PDA

View Full Version : sideways license plate

ziek
04-29-2010, 12:22 PM
I know they are illegal, but have cops messed with any of you guys for having them? I know you guys with sport bike get it all the time but what about you cruiser/chopper/bobber guys?

Mudpuppy
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM
i don't have one but i know other people that have received improper tag display tickets.. my rule of thumb never give the leos any reason to f'k with you..

chopsmitty
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Never any problem 3 years now.

RoadZombie
04-29-2010, 03:09 PM
I'll let ya know. Planning to do this on the Deuce.

horrorbusiness
04-29-2010, 03:10 PM
My friend has his plate sideways. We have been stopped for dot helmet checks and cy. endorsment checks and not one word about the plate.

Gas Man
04-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Do you mean on the side of the bike? Which is OEM on many bikes as shown above, all DOT legal.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Nightster/NewNew005.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Plate/Chopper031.jpg

Or

Do you mean vertical? Like this?
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/BDM/Plate/levelshot008a.jpg

Cause vertical is illegal. Sometimes it could be like Mud says and be a problem. However, sometimes, its a small fix it ticket that the cop gives you instead of the speeding ticket...

RedneckMedic
04-29-2010, 07:48 PM
i havent had any problems with mine or with a dot helmet ive had few cops tell me they like my bike at a stop sign but never any problems

wango
04-30-2010, 07:51 AM
Thanks for posting this. I didn't know it was illegal. I just built a vertical mount for the bike my 15 year old and I are working on, I guess I'll rework it. When he starts riding it he won't need any reasons for the po po to pull him over. Of course for the first year or so, he'll be riding only when I'm next to him.

NinjaGirl
04-30-2010, 10:43 AM
My friend has his plate sideways. We have been stopped for dot helmet checks and cy. endorsment checks and not one word about the plate.

So wait...since I'm new to all of this and all, will cops just pull you over to check helmets and licenses?? That's crap.

metrogtiguy
04-30-2010, 01:19 PM
I have never been pulled over on my bike for anything :) Maybe I'm lucky, or they just didn't wanna try to catch up? >=)

RedneckMedic
04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
just remember you can get the rotating one a lot of guys in other states use them to pass inspection.

heres the link for it Roto Plate (http://www.topdownproducts.com/html/roto-plate.html)

wango
04-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Been riding 20 years and never been stopped, knock on wood.

horrorbusiness
04-30-2010, 03:01 PM
So wait...since I'm new to all of this and all, will cops just pull you over to check helmets and licenses?? That's crap.
if you don't want to get pulled over for silly stuff stay out of the grosse pointes. Jefferson is a beautifull ride but they have nothing to do but check for things like if your helmet d.o.t. and you have an endorsment.

junkyardjon
04-30-2010, 08:04 PM
they don't need a reason, they'll lie and say something is wrong, broke, malfunctioning and so on

vortech302
04-30-2010, 08:59 PM
if you don't want to get pulled over for silly stuff stay out of the grosse pointes. Jefferson is a beautifull ride but they have nothing to do but check for things like if your helmet d.o.t. and you have an endorsment.

I'd also avoid Wyandotte (no offense Bob :D)

snofrog
04-30-2010, 10:42 PM
chelse sp? it seems like the cops are just begging to pull me over there . I even had one tailgate me at about 8-10 feet to get me to run/speed . as soon as I slid over to the side of the road and waved him on he did a 180 and went back into town ...fkr

Frankenhippie
05-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Been pulled over for helmet check before. Also got pulled over in Brownstown before cuz of my buddy's apehangers (too much distance between the top of the bars and the seat). The fun part was... apparantly it was a slow day because FOUR patrol cars showed up for 2 bikes being pulled over. Each one of the cops had to come over, check the same stuff (license, tags, helmet, etc) before they let us go... and yes, my buddy got a ticket.

Like others have said, why give them an excuse to pull you over?

On the flip side, I've had cops make comments about my bike at lights before too. Just like everyone else, some people are cool and personable... others need a serious adjustment. LOL

Bob
05-15-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm running a side plate this year. We'll see how it goes.