PDA

View Full Version : Man, was I wr...wro...wron...

telecast
04-21-2010, 08:19 AM
WRONG.

There, I said it.

I was anticipating a shortage of new bikes this year based on projected manufacturing info from HD, Yam, Honda, et al. That would've driven the used market up a bit. Just the opposite happened, it's a buyer's market with tons of bikes out there.

Adding up posts in CL from Detroit, Monroe, Toledo, and Ann Arbor, there were nearly 500 new ads on Sunday alone. Of course those include parts, clothes, scooters, minibikes, etc, but still, that's a lot of ads. Most of them, around 350, were in Detroit. An ad posted on Detroit CL in the morning would've been 3-1/2 pages down by the end of the day.

If manufacturers cut production like they said they were going to it sure hasn't affected the used market. Most of this is the economy, especially around here. The toys must go first when you need money. What's weird is how many new bikes are still being sold.

Mudpuppy
04-21-2010, 09:50 AM
Interesting..

I am itching to buy a new bike but it's hard working 4 days with a 25% pay cut..

Rider
04-21-2010, 10:52 AM
I see used bikes all over the place. Strong buyers market for used bikes.

telecast
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Interesting..

I am itching to buy a new bike but it's hard working 4 days with a 25% pay cut..

I feel for ya. I went through that two winters ago, worked 4 days a week from Feb through April. It was an eye opener, you definitely learn what you can do without.

As of now I'm relatively safe until the end of November. After that I have no assignments, might be the end for me.

Mudpuppy
04-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah I am teetering as well.. on the contract side they have eliminated my product line but because i still have strong sales they are leaving my side alone - but for how long i don't know? and with zero support it's not easy to get anything done.. so the future is a big question.. and a new bike is not high on the priority list.. especially not for my wife.. she is gung ho for another kid.. i am already overwhelmed with the 4 we have especially considering the circumstances..

i know the used car market is struggling right now.. at least the people i have talked to..

seems like people just aren't spending money - which makes sense.. when everything is in question why would you just frivolously spend money?

and the creditors are bitching because people aren't racking up credit card debt like they were.. before it was people are living beyond their means and now it's the opposite..

so they constantly bombard us with stupid statements like the recession is over, the stimulus package is working, blah blah blah - it's all lies to try and manipulate people into spending..

telecast
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM
she is gung ho for another kid.. i am already overwhelmed with the 4 we have

You haven't figured out yet what's causing them? :p

so they constantly bombard us with stupid statements like the recession is over, the stimulus package is working, blah blah blah - it's all lies to try and manipulate people into spending..

Agreed. The short answer is though, they're right. People need to start buying stuff. The whole damned thing at this point is about 'stuff'. Kind of ironic that the cause is also the cure.

So by all means everyone should go out and acquire some stuff. It doesn't matter what stuff you buy. Big items, small items, clothes, a new bike, a beer, two goldfish, whatever.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not spending any more (well, much more) than I need to either. But then again if it all goes to hell and I lose my job a couple of thousand $ isn't going to make much difference one way or the other, and it sure as hell won't save me. It would keep the wolves at bay for a few weeks and that's about it. I've decided to enjoy the summer, not go crazy but not pinch every dime either. Have some fun, might be the last chance for a while.

Mudpuppy
04-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Yes I have a very good understanding of what causes them.. lol.. That is another case where the cause is the cure..

Yes good philosophy and I agree - even if you scrimp every penny if the bottom falls out we are in dire straights, i.e. phucked, either way.. a little bit of money will just hold off the inevitable and breed regret that while you had money you didn't enjoy it.. because it goes from a precious commodity to have to an endangered species about to go extinct..

RoadZombie
04-21-2010, 03:18 PM
Interesting..

I hear that. Our production crew has been on a regular 4 day week for over a year now and our last cost of living raise was...$0.10/hr, after 2 years of a pay freeze. Luckily, my position has afforded me the benefit of retaining my 5 day week for the most part. On the bright side, it looks like we're starting to get an upswing in sales. Last check we were at 375-ish units on order for the next 6 months opposed to the 160's we were looking at the same time last year. The last couple weeks the line worked full 5 day weeks, so we are seeing a light at the end of the tunnel here...even if it is dim.

telecast
04-21-2010, 03:29 PM
a little bit of money will just hold off the inevitable and breed regret that while you had money you didn't enjoy it.. because it goes from a precious commodity to have to an endangered species about to go extinct..

My regret will come after we've gone through our life savings trying to keep the house, lose it anyway, and I end up spending my 'golden years' as a greeter at Walmart.....

Road: Glad it's looking up for you. Generally, I think things are starting a slow turnaround. Some of us will be about 2 years behind the curve, that's the part that has me skeert....

Mudpuppy
04-21-2010, 05:00 PM
yes that would suck.. welcome to walmart please shop here more often and help further destroy this country.. thank you come again..

RoadZombie
04-21-2010, 08:09 PM
Road: Glad it's looking up for you. Generally, I think things are starting a slow turnaround. Some of us will be about 2 years behind the curve, that's the part that has me skeert....

Know how that is. Used to work construction and they were always "behind the curve"...last to be affected but last to "catch up" when the pendulum swings the other way. The odd part is, a large percentage of our customer base is the construction industry.

Talking to the truckers that pick up and drop off, they're all saying that they're starting to get busy...which is definitely a good sign.

Gas Man
04-21-2010, 10:25 PM
Obvoiusly there is a big used market... peeps don't have jobs and have to cut extras...

Mudpuppy
04-22-2010, 10:42 AM
i have noticed too that previously in the good market when i went to autozone or murrays or whatever i never waited in line.. now there is always a line and the places are packed.. seems like everyone is fixing their cars now.. i have always done this so i like to welcome the bozos to the club..

NinjaGirl
04-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I work for a construction company, a big one, and we haven't seen anything really turn around here yet. Were down to the stems and seeds as far as people go and it's still a weekly occurance that someone gets laid off. We just sold our equipment in the yard the past two weeks. Were all on pins and needles waiting to see what will happen. It's so stressful.

telecast
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
NinjaGirl, who do you work for?

NinjaGirl
04-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Skanska

SportstersPaul
04-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Been laid off fifteen months now, if it wasn't for the strong desire to eat on occaision this could grow on you!

Mudpuppy
04-22-2010, 03:03 PM
I work for a construction company, a big one, and we haven't seen anything really turn around here yet. Were down to the stems and seeds as far as people go and it's still a weekly occurance that someone gets laid off. We just sold our equipment in the yard the past two weeks. Were all on pins and needles waiting to see what will happen. It's so stressful.

i like that analogy - seeds and stems.. same deal here.. down to a skeleton crew and can't get anything done unless you do it yourself.. it's like the mfr on monty python's holy grail when his legs and arms are chopped off but he is still fighting - it's a flesh wound..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKhEw7nD9C4

RoadZombie
04-22-2010, 04:09 PM
Been laid off fifteen months now, if it wasn't for the strong desire to eat on occaision this could grow on you!

I was laid off once for 6 months. I was ready to go back to work probably after the 2nd week. Dunno how people do it...wish I could!

RoadZombie
04-22-2010, 04:12 PM
i like that analogy - seeds and stems.. same deal here.. down to a skeleton crew and can't get anything done unless you do it yourself.. it's like the mfr on monty python's holy grail when his legs and arms are chopped off but he is still fighting - it's a flesh wound..

Amen MP! Comes with being someone who is driven though. 90% of the guys I oversee basically believe that as long as they show up, that's all they need to do...and if something is outside their assigned work area, it's not their problem. ...then there is me. If I was spread any thinner, I'd be transparent.

Mudpuppy
04-24-2010, 11:41 AM
i hear you.. i am still plugging away myself..