PDA

View Full Version : I hate digging!!!

Gas Man
04-21-2010, 01:49 AM
So last fall I noticed the sump pump was spitting out the over flow spout... a little more than I remember... hmmmm

This past winter, it was completely spitting out... made an icey mess in the backyard. But couldn't do shit about it with frozen ground.

So this is what I removed. The 22.5/45 elbows had tons of calcium build up inside... stopping the flow of water. Also, stupid Sked 30 thin crap!!

Oh and classic dinner when working hard.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/House/SumpPump006.jpg

I hate digging... I think I mentioned that... especially in clay!
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/House/SumpPump001.jpg
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/House/SumpPump002.jpg

My new sked 40 thicker job is much better. Even added a full 3" clean out in line as well. All of which will be just barely barried.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/House/SumpPump004.jpg

The new crazy elbows... can't see it anymore, but there is a 30 to 40 bushing on the old pipe... going downward at a 45* angle downward into the neighbors yard and the larger storm drain...

Of coarse we tested the downward 45* to ensure good flow. Installed it all and test it as well.

3' deep
17' long
$45 in PVC
The joys of home ownership.
I still hate digging.

alhall88
04-21-2010, 04:46 AM
I have to do the same thing this spring, but I have to run 263 ft to the ditch and hand dig under a walkway. I will rent a ditch witch for the long run.

RedneckMedic
04-21-2010, 10:21 AM
i know what you mean i hate digging but the one thing i hate even more is trimming hedges because then you have all of the little clippings left over that are almost impossible to pick up but still im with you on i hate digging.

Mudpuppy
04-21-2010, 10:48 AM
digging sucks..

i recommend cutting back on the fiber in your diet and you won't clog that bad boy up..

personally i would have used schedule 80 but sounds like you enjoy digging..

Rider
04-21-2010, 11:51 AM
You didn't tie your downspout into the drain?

telecast
04-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Why'd you put the overflow back in?

Mudpuppy
04-21-2010, 12:57 PM
is that to code? did you pull a permit?

jesus chris.. get your act together over there.. quit eating all those fiber bars and taking monster dumps and putting in shoddy not to code plumbing.. the fate of the world, or at least your immediate surrounding area, rests in your incapable hands..

RoadZombie
04-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Better to have a flooded backyard than a flooded basement would be my guess.

I'm planning on putting in a brick paver walkway here pretty soon. I only need to cut sod and dig down maybe 6 inches, which I am also not looking forward to either. Digging blows.

telecast
04-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Better to have a flooded backyard than a flooded basement would be my guess.

That's why they make check valves. There should be a check valve on the line close to the pump. That also stops water that you already pumped from running backwards and having to pump it again. Saves electricity and wear and tear on the pump.

Unless there's some specific reason to have it, like the line will airlock if not vented, I'd install a check valve and cap that thing.

Mudpuppy
04-21-2010, 06:01 PM
or better yet like my house you just don't need a sump pump.. mental note - always check the basement when buying a house - any hint of water damage walk away..

Gas Man
04-21-2010, 11:20 PM
I have to do the same thing this spring, but I have to run 263 ft to the ditch and hand dig under a walkway. I will rent a ditch witch for the long run.

Sucks... ditch witches are cool though, work well.

i know what you mean i hate digging but the one thing i hate even more is trimming hedges because then you have all of the little clippings left over that are almost impossible to pick up but still im with you on i hate digging.

Lay down a tarp before you trim... catches all your droppings.

digging sucks..

i recommend cutting back on the fiber in your diet and you won't clog that bad boy up..

personally i would have used schedule 80 but sounds like you enjoy digging..

Wrong type of drain line.

shit the sked 30 lasted this long and would have lasted longer... it still would have, it maybe could have been power snaked out as long as the power snake didn't break the thin as sked 30 pvc.

Just as RZ said, you have to. If it clogs you want the water to go SOMEWHERE!

That's why they make check valves. There should be a check valve on the line close to the pump. That also stops water that you already pumped from running backwards and having to pump it again. Saves electricity and wear and tear on the pump.

Unless there's some specific reason to have it, like the line will airlock if not vented, I'd install a check valve and cap that thing.

Oh yeah, have the check valve in the basement.

And no permit. They can lick my sac! I don't pull permits for nothing unless they will see it. I did for my siding but that's it. F them!

telecast
04-21-2010, 11:26 PM
Just as RZ said, you have to. If it clogs you want the water to go SOMEWHERE!

Ok, ummm...

Q. Your sump pump picks up whater from where?

A. Around the foundation.

Q. The overflow spills out by what?

A The foundation.

Q. So, the water is going to seep down through the ground and get pumped out by the sump pump?

A. Yes

You don't need the overflow, you don't even want it. Cap it off. You installed a cleanout, you have the check valve.

At least install a threaded plug on it and plug it.

Gas Man
04-22-2010, 12:38 AM
But it would defeat the purpose. If the sewer line stops up where will my sump pump discharge to?

That's the whole point. Before the fix it was doing what its suppose to.

Granted, yes, its not a great place for discharge in that what if. But it still serves a purpose.

telecast
04-22-2010, 08:34 AM
Is the line going into the sanitary sewer or a storm drain?

Mudpuppy
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
this is fun.. chris should post more things like this so we can all pile on..

i agree on the permits.. they are bs..

Gas Man
04-22-2010, 02:43 PM
Is the line going into the sanitary sewer or a storm drain?
Storm...

Glad you havin fun Mud.

RoadZombie
04-22-2010, 05:15 PM
If the main line to the storm drain clogs, without an overflow, there'd be nowhere to pump the water out. Not the best case scenario, but at least it's pumping water out that way.

Gas Man
04-22-2010, 11:05 PM
If the main line to the storm drain clogs, without an overflow, there'd be nowhere to pump the water out. Not the best case scenario, but at least it's pumping water out that way.
Exactly! Otherwise your sump pump would pump against a back up aka high pressure. Somethings going to give!

telecast
04-23-2010, 08:28 AM
The storm will give. It operates on atmospheric pressure, which is lower than pump pressure. Unless there's a complete blockage between you and the first manhole or catch basin the pump will easily overcome a pipe full of water.

Bob
04-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I hate digging too. Our garage used to flood BAD every time it rained. Like I'd open the garage door and a wall of water would come pouring out. I ended up digging a french drain along the back of the garage to stop the flooding.

Chris300s
04-23-2010, 07:55 PM
I'll pile on. Pizza Hut sucks!
Seriously though, I feel your pain. I had to help a friend replace his french drain around the perimeter of the basement. That sucked. The new pipe has to give you some piece of mind though.

Chris

Mad Dog
04-23-2010, 08:13 PM
Got any room for a body or two down there?:eek:

Gas Man
04-24-2010, 07:32 AM
The storm will give. It operates on atmospheric pressure, which is lower than pump pressure. Unless there's a complete blockage between you and the first manhole or catch basin the pump will easily overcome a pipe full of water.

Exactly... I was referring to a failure somewhere causing a back up. Not the water being full in the pipe.

I'll pile on. Pizza Hut sucks!
Seriously though, I feel your pain. I had to help a friend replace his french drain around the perimeter of the basement. That sucked. The new pipe has to give you some piece of mind though.

Chris

Hey I have never had a pizza I didn't like. That was the first time I had Pizza Slut in a while... it was good.

Got any room for a body or two down there?:eek:

Nope... barely enough room for the dirt that came out. Watering it down, stomp, water, stomp, settle, repeat. Its a muddy process at this point.

wango
04-25-2010, 11:04 AM
And the lesson learned.

Posting pics of home improvement projects will get you more advice and more opinions than asking whether or not to keep the shocks or go hardtail..... lol.

I love it.

P.S. your overflow should have been a little bigger. lmao

Gas Man
04-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah no doubt wango on the opinions a flowin like my new pvc line does.