PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Mackinaw

wango
04-17-2010, 09:05 PM
I want to take a U.P. trip this summer but I can't talk the wife into crossing the bridge. If I can get her to go I'll probably have to get a cab ride back and bring her bike across for her. I've crossed it a couple times, its a blast.

Anybody planning any trips up there?

RoadZombie
04-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Thinking about it. Haven't been over the bridge since I was...3 or so. Definitely a good possibility!

Gas Man
04-17-2010, 09:59 PM
I'm in about the same position. I have plans to cross it this summer. August. Will be up that way at FIL's in Alba. Going to go up just for kicks.

snofrog
04-17-2010, 10:24 PM
do yourself a favor and use the right lane . the left lane on a bike can give you vertigo and its a bitch to ride on that grating :D

Mudpuppy
04-17-2010, 10:48 PM
i heard they raised the rates on the bridge due to not making enough revenue.. also the other problem i have with the bridge is they are always working on it except 1 weekend which is the marathon weekend where you can't ride or drive on it.. but i still want to cross it on the bike sometime.. no plans in the immediate future.. i was up there a couple of summers ago, but not on the bike..

wango
04-17-2010, 11:55 PM
do yourself a favor and use the right lane . the left lane on a bike can give you vertigo and its a bitch to ride on that grating :D

The last time I crossed, the right lane was closed for maintenance and I had to take the grate.

An old biker told me to just let the bike "do what it wants to, don't fight it" ----truer words were never spoken.

The only thing I could add to that is just go slow. There are expansion joints (six I think) I hit them at a slight angle and "let the bike do what it wants" and it tracks through just fine, those gaps look huge when your on a bike, but its not that bad.

Really the first time, just take it easy and its a walk in the park. I'm sure the guys that live up there haul ass across, but take your time and enjoy the view. Last time I was on it the sun was setting it was beautiful up there.

Any guys that live near the big mack have any advice/tips for us southern trolls?

snofrog
04-18-2010, 12:06 AM
The last time I crossed, the right lane was closed for maintenance and I had to take the grate.

An old biker told me to just let the bike "do what it wants to, don't fight it" ----truer words were never spoken.

?

I relax mostly but when it starts sidetracking I get this little star shaped pucker mark on my seat :confused: why is that :rolleyes:

horrorbusiness
04-18-2010, 03:01 AM
I've done alot of florida ride'n(shitton of drawbridges) and the ole guy is right just let the bike wander around.

Trainguy
04-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Wango's got the best advice. I went across it several times last summer on my Big Dog K-9. Thought it was the 108" wheel base plus the fat tire (300) skinny tire combo that the grating was not liking:eek: but it was just the grating. My Butt cheeks were puckered:cool:

Bob
04-18-2010, 08:02 AM
They actually have people that will drive cars and bikes across for you if people are too scared to cross the bridge.

Can you provide information about riding motorcycles across the Mackinac Bridge?
Answer:
Motorcycles are allowed to cross the Mackinac Bridge. The fare for a motorcycle is $3.00 per crossing. Extra axles and/or sidecars on motorcycles are $1.50 each. Some motorcyclists are not comfortable about driving on the steel grating (inside lane) of the suspended portion of the bridge. If you are uncomfortable with driving your motorcycle across the bridge, arrangements can be made to have someone drive it for you.

NinjaGirl
04-18-2010, 08:14 AM
My parents live in the yoop so I'm crossing the bridge all the time, and I've thought about riding the bike over it everytime I cross. In a car I ride on the grate because being on the edge freaks me out. So I've been forcing myself to drive in the right lane to get over that fear just so I can take the bike over. Because there isn't any way in HELL I'm riding the bike on the grate and anyone that does is balls!!! :D

wango
04-18-2010, 09:23 AM
If you are uncomfortable with driving your motorcycle across the bridge, arrangements can be made to have someone drive it for you.

I don't know what would make me more uncomfortable. Driving my bike across in a hurricane, or letting someone I didn't know drive it across. That would be cause for some serious pucker.

Bob
04-18-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't know what would make me more uncomfortable. Driving my bike across in a hurricane, or letting someone I didn't know drive it across. That would be cause for some serious pucker.

LOL I know what you mean. But I know these guys do it several times a day so I think you'd be good.

RoadZombie
04-18-2010, 09:41 AM
LoL I've got the 21" rubberband tire up front. "Just letting the bike do what it wants" is a given. Been over a few grated bridges...I much prefer them to when the reoad crews strip pavement on the expressway. You kind of find a "pattern" on grating...stripped pavement, not so much.

That said, I'm fine with heights (got pretty familiar with them at my last job)...so, not really worried about it at all. Just another "learning experience" in my book.

telecast
04-18-2010, 09:57 AM
Tell her she can do it. Stay on the pavement and you ride the outside, let her have the inside away from the railing. Tell her not to look down!

RoadZombie
04-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Not looking down ruins half the fun! =-P

wango
04-18-2010, 04:07 PM
I'll probably just pull over in Mackinaw city and have her get on my bike with me, take her across and get to feel what its like. She can make up her mind then, if she doesn't want to, I'll just grab a cab and go back for her bike.

vortech302
04-18-2010, 09:17 PM
It's funny you posted this, someone at work was just telling me about the "Tunnel of Trees", and I thought it would be cool to ride there then cross the bridge and ride through the UP and back.

Chris300s
04-18-2010, 09:33 PM
Tip #1: Take your balls out of your girls purse
Tip# 2: Ride that bitch over the bridge

There's no big mystery. It's no worse than grooved pavement in a construction zone or windier than riding on the West coast of the state. One of the coolest things that I've ever seen riding was looking down in the right lane at a sailboat beneath me! It was freakin' awesome!.

Chris

Gas Man
04-18-2010, 11:04 PM

There's no big mystery. It's no worse than grooved pavement in a construction zone or windier than riding on the West coast of the state. One of the coolest things that I've ever seen riding was looking down in the right lane at a sailboat beneath me! It was freakin' awesome!.

Chris
Must be a Chris thing cause I was thinking the same thing. I'm riding that bitch down the inside lane on the grate. I will brew a cup of coffee and balance my check book while doing so just to prove my nuts are brass.

FTW

zamochit
04-18-2010, 11:48 PM
I plan to cross this summer on the way to Stinsons Gone Wild up in Paradise. Its a little get together of bikers during the Blueberry Festival, forget the date.

Gas Man
04-18-2010, 11:48 PM
Let us know... I'm always lookin for good weekend runs.

wango
04-18-2010, 11:54 PM
It's funny you posted this, someone at work was just telling me about the "Tunnel of Trees", and I thought it would be cool to ride there then cross the bridge and ride through the UP and back.

I've never ridden the tunnel of trees but I plan to this summer on the way to the bridge. I was thinking of taking the Lake Michigan shoreline up to the bridge ride to Paradise/Whitefish Pt/Taquehemon Falls and come home down the Lake Huron side.

wango
04-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Chris

Who ya flappin at?

telecast
04-19-2010, 07:41 AM
I've never ridden the tunnel of trees but I plan to this summer on the way to the bridge. I was thinking of taking the Lake Michigan shoreline up to the bridge ride to Paradise/Whitefish Pt/Taquehemon Falls and come home down the Lake Huron side.

Add a full day to the ride. Once you get over the bridge head west on US2 about 2 hours to Manistique, this will take you in and out of the the Sault Ste Marie State Forest and along the northern shore of Lake MI. In Manistique go north on M94 to Munising to check out Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, That route takes you through the Hiawatha National Forest. Then, head back east to the Whitefish Bay area. Make sure to check out the Whitefish Point Shipwreck Museum.

That part of the UP is narrow, it's only about 45 minutes from Manistique to Munising.

One day I want to ride to the west half and check out the Porcupine Mts. and Lake of the Clouds.

Gas Man
04-19-2010, 07:49 AM
That sounds great Tele!

wango
04-19-2010, 09:23 AM
My brother and I have a deer camp on the west end in Watton, MI. We rode the porkies, Brockway Mtn/Copper Harbor, Hurley WI tour a couple years ago. It was a blast.
Plan an extra day to recover if you go to Hurley. lol

Mudpuppy
04-19-2010, 09:48 AM
My parents live in the yoop so I'm crossing the bridge all the time, and I've thought about riding the bike over it everytime I cross. In a car I ride on the grate because being on the edge freaks me out. So I've been forcing myself to drive in the right lane to get over that fear just so I can take the bike over. Because there isn't any way in HELL I'm riding the bike on the grate and anyone that does is balls!!! :D

that's the problem - every time i drive the bridge the right lane is closed for maintenance and the grating side is always open.. its like riding on grated asphalt - feels like the bike wants to wander everywhere.. like someone said back up there just go with it..

Gas Man
04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
I think it is worse for sportbikes. I remember grooved pavement playing hell on sportbikes with the steep rake. The cruisers have more rake and makes them more stable... especially on the grates or grooved pavement.

Chain
04-20-2010, 01:26 PM
The ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee is free for bikes the month of June (still have to buy a personal ticket) so were taking that across and will make the journey north threw the UP and down across the bridge. End of June. Been across a few times on the skoot!

Gas Man
04-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Well that is interesting....

Chain
04-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Actually it's May and June. Check it out!

http://www.lake-express.com/about/news_article.aspx?id=119