PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Direct TV?

Bob
04-18-2010, 10:36 PM
We've never had Satellite before and every year we try and save money on our cable bill by shopping around. So far I've went to AT&T and they can't come close to matching what we have with WOW right now but Direct TV can. However I've never dealt with satellite before.

Gas Man
04-19-2010, 12:06 AM
I have comcast... cost me a mint each month. But I have so many services and options. U-verse is about the same price but not in the area anyway. WOW is not here either! Sucks!

But I will never go satellite...

I just wish that 5 PC wireless sprint thing was faster... I'd contiplate ditching it all.

zamochit
04-19-2010, 12:58 AM
I had direct for awhile and hated it. Every time it rains that thing went out. My boss said a few weeks ago it was out the entire week for him. I have comcast nw and love it.

RedneckMedic
04-19-2010, 01:45 AM
we love our u verse because it is phone cable and internet all in one and for more wow at&t and wow are all basically the same service just dif set up of the guide and channel numbers and things like that but our internet is fast as hell. sant soment on the direct though but zam said havent hear too much great about it.

alhall88
04-19-2010, 04:58 AM
I have direct tv and I was worried about the rain thing as well like people have stated but its rained many times and I never once lost service, maybe it's my location. The one thing I like that you get with direct that other cable providers don't is the 5 channel surround sound. Cable only gives you this on the movie and premium channels and I have it almost every channel. But price is another thing, it's not cheap but I still think it's comparable to cable. The thing to watch with direct is the lower price you get the first year but the second year goes up.

telecast
04-19-2010, 08:34 AM
We use Dish Network. Signal loss is extremely rare like when there's a monsoon coming, and it short lived, usually a few minutes. We've never lost a signal from snow including snow on the dish. I've called Comcast several times and they can't even get close to the price.

Mudpuppy
04-19-2010, 11:10 AM
i had direct tv and it was way more expensive than WOW or Comcast. I prefer WOW because I hate Comcast but I got a better deal from Comcast (free HD and free Netbook) so I switched last September.. i also had dish network and i found that was way better than direct tv.. i prefer satellite over cable but then i have the phone / internet issue.. so if you just want tv then satellite is ok but if you are bundling i would recommend shopping WOW and Comcast for the best deal.. they are good at dropping their pants - just make sure you understand no matter who you go with how long your initial price is good for and what it goes up to after "x" amount of time and if you are in a contract or not.. those are the important things.. i had to pay direct tv $75 to get out of the contract but saved that in 2 months with WOW so didn't care.. Comcast i am locked in for 2 years because of the specifics of the deal.. then I am going back to WOW..

Bob
04-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Well, after shopping around nobody can come close to beating WOW so we're sticking with it.

RoadZombie
04-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Have DirecTV...love it. Cheaper than Comcast, better picture and audio quality, more channels, and have actually had LESS outages with the DBS than I had with cable.

Mudpuppy
04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Yeah I had satellite for about 5 years and only lost a signal 1 time for 15 minutes during a monsoon. Had comcast before that and lost the signal 6 times with no bad weather in 1 month. Have had major problems with cable. Lately its been ok but still get partial blips every now and again.

Chain
04-20-2010, 02:15 PM
I have direct tv and I was worried about the rain thing as well like people have stated but its rained many times and I never once lost service, maybe it's my location. The one thing I like that you get with direct that other cable providers don't is the 5 channel surround sound. Cable only gives you this on the movie and premium channels and I have it almost every channel. But price is another thing, it's not cheap but I still think it's comparable to cable. The thing to watch with direct is the lower price you get the first year but the second year goes up.

Only problem I've had was when it was a torrential down poor, been a customer for 15 years and have lost service a hand full of times for seconds at best....

Rider
04-20-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't have Direst TV but I do have Dish(for now). Signal quality is great. Much better than Comcast and it's cheaper. I've only lost a signal twice in 4+ years and both times in was for less than a minute. I am switching my service to UVerse next month. That is even cheaper than Dish. Right now I am paying $190/mo for Phone, Internet, and TV. With UVerse I will be down to $154 for all 3 with about 50 more channels and plus Speed channel is in HD. :D

Mudpuppy
04-20-2010, 06:04 PM
that is my problem with it - I was paying $175 for direct tv with at&t dsl and at&t phone.. now I pay $99 and have way more than i had before..

Bob
04-20-2010, 06:14 PM
We are paying $104 for WOW and that includes all of the HD channels, Starz and Encore. That's what is so hard to beat I think.

Gas Man
04-21-2010, 12:31 AM
I pay $175 for 2 HD Dual DVRs, 3 digital adapter boxes, 6mb internet, phone, HBO.

I could care less about the home phone... I try to drop it all the time to lower my bill but there are no decent plans without it.

Bob
04-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I pay $175 for 2 HD Dual DVRs, 3 digital adapter boxes, 6mb internet, phone, HBO.

I could care less about the home phone... I try to drop it all the time to lower my bill but there are no decent plans without it.

Yeah, ours includes the 8mb internet too.