PDA

View Full Version : Running rich

Bob
04-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Ever since I put the custom pipes with 4" baffles I've seen some black smoke coming from my pipes. I'm guessing the bike is running too rich. Could the baffles be causing this? If so I'll just remove them.

horrorbusiness
04-08-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't have much backstory on your bike, but is it running rich or is it junk burning off the pipes/baffles ? If you think it's running rich find an open streach of road, make a run at WOT, shut'er down while wide open and have a look at the plugs.

RoadZombie
04-08-2010, 05:41 PM
Did you have the carb(s) jetted before the pipe swap? If they were jetted for a free-er flowing exhaust, it's possible. Where in the throttle range are you getting the black smoke? If you already have a jet kit, you could try dropping the needle jets down a slot too; i.e. move the C-clip from 3 slots from the top up to 2 slots from the top.

Hell, if the baffles aren't too hard to remove, pull 'em. If the smoke stops, ya found your problem ;-)

horrorbusiness
04-08-2010, 06:27 PM
My 2001 FB is injected, maybe his is too.

Bob
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Did you have the carb(s) jetted before the pipe swap? If they were jetted for a free-er flowing exhaust, it's possible. Where in the throttle range are you getting the black smoke? If you already have a jet kit, you could try dropping the needle jets down a slot too; i.e. move the C-clip from 3 slots from the top up to 2 slots from the top.

Hell, if the baffles aren't too hard to remove, pull 'em. If the smoke stops, ya found your problem ;-)

Well I rejetted the carb last year with the Hard Krome pipes on. Then I installed 2 straight pipes with a 4" baffle.

Bob
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
My 2001 FB is injected, maybe his is too.

No, it's carbed. It's a 2002 Vulcan Drifter 800.

Gas Man
04-08-2010, 11:11 PM
What do the plugs look like?
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/spkplghnbook.htm

RoadZombie
04-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Well I rejetted the carb last year with the Hard Krome pipes on. Then I installed 2 straight pipes with a 4" baffle.

Hmmm...I wonder how much backpressure those baffles add. It seems like you went to a free-er flowing pipe for the most part. If anything it should be running leaner unless the baffles are causing a big restriction.

telecast
04-09-2010, 09:30 AM
That's what I was thinkin'.

Bob
04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
Hmmm...I wonder how much backpressure those baffles add. It seems like you went to a free-er flowing pipe for the most part. If anything it should be running leaner unless the baffles are causing a big restriction.

Actually the Hard Kromes where straight through. These baffles capped it off a lot more than what it was.

Bob
04-09-2010, 05:44 PM
I'm going to take the baffles out tonight and see if that helps.

Bob
04-09-2010, 07:17 PM
I put new gas in today and took the baffles out. The biatch is loud but as soon as the baffles came out, no more black smoke. I think this weekend I might try and modify my filter housing as well and get some more air flowing.

junkyardjon
04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
or..... change the jet

Bob
04-10-2010, 12:13 PM
or..... change the jet

I messed with it last night. I took the filter out and it ran rough, put it back in and it smoothed out. I think I'm good to go now.

telecast
04-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I messed with it last night. I took the filter out and it ran rough, put it back in and it smoothed out. I think I'm good to go now.

Missing info? Sounds like you took it apart and put it back together just like it was and everything was ok? Did you clean the filter or do something else?

Bob
04-10-2010, 02:20 PM
Missing info? Sounds like you took it apart and put it back together just like it was and everything was ok? Did you clean the filter or do something else?

No, I just took the air cleaner off to see if more air helped and it made it worse. So after installing the filter back on it ran smooth with the baffles out as well. I was just playing with different combos. One day I'll have time to get it out on the road and see how it runs on the street.

Gas Man
04-11-2010, 12:03 AM
And why didn't you do that today Mister???

Bob
04-11-2010, 08:59 AM
And why didn't you do that today Mister???

Time, time, time.