PDA

View Full Version : Half helmet rec.?

Chris300s
04-15-2010, 08:58 PM
Anyone have a recommendation for a half helmet? I've got a great Shoei full-face, and a Zox beanie that looks like a mushroom.
I just want something that I can wear when I'm blasting out to the bar downtown without looking like a Q-tip. I'm talking about a jeans & t-shirt run to DQ.

Thanks,
Chris

RedneckMedic
04-15-2010, 10:41 PM
The daytona lids are probably the smallest and come in a lot of dif styles

telecast
04-16-2010, 07:39 AM
No manufacturers recommendation here, I'm in the same boat. One thing I've learned is stay away from thermoplastic helmets, those are the biggest shells, or as my kid calls them, a bobblehead. The material isn't very strong so it requires a thicker lining. Then comes fiberglass, which is smaller and lighter. The smallest and lightest shells will be Kevlar, Carbon, or a combination. They're also a lot more money, maybe too much for a trip to DQ.

Gas Man
04-16-2010, 08:32 AM
I own 3 helmets for me.

1/2 Choko which I wear most of the time.
3/4 Daytona which I wear for long road trips for hearing protection vs ear plugs
full face modular nolan which I haven't wore in a long time.

All full DOT so I always have a big head. Bottom line is, if you really want the protection, you need the padding. PERIOD. If you have the proper padding, your helmet shell will be larger than you prefer for looks.

That being said... I do know that if you are say a XL head. You can buy a M DOT helmet, take out the cloth liner, hit the foam cells with a heat gun and as they melt they will shrink. Collapsing the cells is why they are shrinking. Do it enough and your XL head will fit inside that M. You won't look like a mushroom/bobble/qtip/whatever head. You killed the foam cells that were there to protect your squash but its still a DOT helmet.

telecast
04-16-2010, 08:33 AM
One I've ben looking at is the GMax GM55s. It's small, although they don't say what material it's made out of. One nice feature is a built-in half shield in case you want one, it's completely hidden when you don't. Nice feature if you get caught in the rain. Sells for about $75 and available in flat black, gloss black, or designs if that's what you want.

Here's a link to the one on JP's site, shows it with the shield up and down.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/136-577?N=0&Ntt=Gmax+GM55&Ntk=All&Ne=&fitment=1&brand=0&results=100&refinement_search=1

Gas Man
04-16-2010, 08:35 AM
That's a cool lookin helmet tele!!

telecast
04-16-2010, 08:36 AM
All full DOT so I always have a big head. Bottom line is, if you really want the protection, you need the padding. PERIOD. If you have the proper padding, your helmet shell will be larger than you prefer for looks.

Nah, all of the ones I mentioned above are full DOT approved. The amount of padding is based on the strength of the outer shell.

Rider
04-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Shoei is the only brand I've owned for street helmets and I can tell you they are great. I can't see going to any other brand right now. Well maybe Shark but I'm not sure they make half or 3/4 helmets so that might not work for you.

telecast
04-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Interesting. I found the Gmax about a mile away at Zack's Cycle in Milan. I'm going to go try one on when he opens, will report back.

telecast
04-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Ok, I bought one. Plain flat black. Nice helmet, small and light.

Before you ask, I bought the hidden shield version because my glasses are glass, not plastic. I needed something to stop a bouncing stone from taking out the lens.

Here's the one I bought last year, a Scorpion EXO100 with hidden shield. This was the first and only one that had the hidden shield last year, this year there are a few more, Gmax and HD to name two. The shield is spring loaded, push the tab and it pops down, or at least it did at first. Now it only pops down about halfway and you have to pull it the rest of the way. Push up on the shield and it locks in place with a spring latch. It comes with a removable visor and removable ear/neck flaps for cold weather. I really didn't like all the plastic trim and shit on this one but it was the only game in town.

http://www.helmetshop.com/PDGImages/5541.jpg

Her's the GMax. On this one you pull or push for the up and down. It locks up with a detent so less to go wrong. It's probably a half pound lighter than the Scorpion and about 3/4" narrower, doesn't sound like much until you put it on your head. It's also a lot shorter from top to bottom. It also comes with removable ear/neck flaps but no visor. Who cares.

http://cdn-7.psndealer.com/e2/dealersite/images/lindyssales/935-5073-flat-black300.jpg

Both come with a smoked shield. The Scorpion was $110 + $15 for a clear shield, the GMax was $75 + $17 for the clear shield. Both shields are pretty much invisible when up, only a small tab shows. Now that I have the overglasses from Don I won't need the shield for everyday, but since it's invisible when up it's a nice feature to have if I get caught in the rain.

RoadZombie
04-17-2010, 12:37 PM
I'm liking that GMax. It's almost as small as my novelty skid-lid, but DOT'd. I just might pick one up. I also have a DOT Daytona, but I call it my "Mushroom Tip"...pretty self explainitory. ;-) It was a 1/2, cheap, and available when I needed it...but I've always hated it. I might have to head down to Zack's as well to check it out.

telecast
04-17-2010, 12:45 PM
I bought the last large, he had a medium left but more coming in. He said they're selling pretty quick so call before you go. And let me know when you come down, we'll stop by the local microbrewery for a beer.

More than likely you can find them closer to home, I just called places until I found one locally.

RoadZombie
04-17-2010, 01:13 PM
I'll probably just wait until the next nice day and hop on the bike to be honest. At that point the farther away, the better. ;-)

RedneckMedic
04-17-2010, 02:31 PM
Nice review tele it looks like a really nice helmet

SportstersPaul
06-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Nice pick Tim, and I see that the Sporty is gone. To bad cause we have a run to Deals Gap at the end of June, you would have been a good fit! Could have brought your "Broken Chain Gang", ha,ha!

telecast
06-16-2010, 08:47 AM
I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am that thing is gone. If I ever do another Sporty, it sure as hell won't be a 2000 Standard. Something along the lines of a Nightster or the new 48 would be a better choice. That thing vibrated so bad the mirrors were useless after 40 MPH.

I'm afraid any extended trips are out for me. The job is still tenuous, and will be until the economy picks up. I get 20+ hours per month of paid time off, and I'm saving the hell out of it just in case. I can do a long weekend, but that's about it.

The way they've been cutting people around here I don't want anyone to get the idea they can do without me!

Thruxtonbill
06-16-2010, 10:07 AM
...... You want to look cool when you order that peanut buster parfait.

Chris300s
06-16-2010, 11:18 AM
In case anyone's wondering, I'm still looking for a decent skid lid that doesn't make me look like this

http://heystupid.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/dark_helmet_angry.jpg

The GMax looks good but that visor is taking up valuable padding space making the helmet bigger than it needs to be. With my pinhead I'd look like the Great Kazoo.

Gas Man
06-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Is it my work connection or is Chris' pic a red x?

telecast
06-16-2010, 12:10 PM
In case anyone's wondering, I'm still looking for a decent skid lid that doesn't make me look like this

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/c8a54b6fe010b42fd0a97a003e504790.jpg

Sorry, I've seen you. You're gonna' look like that regardless:D

The GMax looks good but that visor is taking up valuable padding space making the helmet bigger than it needs to be. With my pinhead I'd look like the Great Kazoo.

They have an identical helmet without the visor. Same size.

sabrina
11-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Wear what works for you. I have both and wear them for different situations and conditions.