking at pulling the carbs to clean and synch them, or should I run a tank of gas through it first hoping that it's fixed?

I'd run a tank of gas with either Gumout or SeaFoam through it. I find Gumout works faster on really gummed up motors.

junkyardjon
06-05-2010, 07:32 PM
just clean the carbs and all should be good

wango
06-05-2010, 09:14 PM
I'd bet the idle jet is plugged, clean the carbs and remove the jet, use a small sewing needle or pin to clear the passage, it's tiny. A small piece of dirt will plug it easily and if its been sitting awhile it can gum up really fast.

I just cleared two of them, one on a friends Polaris Quad and the other on my son's Yamaha dirtbike. One was a fourstroke the other a two stroke and both had the same problem your describing. Both had been sitting a awhile and the carbs had some varnish/gumming in them. I use B12Chemtool from autozone, both in carb cleaner form and in the fuel additive form. But if the jets are plugged, your best bet is to pull the carbs and clean them.

wrath
06-06-2010, 12:58 AM
You put a whole can of seafoam to 1 gallon of gas?

I say check the idle screw like was mentioned 1st..keep running seafoam
1 oz/gallon of gas thru it. Change plugs and check synch. Don't let it sit without being started more than 2 weeks..todays gas goes bad in a hurry.

aeryck
06-06-2010, 02:29 PM
I'd bet the idle jet is plugged, clean the carbs and remove the jet, use a small sewing needle or pin to clear the passage, it's tiny. A small piece of dirt will plug it easily and if its been sitting awhile it can gum up really fast.

+1 on this if the idle screw isn't the issue.. The only additional thing I will add to this is be careful using needles to clear the jets - If you enlarge the jet holes by accident it could cause some major problems.

It might also work if you can soak the jets to try and soften up the gunk before you clean them.

RoadZombie
06-06-2010, 07:50 PM
$10 on the idle jets being clogged. My 750 had exactly the same issue.

junkyardjon
06-06-2010, 11:01 PM
and if the boot is hard, just boil it for a few mintes to soften it up. that also helps make a good seal too.

vortech302
06-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Wow, thanks for all the responses. I haven't had a chance to play with it the past few days, but I'm gonna try and ride it this week a couple times to see if it gets better. I've messed with the idle screw hoping that would fix it to no avail, I'm guessing it's gonna need the carbs cleaned.

wango
06-07-2010, 11:42 AM
+1 on being careful cleaning the jets. I should have mentioned that, like aeryck said, soak them first, then carefully remove any varnish/gum that may be in them. Blow them out with compressed air, if you have an air compressor available.

RoadZombie
06-07-2010, 04:44 PM
I normally use some stranded wire (standard automotive wire you can get at Murray's) to clean pilot jets. Just strip back 6-8" of insulation from the wire and separate a single strand out. Clip it off and run that through the passages. Since it's copper, it is softer than the brass jets and you are less likely to damage anything.