PDA

View Full Version : Avon Venom review

Bob
04-15-2010, 07:30 PM
I took the bike for a short ride yesterday and I have to say that the Avon Venom's are like night and day over the stock Dunlops. I've always loved Avon Tyres on my cars but never used them on a bike. I'll for sure be trying to stick with them from now on. I really noticed a difference in handling. I was able to turn at high and low speeds soooo much easier. Felt much smoother as well. I think it's because they are designed more like a sport bike tire than a cruiser tire. From what I hear, because of their soft rubber, they won't last as long as the harder rubber tires but I think I'd rather trade longevity off for the handling.

zamochit
04-15-2010, 10:46 PM
I have these on my SPS. They look really good on the rim just sitting there;)

Mudpuppy
04-15-2010, 11:21 PM
what kind of bike Bob?

vortech302
04-16-2010, 07:56 AM
Which Dunlops did you have?

RoadZombie
04-16-2010, 04:33 PM
Talking to a guy I work with, he just put Avons on his Softail. The sales guy told him the Avons should actually last longer than the stock HD Dunlops. Personally, I'm probably going to go with the Avons as well. Not much more than the stock HD Dunlops, but just by looking at the tread pattern and figures...seems like a far superior tire. I think the difference between the two is like $50 for the set, so it's worth it IMO.

Bob
04-16-2010, 05:26 PM
It's on my Vulcan 800

Whatever Dunlops came stock. I forget now. They are the same ones HD uses too I think.

SportstersPaul
04-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Guys, I went to the Avon Venoms 8 years ago, never going back to the Dunlops although I here the Elite 3's are much better. Yes the Avons are softer, no the mileage is close to the same. Why? When I put new Avons on my bike sits about 1/2" higher from thicker tread. I also have learned that going to the "V" rated instead of the "H" rated gives me approx 1/4" wider, with no additional room left in the swingarm, and returns another 2-3,000 more miles per tire. This on a '06 1200R. More nuetral feel, can change lines in mid-corner with problem, and run in the wet as quick as the dry. They are NOT snow tires, oh well.