PDA

View Full Version : Wow, that's a lotta' bikes!

telecast
03-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Was down at the HD dealer in Taylor yesterday. Saw the manager about the same time he saw me. We said hi and started BS'ing. He said they sold 61 bikes this month. Even he was amazed at that number.

Huh?! I thought the economy stunk? I thought no one had any money? I thought those that did were holding onto it? Michigan is still somewhere around 14.3% unemployment, with Detroit closer to 30%.

Who the hell is buying these bikes?

Whatever is going on it can only be good for everyone. If you take an average of $12k per bike that's something around $0.75M worth of iron.

No idea if the other HD dealers are doing as well, but I would imagine they're at least very close. I would also imagine that the metrics are posting similar numbers.

Spend people, spend! It all really boils down to buying stuff.

Thruxtonbill
03-21-2010, 10:06 AM
61 bikes, wow, not that it matters but, were those all new bikes?
I would like to see the demographics on the type of buyer of a new Harley, I'm assuming the typical buyer is over 40.
What is also surprising to me is that these guys would not find a nice used bike and save huge $$$. I have no idea what a new HD cost but I know they are not cheap.

The banks are starting to loosen up a bit, maybe thats it.

zamochit
03-21-2010, 12:32 PM
Thats some great news. New or used atleast they are keeping busy and staying alive. I see a harley dealer down in Florida folded, but I am guessing they were probably in trouble before this mess started.

snofrog
03-21-2010, 04:31 PM
61 bikes, wow, not that it matters but, were those all new bikes?
I would like to see the demographics on the type of buyer of a new Harley, I'm assuming the typical buyer is over 40.
What is also surprising to me is that these guys would not find a nice used bike and save huge $$$. I have no idea what a new HD cost but I know they are not cheap.

The banks are starting to loosen up a bit, maybe thats it.

in the last 3 months I have purchased a new leftover 09 snowmobile and a used 08 motorcycle . the "banks" however had nothing to do with it . the fact that people rely on banks and credit cards to purchase anything over $50 is the scary part . imho and the way I was brought up ... if you cant afford it you dont need it

telecast
03-21-2010, 05:17 PM
not that it matters but, were those all new bikes?

I'm going to guess that a good number were used, but then again dealers get most of their used bikes from trade-ins, so someone bought something somewhere along the line.

HD is running a bunch of deals. Buy a leftover '09 and get a couple years free maintenance, financing at 2.9%, I think there may even be one deal for an extended warranty.

Gas Man
03-21-2010, 11:18 PM
Its also a matter that they are doing better than the other dealers. I think they've been #1 for the past few months.

I know the parts counter sold 76 batteries in one saturday a few weeks ago.

Thruxtonbill
03-22-2010, 08:48 AM
the fact that people rely on banks and credit cards to purchase anything over $50 is the scary part . imho and the way I was brought up ... if you cant afford it you dont need it
That great but, you are in the minority as most Americans buy big ticket items on credit.