PDA

View Full Version : Test Rides?

Chet Punisher
04-03-2010, 03:56 PM
Would you let someone test ride a bike you are selling?

I've sold several and I don't usually let people test ride them. What say you?

telecast
04-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Yes.

You must have cash in (my) hand for the full purchase price, which I'll return if the bike comes back in one piece.

A CY endorsement.

Your own helmet. You're not putting your lice infested hair in mine.

You damage the bike, you bought it.

Gas Man
04-03-2010, 05:02 PM
For me it would depend on the buyer.

But I know a few guys that flip bikes all the time. No test rides unless money in hand. So a $2500 bike... I have the cash in my hand. You test ride. Don't like, brought back un damaged... I give you the money back.

That is how its done more often.

Bob
04-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I did for my FZR600 only because it was not running right, was painted rattle can flat black and I was not asking much for it. Of course it ran perfect for the guy that night.

horrorbusiness
04-03-2010, 08:25 PM
I saw a guy doing stoppies on a bike with a 4sale sign on it.

snofrog
04-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Yes.

You must have cash in (my) hand for the full purchase price, which I'll return if the bike comes back in one piece.

A CY endorsement.

ditto

vortech302
04-04-2010, 08:53 AM
For me it would depend on the buyer.

No test rides unless money in hand. So a $2500 bike... I have the cash in my hand. You test ride. Don't like, brought back un damaged... I give you the money back. .

+1 or something. When I sold my bike I wasn't going to let him test ride it until he told me the last two bikes he bought were in the winter and both had shifting problems.

Mudpuppy
04-05-2010, 12:31 PM
yes if they give me the entire amount in cash to hold as they test ride.. they wreck it i hand them the title and walk away.. otherwise you don't like it don't buy it..

sevenplusone
04-12-2010, 04:46 PM
Yes.

A CY endorsement.

Yeah that.

meinschaft
04-13-2010, 10:54 AM
I put my last bike on Craigslist last Fall, on a complete whim. Wanted to gauge interest and see what I might get offered. The first call was from as guy in Brighton who wanted to come see the bike. At the appointed time/date, he shows up, but WITH HIS WIFE!!!!! I'm thinking [to myself, of course], what kind of dumb*ss goes bike shopping with his wifey? Other than having questionable judgement, he seems like a nice dude, not a squid by any means.

Anyway, he looks over the bike, telling me about the bikes he's owned, etc. I can tell he's interested and he asks if he can take it for a test ride. He brought his own helmet/jacket (a good sign), so I suggested a route of about 5 miles. After handing me the keys to his PU, he gears up and takes off, leaving me talking with wifey in the driveway.

He's back in 10 minutes, the bike is unmolested. I can tell he likes the bike. He walks around and around and finally makes me an offer. Since he is the first person to inquire, I turn down his offer and repeat my asking price. Wifey is watching him walk around the bike as he tries to decide his next move. He makes me another offer, which I turn down, explaining that in a week, or two, I might sell for that price, but not today. He walks around some more, scratching his chin, deep in thought.

FINALLY his WIFE says, "Honey, Why don't you just buy the damn thing?"

First caller, got my asking price. DONE!!!! As far as the test ride? I decide based on the individual. It's worked well for my last three rides.

Anyway, I was really glad he brought his WIFEY with him.

telecast
04-13-2010, 01:55 PM
I decide based on the individual.

No doubt there's common sense involved, you can usually tell pretty quickly the type of person you're dealing with. But, it's easier to set tough ground rules and back off for the right person than it is to tell some lowlife they can't take it for a ride after they drove out to see it.

Chet Punisher
04-13-2010, 01:58 PM
Doesn't matter now. Guy who wanted the said "test ride" got all huffy when I told him the terms. Another guy bought it yesterday without a test ride. Now on to a bigger, better and way more expensive project. :)

meinschaft
04-13-2010, 04:58 PM
No doubt there's common sense involved, you can usually tell pretty quickly the type of person you're dealing with. But, it's easier to set tough ground rules and back off for the right person than it is to tell some lowlife they can't take it for a ride after they drove out to see it.

I agree 100%. If I had any doubt I'd have no problem saying no to a test ride. But I did get the keys to the dude's Honda CRV before he left. And I could hold his wife hostage. I didn't mean to give the idea that I'd just hand my keys over to anyone who showed up. Management reserves the right to approve/disapprove test rides.

telecast
04-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Was she hot? :D

meinschaft
04-14-2010, 11:38 AM
I didn't ask but it was late October.