PDA

View Full Version : Newbie from Novi

NinjaGirl
04-07-2010, 01:10 PM
Hey everyone! I'm new to the site and pretty new to riding. I started last summer and have a 2001 Ninja 250. I know, I know...it's barely a bike, but I'm new to all of this and at this point I think it's a good bike for me. The plan is to ride it for another summer and then I will move up to something bigger. I have my eyes on a Suzuki SV600 or a CBR600 F4i. We'll see, maybe it'll happen before the end of this summer.

Anyway...looking for riding buddies in southeast Michigan.

horrorbusiness
04-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Hi, welcome to The site.

telecast
04-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Welcome.

Barely a bike?

ANY bike is a good bike!

horrorbusiness
04-07-2010, 03:33 PM
:werd: I've been riding my whole life, I get a shit eating grin on a moped.

Mad Dog
04-07-2010, 03:51 PM
Welcome!

horrorbusiness
04-07-2010, 04:28 PM
:werd: I've been riding my whole life, I get a shit eating grin on a moped.

RoadZombie
04-07-2010, 04:36 PM
Hey, the Ninja 250 is hands down probably THE best first bike. Get your basics down and move on up ;-) Good choice on the SV650...sharp looking bike! Welcome to the site, neighbor. I'm in Wixom myself.

Mudpuppy
04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Welcome to the site.

I would NEVER be ashamed of any bike no matter size or make - its 2 wheels its all good.

I know a lot of great people that have started on a Ninja 250 or are still riding the Ninja 250.

We ride all over the state all the time.. best riding is the West Side Loop, of course.. but there are bike nights all over and various rides.. I am new(er) to this site so not sure how many people post up rides here and what kind of rides they are.. personally I will ride with anyone I don't care.. my philosphy is ride your own pace and within your own ability.. we have rides on the weekends with Harleys, sportbikes, race bikes, touring bikes.. doesn't matter what you ride really.. I am looking forward to riding with some people on here this year as well..

I just wanna ride..

So keep posted on here.. check out the Wide Open Sportbikes forum and the Redline forum for rides, events, etc. All good local sources for sure..

And I am in Canton along with a few others so not far from Novi..

Word of advice - avoid Royal Oak on Thursday nights.. squid fest and a waste of good time..

jerrygsx
04-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Hello Ninjagirl and welcome to the site. You've got a great bike and will have a lot of fun with it. Keep watching here cause there is always a ride somewhere and feel free to join in on any you like. Great people here and we are bound to start soon seeing some rides put together.:drag:

RoadZombie
04-07-2010, 05:16 PM
I would NEVER be ashamed of any bike no matter size or make - its 2 wheels its all good.

Agreed 110%. You'll find that the people who will bash on a specific bike/style of bike, more times than not have never even been on a bike at all. As Mud says, "if you're on 2 wheels, it's all good".

I just rode next to a guy on a Ninja 250 the other day on my way home from work. He didn't seem to be struggling to keep up with traffic. Anything faster than that is just for "show". Plus, I'm sure he could kick my ass in some twisties. ;-)

Bob
04-07-2010, 05:22 PM
Welcome! I started on 250 myself.

NinjaGirl
04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Thanks, guys! I never realized it but I think the snickers I do get about my 250 are indeed people that don't even own a bike. I had a guy at work call it a scooter the other day and I don't think he's owed a bike a day in his life. I'm happy with it. The bike is actually the exact same physical size as a 500. It's good for me right now, but I'm getting the itch to get bigger.

Thanks for all of the information. I'm definitely watching out for any planned rides. I have a friend I ride with now, but he seems more interested in stopping every 10 minutes when I just want to ride.

And RoadZombie, I'm right down the road from you. Hit me up if you're looking for a riding buddy.

telecast
04-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I had a guy at work call it a scooter the other day

They're all scooters. I ride a Road King and I call it a scooter.

"Nice scoot".

Sometimes when I go for a ride I go for a 'putt'.

Forget what others say, be comfortable with yourself.

Mad Dog
04-07-2010, 06:18 PM
[QUOTE=NinjaGirl;13220] I have a friend I ride with now, but he seems more interested in stopping every 10 minutes when I just want to ride.
[QUOTE]
Yep....never get anywhere doing that. Ride em if ya got em!:)

RoadZombie
04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
Thanks, guys! I never realized it but I think the snickers I do get about my 250 are indeed people that don't even own a bike. I had a guy at work call it a scooter the other day and I don't think he's owed a bike a day in his life. I'm happy with it. The bike is actually the exact same physical size as a 500. It's good for me right now, but I'm getting the itch to get bigger.

Thanks for all of the information. I'm definitely watching out for any planned rides. I have a friend I ride with now, but he seems more interested in stopping every 10 minutes when I just want to ride.

And RoadZombie, I'm right down the road from you. Hit me up if you're looking for a riding buddy.

Pretty much any of the "EX" Ninjas are a good bet. The "it" starter bike when I got my endorsement was the Suzuki GS500E. Still wouldn't mind one now...another sharp bike. Friend of mine had one a couple years back before she moved up to the SV650. She has no problems dusting my ass if I'm on the Harley now LoL.

I also ride with a "group" (which is more just a "group of friends on bikes" than anything terribly structured) as well...I'll be sure to keep y'all in the loop with them as well. Now that it's "bike season", I don't plan on spending much time at home. ;-)

Stopping every 10 minutes, eh?...sounds familiar (...riding with smokers *shakes head*). LoL Although, get me in more populated areas, and I don't mind the stopping...helps me regain my sanity. LoL I normally try to head north or west rather than south or east...much more relaxing.

I'll ride with anyone and always down to meet new people. Just lemme know!

RoadZombie
04-07-2010, 06:53 PM
They're all scooters. I ride a Road King and I call it a scooter.

"Nice scoot".

Sometimes when I go for a ride I go for a 'putt'.

Forget what others say, be comfortable with yourself.

Exactly. Next time the peanut gallery pipes up just say, "Hey!nice....shoes. I bet those Nikes really corner well." ;-)

Bob
04-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah, those guys snickering have probably never been on a bike in their life and if they have they went right to a super bike and wrecked it already. LOL

Here was mine:
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/danase/Grattan%20Raceway%206-23-08/

NinjaGirl
04-07-2010, 07:31 PM
Nice come back about the shoes. I will use that one. I usually go north and west too. I've done Teggerdine up to White Lake Road and back through Milford a lot. Hines Drive is nice too. I think it's awesome you have a Harley and a Ninja!!! Best of both worlds. Fox and the Hound. ;)

I'd be interested to hear how your friend likes her SV. I like them, just concerned how committed I'd be on it. I suppose I need to go sit on one.

RoadZombie
04-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I'll have to check that one out. I'm right across the street from Proud Lake State Rec. Area. One of my faves is just straight up Milford Rd. to Holly. Gets kinda twisty right before you hit Holly. I grew up in Westland so Hines is definitely a staple. My favorite quick ride right now is just up the street, basically down E. Commerce Rd. behind Huron Valley hospital. There's an apple orchard right along the road and the trees are starting to bloom...LOVE that smell!

She absolutely loves that bike. I'm going to say she's 5'6"-ish...maybe 120lbs and has no problems handling it. Just talked to her yesterday and she was joking about getting a 2nd job to buy goodies for it LoL. I think last time I was at Kensington Powersports they had a SV650S (the version with the fairing) on the floor. I know its considerably lighter than my 750 (...pretty much anything other than a tank is), but aside from that I couldn't tell ya. I'm definitely toying with the idea of picking one up myself next spring. I like the fact that it's "sport-ish", but isn't the typical "crotch rocket". Ah the joys of being single, 30, and no kid-lets. LoL

RedneckMedic
04-07-2010, 08:17 PM
welcome to the site!!!

RoadZombie
04-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Yeah, those guys snickering have probably never been on a bike in their life and if they have they went right to a super bike and wrecked it already. LOL

Here was mine:
http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/danase/Grattan%20Raceway%206-23-08/

LoL Bob...the "I dumped it" story is one I heard quite a few times. I dropped the Virago I had last spring (under 5MPH)...had to panic stop to avoid a jackass that figured he'd blow a red light and forgot to put my feet down. When I got up, I basically told myself that I wasn't going to be "that guy" who has a minor dump and packs it all in. Sucked it up, got the bike up...started...and rode the 20 miles home. I know many a person who went out and bought a bike, hit some gravel in their driveway at 2MPH and thus ended their motorcycling career. That's basically how I got the Ninja.

Bob
04-07-2010, 08:28 PM
LoL Bob...the "I dumped it" story is one I heard quite a few times. I dropped the Virago I had last spring (under 5MPH)...had to panic stop to avoid a jackass that figured he'd blow a red light and forgot to put my feet down. When I got up, I basically told myself that I wasn't going to be "that guy" who has a minor dump and packs it all in. Sucked it up, got the bike up...started...and rode the 20 miles home. I know many a person who went out and bought a bike, hit some gravel in their driveway at 2MPH and thus ended their motorcycling career. That's basically how I got the Ninja.

Yeah, I know a lot of guys like that too. Knock on wood I've only dumped one bike, street bike not dirt, and it was the 250. Pulled into the garage and for some reason jumped off the right side and let go without putting the stand down. It was like slow motion watching it fall.

RoadZombie
04-07-2010, 08:30 PM
LoL been there, done that...at the gas station none the less. DER!

NinjaGirl
04-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Well if were confessing about dumping bikes, I've already dumped mine. That's why I got a cheap Ninja 250. :) I was going 5 mph too, turning right at an intersection. I wish I could say there was gravel, but there wasn't. Not even sure what I did. I think I looked down.

I think since I'm a chick I don't need to get that big giant superbike and dump it and quit riding like "those" dudes do.

RZ, I do the commerce ride too. Benstein is twisty for a few minutes. AND there's that ice cream place by the hospital. ;)

RoadZombie
04-07-2010, 10:55 PM
LoL I almost did that before on the same Virago mentioned earlier. I kinda did a rolling stop before making a right turn but the bike hung in neutral. I went to let the clutch out to take off and...nothing. Somehow managed to catch myself before falling over though.

Best twisty around = Oakley Park Rd, between Benstein and...I wanna say Commerce. There is one part in particular I absolutely love. You come to the crest of a small hill (coming from Benstein) and as the road starts going down the other side, it sweeps to the left followed by a banked right turn. It's only 30 MPH through there...but a speed limit sign is just a sign. ;-)

LoL There is also the ice cream place at Benstein and Glengary. Both of them normally have kids out in front making "twist the throttle" motions no matter which bike I'm on. One of these days I'll own a quiet bike...Haha! Doubtful.

zamochit
04-07-2010, 11:09 PM
Welcome to 2Wheel!

Gas Man
04-08-2010, 12:44 AM
Welcome. And Mud is right... we have all kinds of bikes at rides.

Examples:
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/TWF%20WOS%20Ride%20Oct%208th%202006/WOSTWF011.jpg

L to R
Wifey (Teen), Muds R6, me, Dyno behind me
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/photo1.jpg

You're not too far from my house (Woodhaven/Flat Rock area) so if you need anything or work on your bike. Its always open...

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Lift%20Wrenching/Lift020.jpg

NinjaGirl
04-08-2010, 08:55 AM
Great pics, Gas Man! It's nice to see cruisers, Harley's and Sport Bikes together. I can't wait to get in on a ride with y'all!!!

RZ, I just rode that part of Oakley Park on Monday. I know exactly where you're talking about.

If the weather holds up this weekend, is anyone thinking about riding? Both Saturday and Sunday are supposed to be pretty nice. It's either ride or work for free. :)

Mudpuppy
04-08-2010, 11:45 AM
on a charity ride is probably the only time you will ever see me riding behind gasman.. :)

RoadZombie
04-08-2010, 04:37 PM
If it's nice out, I'll be out. Alone, in a group, or otherwise. I didn't buy a shed decoration, I bought a bike. ;-) I'll let ya know!

NinjaGirl
04-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Mudpuppy, where are you from? Are you downriver with Gas Man?

Mad Dog
04-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Mudpuppy, where are you from? Are you downriver with Gas Man?

I think both them dudes are Up The River....If ya know what I mean.:rolleyes:

oldclock
04-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Welcome to the site and the joy of riding, Nijagirl. The others said just about everything to say about enjoying a bike. Just remember, "it is not what you ride, but how you ride".
Be safe and alert.

RoadZombie
04-08-2010, 11:14 PM
I think both them dudes are Up The River....If ya know what I mean.:rolleyes:

Or along side the river...Deliverence style. LoL ;-)

Mudpuppy
04-09-2010, 12:03 AM
ok haters ha ha.. up the river, down the river, no paddle.. i hope you had a good laugh at gasman and my expense..

i live in Canton.. 10 minutes or less from Novi (depending on how you ride or drive - its less for me).. both my sisters live in Novi..

i grew up in Plymouth and basically have been in this area my whole life.. I did live in Novi for a few years a while back..

RoadZombie
04-09-2010, 12:09 AM
We kid because we care :-P

NinjaGirl
04-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Less than 10 minutes, eh?? I think I better practice up if I'm gonna ride with you. ;)

Gas Man
04-09-2010, 12:17 AM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Posting/840601427_l.jpg

Bagger Dave
04-09-2010, 12:19 AM
Welcome!

RoadZombie
04-09-2010, 12:27 AM
Less than 10 minutes, eh?? I think I better practice up if I'm gonna ride with you. ;)

Sure. From the Novi ramp on 96 to the Ford Rd. exit on 275 is definitely under 10 minutes...ish at 70-75. Give or take a min or so. ...without traffic of course. ;-)

Mad Dog
04-09-2010, 08:58 AM
Sure. From the Novi ramp on 96 to the Ford Rd. exit on 275 is definitely under 10 minutes...ish at 70-75. Give or take a min or so. ...without traffic of course. ;-)
Traffic makes it more fun.:eek:

RoadZombie
04-09-2010, 10:54 AM
LoL We call that "Combat Riding".

junkyardjon
04-11-2010, 12:17 AM
welcome aboard

metrogtiguy
04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Hey, those 250's are a riot! My girl rides an 04' ninja 250 also. I love getting on that bike every once in a while. It's actually lighter than my dirtbike, and incredibly more nimble than my 500lb GPZ1100. Popping 2nd gear at 14,000RPM's is pretty fun too :D If you're ever up for a lunchtime ride, I work in Plymouth, right off of Hines. Ride safe!

NinjaGirl
04-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Hey, those 250's are a riot! My girl rides an 04' ninja 250 also. I love getting on that bike every once in a while. It's actually lighter than my dirtbike, and incredibly more nimble than my 500lb GPZ1100. Popping 2nd gear at 14,000RPM's is pretty fun too :D If you're ever up for a lunchtime ride, I work in Plymouth, right off of Hines. Ride safe!

Sounds good!! Unfortunately rides at lunch are impossible since I'm a slave to my job, but any other time, I'm in your area. Hit me up!!

Mudpuppy
04-27-2010, 10:06 AM

where at? I am right off Hines in Plymouth also - across from Blackwell next to Unisys.