PDA

View Full Version : MSF course

Doug
05-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Took the MSF weekend course with my wife a couple weeks ago. (She passed without any trouble. I was so freaking proud of her)

Getting the refresher was cool, seems there's alot of stuff I just forgot all about. There were about 5 of us total out of the approx 60 who were just refreshing and/or being there for somebody.

But those instructors man, I gotta say, have their work cut out for them. And to stand out in the hot sun all day giving up the whole weekend to teach some people, (including some who are not so teachable) seems to take some level of patience or something I sure don't have. I couldn't do what they do.

One instructor got so pissed at one point he threw his hat on the ground and stop everything his little group was doing.

There were several people who didn't get to finish because they couldn't past the first test. There were a few who even didn't bother to return after the first night of classroom stuff. One lady almost crashed into me and another guy who was parked next to me; she was trying some sort of turn going to fast then going to wide and going way off her intended path.

If not for two fast acting instructors jumping to the sides of her to stop her, all three of us would have went down.

Overall it was cool though for most and it was also cool to be able to fart around on a little bike ina larger parking lot without have to worry about traffic, chuck holes, and trash.

Bob
05-30-2010, 07:29 PM
We had this little black guy as one instructor and he was a total tool. He was even yelling at the other instructors. If it wasn't for that guy I'd of really enjoyed my class. Instead I just kept wanting to run that ghetto rat over.

That is the problem with the Michigan test. It's $25 so every moron that ever thought about a bike or watched Sons of Anarchy now takes the class. So the classes fill up in a day and nobody can get in. Then after the first day 1/2 the class drops out because it was only $25 to begin with. I with they'd charged $500 or something so you only get the serious riders.

Chris300s
05-31-2010, 10:27 AM
We gave my brother a '83 Nighthawk for Christmas so the MSF course has been a weekly topic. I've been riding on the street for 20 years, dad for 46 (+/-) and we're both planning to take it with him. It's the best $25 spent in my opinion. We'll get him through the MSF course this summer and maybe the Riders Edge course next.

I had to take it when I was 16 to get my OCY and insurance even though I'd been riding dirt bikes since I was little. We were all backed up against the curb for the "slow race" revving the crap out of our Rebel 80's. The guy next to me drops the clutch and the bike shoots our from underneath him, makes it 15 feet and falls over on its side. We howled, he didn't make it much further.

Chris

junkyardjon
05-31-2010, 11:09 AM
i'm taking one next weekend at MCC. should i bring popcorn? LOL
my mom took one and it cost $300 but it wasn't a goverment funded program. lasted a couple weeks and there was a huge book she had to study.

Bob
05-31-2010, 11:13 AM
i'm taking one next weekend at MCC. should i bring popcorn? LOL
my mom took one and it cost $300 but it wasn't a goverment funded program. lasted a couple weeks and there was a huge book she had to study.

Yeah those $300 courses are usually good and on much better bikes. Usually the people in the class are taking it seriously because they had to pay $300 and it's not a bunch of people just seeing if they'd like to ride or not.

RoadZombie
05-31-2010, 12:02 PM
I did the $25 course through Schoolcraft when I was 16. Guy I work with just took the $300 Riders Edge class through HD. It was the same instructors (the instructor flat out told them). The difference is that I was in a class of 50...he was in a class of 6. The other difference was that he had nice Buell Blasts to ride, I had "donor bikes"...that were hardly bikes at all. If I had it all to do over again, I'd still take the $25 course. You learn the same things and personally, I'd rather save the $275 for gas, tires, or other bike goodies. Going in I was already familiar with bikes so I pretty much was there just for the road test portion. I did pick up some helpful tib-bits along the way as well though.

aeryck
05-31-2010, 12:55 PM
When I took my MSF course, I had already been riding on a TIP with Mudpuppy for a while so I had opted to take the Intermediate level course, which is basically the beginner course abridged slightly and condensed to a one 10-hour day class instead of the weekend class. Plus I had to provide my own bike (and for the record, an '08 Ninja 250R is a GREAT MSF bike..)

I still learned a lot at the one-day class and got my full endorsement that way. There were probably 25 people in the class, and I would wager probably half of them or more were people taking it as a refresher.

I still had to laugh though; throughout the class there was only one person that dropped his bike..... The instructor.

Gas Man
05-31-2010, 09:02 PM
MSF is badass

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/July2007019.jpg

RoadZombie
05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Hahaha! Schoolcraft Radcliffe as well? Looks like the bike I had on my first day before laying claim to a little Rebel 250.

Gas Man
05-31-2010, 11:15 PM
Your right RZ

NinjaGirl
06-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Hahaha! Schoolcraft Radcliffe as well? Looks like the bike I had on my first day before laying claim to a little Rebel 250.

Took mine there too. And I think every driver of any vehicle should have to take the $25 class. I realize there would be a bunch of idiots in the class, but it would make cage drivers a little more aware of the motorcyclists. Or maybe some of them I suppose. I know it changed the way I drive a cage.

RoadZombie
06-01-2010, 12:59 PM
I prefer just letting bikers shoot retarded cagers instead. Easier solution to the problem AND it cleans up the gene pool. Wonder which congressman would back my "Open season on morons" inititive...

aeryck
06-01-2010, 02:34 PM
Took mine there too. And I think every driver of any vehicle should have to take the $25 class. I realize there would be a bunch of idiots in the class, but it would make cage drivers a little more aware of the motorcyclists. Or maybe some of them I suppose. I know it changed the way I drive a cage.

I've had a similar thought for a long time... Not so much make everyone take a MSF class, but make everyone ride a motorcycle for 1 week as part of their driver's training class.

IMHO, I don't necessarily think it was the MSF class itself that opened your eyes to motorcycles on the roadway, but the fact that you ride one now. I was the same way; when I started riding I noticed that I would see a lot more motorcycles on the road.. I know they didn't just appear out of nowhere, but that they had always been there and I was just more in tune to noticing them.

You might notice a similar phenomenon with vehicles.. Have you ever noticed that when you buy a new car, all of a sudden you start noticing more and more of that make/model on the road?

RoadZombie
06-01-2010, 03:47 PM
IMHO, I don't necessarily think it was the MSF class itself that opened your eyes to motorcycles on the roadway, but the fact that you ride one now.

Agreed. I can't really even tell you what I remember from the MSF course I took 14 years ago. I can definitely tell you that the way you drive does change after you ride though. i.e. looking further ahead while driving...predicting the possible stupid shit people are going to do...hell, I even look through the corner now while driving. No pushing on the steering wheel though ;-)

Mudpuppy
06-01-2010, 04:49 PM
I've had a similar thought for a long time... Not so much make everyone take a MSF class, but make everyone ride a motorcycle for 1 week as part of their driver's training class.

IMHO, I don't necessarily think it was the MSF class itself that opened your eyes to motorcycles on the roadway, but the fact that you ride one now. I was the same way; when I started riding I noticed that I would see a lot more motorcycles on the road.. I know they didn't just appear out of nowhere, but that they had always been there and I was just more in tune to noticing them.

You might notice a similar phenomenon with vehicles.. Have you ever noticed that when you buy a new car, all of a sudden you start noticing more and more of that make/model on the road?

I say give everyone starting out who never rode before a GSXR 1000 and put them on 696 during rush hour with a questionable helmet, sandals, shorts and a wifebeater. If they can make it from Novi to Roseville then they get their license. Good luck and God Speed.

junkyardjon
06-02-2010, 12:15 AM
yeah i plan on using there donor bike cause my 9 foot, 43 degree rake, 8" trail, open pipe bike might not make it around the cones LOL. but i would give it a shot if they woundn't fail me!! i'm going on a 3,000 mile bike trip in 2 weeks so i gotta pass LOL

i tried asking if they offered only a road test but no go

Mudpuppy
06-02-2010, 11:18 AM
they give concessions for larger bikes..

and i never took the MSF just the road test but that was 15+ years ago.. i took the MSF a long time after i got my license just because my 2 bone headed friends were riding around without a license and i said i would take it with them to make them get their license.. then before i went to the track i would do the MSF course every year (advanced course on my own bike) as a refresher to start the riding season..

RedneckMedic
06-02-2010, 11:49 AM
ya i had a buddy that just tried taking the test and he failed it 3 times then they made him take the course. when i took the course last year i had a good time but all the people in my group were decent riders and i had never rode anything besides my little honda spree. but your right there were some assholes out there just messing around and one instructor failed about half his group before the first day of riding was over. I thought the bikes we had were nice for a 25 dollar class. i had an 05 nighthawk 250 for most of the class then took the test on a 250 kawi sherpa dual sport which made the test really easy. Then when werent on the bikes we made fun of our instructor because even though it was almost 80 on the first day of the class he left his big 3/4 helmet on all day and kept complaining he couldn't hear us and the only i he was on a bike all day was when he rode his bright blue gold wing in drinking his coffee.

i was thinking about taking one of the advanced courses this year but don't have the time since i work every weekend you can never be too good of a rider in my book.

telecast
06-02-2010, 11:58 AM
I've never taken it. I got my cycle endorsement about a year after my car license, which would've been 1974. I wanted to get it right away but mom and dad thought it'd be better if I got some time driving in traffic before I jumped on a bike. Probably a wise move.

Took the written test and passed. Road test was me leaving the SOS parking lot, riding one block at a high rate of speed to a panic stop at a stop sign (this was on a city street with a 25 MPH limit, but she told me to, so I did). Turn left into another parking lot, turn around, and come back to point A. That was it.

I rode my bike up to take the test, no one ever asked how I got it there.

I had about 7 or 8 years of riding before the test. In thinking back, I can't imagine someone with no experience at all just hopping on a bike, passing the test, and being turned loose on the roads.

I have no idea when the MSF course became a requirement because I've kept my endorsement the entire time, but it's a damn good idea. I may take it someday for shits-n-giggles.

Mudpuppy
06-02-2010, 02:10 PM
ya i had a buddy that just tried taking the test and he failed it 3 times then they made him take the course. when i took the course last year i had a good time but all the people in my group were decent riders and i had never rode anything besides my little honda spree. but your right there were some assholes out there just messing around and one instructor failed about half his group before the first day of riding was over. I thought the bikes we had were nice for a 25 dollar class. i had an 05 nighthawk 250 for most of the class then took the test on a 250 kawi sherpa dual sport which made the test really easy. Then when werent on the bikes we made fun of our instructor because even though it was almost 80 on the first day of the class he left his big 3/4 helmet on all day and kept complaining he couldn't hear us and the only i he was on a bike all day was when he rode his bright blue gold wing in drinking his coffee.

i was thinking about taking one of the advanced courses this year but don't have the time since i work every weekend you can never be too good of a rider in my book.

yep i agree you can never be too good.. that's why i like the track so much.. it definitely hones your skills and makes you a far better rider..

RoadZombie
06-02-2010, 05:56 PM
I have no idea when the MSF course became a requirement...

To the best of my knowledge, it isn't required. They just do the state mandated road test at the end so you get that out of the way at the same time. Most places will charge at LEAST $25 just for the road test...on YOUR bike. I think that's why the MSF course is so popular. Not only do you get your road test out of the way, but you get some instruction as well. To top it off, if you dump...it ain't your bike.

junkyardjon
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
i asked about just the road test but nope... gotta stay all 3 days. i'm bringing popcorn still LOL. the SOS don't do road test here but they give you a list of schools.

Mudpuppy
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
yeah its all independent now

Gas Man
06-04-2010, 08:34 PM
You can go to Biker Bobs. Take the test there with their Buell Blast, rented for $30.

Testing info:

Below is a link of testing places. It has be for a "M" for MC testing.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/TPT_listings-_Detroit_Metro_TPT-031A_3-24-08_228937_7.pdf (http://www.michigan.gov/documents/sos/TPT_listings-_Detroit_Metro_TPT-031A_3-24-08_228937_7.pdf)

the one at Biker Bobs is still a good place to go. It is actually Richard Blanzy Testing 313-565-6656 $30
Mon & Thur 5:15pm
Appt only (can call the day before)

junkyardjon
06-05-2010, 12:43 AM
wish i knew that before LOL. so they do just the riding test if thats all you want? i started to night and doing the riding part tomorrow in the rain. i'm use to the rain so that shouldn't be a problem

Bob
06-05-2010, 07:36 AM
wish i knew that before LOL. so they do just the riding test if thats all you want? i started to night and doing the riding part tomorrow in the rain. i'm use to the rain so that shouldn't be a problem

Yeah and it takes like 2 minutes if you go that route. LOL We were at BB's one day when they were testing and it was like 2 minutes per person to finish the test. So if you just need the test I'd look for someone that only does the test like that.

junkyardjon
06-07-2010, 12:07 AM
MSF is badass

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/July2007019.jpg

thats the bike i rode, cool little bike LOL. i was eyeing them for parts i could use on my 750 LOL. now i'm thinking of getting one for around town/play bike