PDA

View Full Version : Harley Withdraws From Myrtle Beach Rally

zamochit
03-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Harley-Davidson Corporate still didn’t apply for a business license to hold its event during the North Myrtle Beach Rally. City leaders wanted people who live there to understand why there should be a bike rally in their town and issued a flier explaining what’s happening with a proposed bike event and distributed it explaining what would and would not be permitted. When Harley-Davidson got knowledge of this flyer and realizing that they were not really welcome, that the number of outside vendors would probably be low, implying weak rally attendance, the company along with the local Myrtle Beach Harley dealer decided yesterday Friday March 19 to pull out from this event.
Without the draw of any Harley-Davidson presence I think that it’s probable that other vendors intending to be present are going to change their plans and that the number of rally goers to this event is going to dwindle again. Is it the beginning of the end of any Bike Rally in the Myrtle Beach area? (depending of who you talk to, the Rally is now called by several names: Myrtle Beach Bike Week, Grand Strand Spring Rally, Cruisin’ The Coast, Spring Rally, Murrells Inlet Spring Rally…). Not a good sign of unity.

I was planning on going down to the condo to enjoy this, but looks like it may be another dead bike event.

Thruxtonbill
03-21-2010, 02:16 PM
I guess they don't like EVERYONES money.

junkyardjon
03-22-2010, 12:24 AM
ain't harley getting taken over anyways?

zamochit
03-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I didn't hear anything about them being taken over. All I heard was that they were having a hard time. maybe the gubernment will give them a bailout;)

junkyardjon
03-22-2010, 12:48 AM
might be too early to say

http://www.jsonline.com/business/87811297.html

junkyardjon
03-22-2010, 12:50 AM
oh and myrtle beach don't want motorcycles in there city anyways

telecast
03-22-2010, 07:42 AM
There are rumors, mostly from Germany.

Harley did apply for bailout money, but I can't find anything saying they got it. It's doubtful since they sold $600m in debt at a whopping 15% interest, a big portion of that going to Warren Buffet. They sold another $500m later at 5% interest.

H-D’s stock price has dropped from $80-plus per share in December 2006 to $13.70 last year, now it looks like it's back up to around $28.

This whole story sounds like the people of Myrtle Beach didn't want the rally, and Harley, seeing the opportunity to maybe save some $ used it for an excuse to back out.

Gas Man
03-22-2010, 01:13 PM
The rumors of HD buy out are just to drive up stock prices....

telecast
03-22-2010, 01:33 PM
Well, it wouldn't matter to me either way. The company isn't going to go anywhere, it's just a matter of who gets to keep the profits. When CBS sold Fender back in the 80's they got better and less expensive. All corps care about is bottom line and paying the investors. Privately held companies worry about their name and personal profits. In a privately held Co. if the profits aren't there they just make less money for a year. But, if a publicly traded company isn't paying their investors they got a whole different set of problems.