PDA

View Full Version : thinking of getting a bike with a rebuilt title

snofrog
03-07-2010, 01:29 PM
I found a bike I like with a rebuilt title . if I get it once it is transferred does it still say rebuilt and is there some kind of inspection I`d need . this would be an import from Ohio . this money is burning a hole in my wallet so I need to get a bike soon . thanks guy`s

Bob
03-07-2010, 01:35 PM
I found a bike I like with a rebuilt title . if I get it once it is transferred does it still say rebuilt and is there some kind of inspection I`d need . this would be an import from Ohio . this money is burning a hole in my wallet so I need to get a bike soon . thanks guy`s

I think it will always say rebuilt or salvaged or whatever Michigan does. If it is already titled as a rebuilt I'm pretty sure you don;t need an inspection.

Lumpy
03-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Thought I once read somewhere that insurance costs for salvage vehicles can be significantly higher, or in some cases, you cant even get some salvage vehicles insured with some companies.

I am not stating that this is a fact, just something I read once. Either way, you might want to check into it before making your purchase.

RoadZombie
03-07-2010, 02:08 PM
My Ninja also has a rebuilt title. I've read into it a bit. The title will always be labeled "Rebuilt". As it is already labeled as rebuilt, you don't need it inspected as this has already been done to get the "rebuilt" designation. I'm pretty sure you won't have any issues "importing" from Ohio.

"Rebuilt" can be a great deal or a nightmare. Inspect very closely.

snofrog
03-07-2010, 05:04 PM
thanks guy`s I will give it a chance and check it out in person :trailer:

RoadZombie
03-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Judging by that picture, definitely keep a close eye to the frame. That doesn't look like a "Oops! It fell over in the garage" accident. That looks more like a "dumped on it's side at about 45MPH". Pay particular attention to any welds. Pretty much any and all bikes these days have robot welded frames...if you see anything that looks like it may have been done by hand, walk away.

snofrog
03-07-2010, 09:00 PM
Judging by that picture, definitely keep a close eye to the frame. That doesn't look like a "Oops! It fell over in the garage" accident. That looks more like a "dumped on it's side at about 45MPH". Pay particular attention to any welds. Pretty much any and all bikes these days have robot welded frames...if you see anything that looks like it may have been done by hand, walk away.

absolutely ! I just love the look of the bike in the done stage but I am being skeptical about it untill I can see it in person . I weld for a living :weld: and will definately go over it . this is a lot of coin for me to be handing over . thanks for the input

RoadZombie
03-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Heh, the PO told me mine had a rebuilt title because the guy he got it from lost the title...uh huh. Couldn't have been because it was dropped since the whole left side was FUBAR. LoL My guess is it was either knocked over in the garage or "Oh shit! I forgot the kickstand!", and as it was around a 20 year old bike the insurance company told him to get bent.

Then again, this is also the same guy that claimed that he put on around 100 miles on the bike last year...the carbs and the gas in the tank told a WHOLE 'nother story. Buyer beware ;-)

Gas Man
03-08-2010, 08:21 AM
OR its hot.

Thruxtonbill
03-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Pay close attention to the frame welds, they are really obvious on this bike.

The great thing about the FZ is it make a really nice street fighter if you want to lose the fairing, lots of options for that. Is that an 08?. What are you paying? Also if you pull the trigger, visit the FZ1 board, lots of info there.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2007/LIT-11626-20-54_fz1_1326.pdf

http://www.whaccessories.com/FZ1%20FZS%201000%20Fazer%20600.htm

snofrog
03-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Pay close attention to the frame welds, they are really obvious on this bike.

The great thing about the FZ is it make a really nice street fighter if you want to lose the fairing, lots of options for that. Is that an 08?. What are you paying? Also if you pull the trigger, visit the FZ1 board, lots of info there.
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/service/manuals/2007/LIT-11626-20-54_fz1_1326.pdf

http://www.whaccessories.com/FZ1%20FZS%201000%20Fazer%20600.htm

yes its an 08 with the retro skins on it . $5300 is the price we are at right now down from $5800 I have always liked that look since my rz days .this is a before pic .working on an after . there is the same bike same gray color right here close with 4500 miles and a little cheaper . I just dont like that color

snofrog
03-10-2010, 12:31 AM
well after talking to my insurance guy he said he cant write it up with a rebuild title . just as well as I was nervous about the deal anyway . so I`m going saturday to look at the one thats close to me . the wife asked if I was taking the trailer when I go to look at it . I just smiled and she says make sure to get new straps for it lol :D

RoadZombie
03-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Who is your insurance with? I still have to insure mine.

snofrog
03-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Who is your insurance with? I still have to insure mine.
AAA Michigan

Mudpuppy
03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
i found state farm has best prices for bikes..

RoadZombie
03-10-2010, 11:02 PM
State Farm insures my Harley...my truck...and my house. Was just hoping he didn't say "State Farm" actually. When I just had liability on the Virago I had, I think it was like $15 a month.

snofrog
03-10-2010, 11:17 PM
with my combo of cars snowmobiles and bike .aaa won out but thanks for the tip on state farm

Gas Man
03-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Truth Mud... been proved many times over.. state farm is the best Bike insurance! I use them for all my policies now. They simply rock!

snofrog
03-11-2010, 12:04 AM
Truth Mud... been proved many times over.. state farm is the best Bike insurance! I use them for all my policies now. They simply rock!
like I said "for the package " aaa won . I switched from state farm

RedneckMedic
03-11-2010, 12:35 AM
when i was looking for my bike for full coverage state farm wanted over a grand for the year and i got it for about 400 through progressive

Mudpuppy
03-11-2010, 12:13 PM
yeah once you start packaging it changes the entire landscape..

i would have my bike under the rest of my policy - car, truck, house, etc. but encompass won't cover a bike.. and my broker for insurance only deals with progressive who wants like $3,000 a year or something.. i pay $288 a year with state farm..

but i did hear state farm now requires you insure a car, truck or something else if you want bike insurance.. when i get this r1 lined up i will find out how that goes..

Gas Man
03-11-2010, 12:57 PM
like I said "for the package " aaa won . I switched from state farm

And good luck with AAA with claims. They are PIA.

State Farm will even let you do your repairs and get paid your shop estimate.

when i was looking for my bike for full coverage state farm wanted over a grand for the year and i got it for about 400 through progressive

But you didn't include a car. That is the hitch. As Mud said. They don't "require" it, but when you don't the rates are WAY higher.

Any claim I've had with SF has been easy and great to deal with.

Mudpuppy
03-11-2010, 05:44 PM
State Farm has always been awesome to deal with in my experience..

They quoted me $664 a year for the 2010 R1 today.. so $55 a month - not too shabby for a 190hp out of the box race rocket that will do 200mph in a matter of seconds..

and they didn't say anything about having to have a car on the policy.. i figure if i did drop the R6 I will insure the R1 first, pay for it and then drop the R6 so I am locked in.. and they will issue me a check for the remainder of my R6 policy as I just pay yearly anyways..

RoadZombie
03-11-2010, 07:30 PM
Just got my renewal today...$410 for the year through State Farm.

...and Rugby, you're under 25...State Farm seems to be a bit higher when you're under 25. I know it's true for cars, probably the same for bikes. When I was under 25, I was with Progressive for everything too...their rates blew everyone elses out of the water. Once I turned 25, I started shopping around again...State Farm was the way to go. On average, $2-300 cheaper every 6 months than anyone else.

Mudpuppy
03-11-2010, 11:51 PM
true under 25 is a different story too.. i also have had bikes insured with state farm for about 15-20 years and no claims.. i am sure they take that into account..

i shop every year.. at least my broker does.. sometimes i switch every year - like last year i had citizens and now i have encompass for car, home, truck, etc.

Gas Man
03-12-2010, 01:29 AM
Not me.. I stick with State Farm... I'm insured thru the ying yang. I won't even get into it...

RoadZombie
03-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Not me.. I stick with State Farm... I'm insured thru the ying yang. I won't even get into it...

Same here...only way I'd even bother switching is if I could cut my bill at LEAST by 20%. My State Farm agent is the shit...customer service like I've never had. Too much of a damn hassle to switch everything on top of it all.

Gas Man
03-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Yeah same thing for me RZ.

Mudpuppy
03-13-2010, 01:28 AM
fuck that i have no allegiance - i would switch for a nickel savings.. its not like they are sending a hot agent over to blow me or something - that would be worth 20% fo sho..

insurance is bullshit anyways.. like chris rock said it should be in case shit happens - if shit don't happen give me my fucking money back.. but not we pay for everyone and anyone under a system that hands out licenses like candy.. the american (insert democrat) way..

RedneckMedic
03-13-2010, 01:44 AM
fuck that i have no allegiance - i would switch for a nickel savings.. its not like they are sending a hot agent over to blow me or something - that would be worth 20% fo sho..

insurance is bullshit anyways.. like chris rock said it should be in case shit happens - if shit don't happen give me my fucking money back.. but not we pay for everyone and anyone under a system that hands out licenses like candy.. the american (insert democrat) way..

hell yes he skoke truf in down to earth that movie was hilarious

Thruxtonbill
03-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Back on topic,
snofrog, if you're still intrested in a Fazer, check out this Gen 1, one of the best all around streetbikes ever made.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/mcy/1640827423.html

snofrog
03-13-2010, 11:56 PM
I brought this home today :D clean bike and title 08 with 4,000 miles . extra gel seat and puig windscreen included

Gas Man
03-13-2010, 11:58 PM
That's great sno... whats the dilly with that?

snofrog
03-14-2010, 12:00 AM
That's great sno... whats the dilly with that?

clean bike and title no issues lol

Gas Man
03-14-2010, 01:29 AM
clean bike and title no issues lol
Sweet. Was that one of the linked bikes further back in the thread?

snofrog
03-14-2010, 01:55 AM
no I just felt that I was fighting something trying to get myself to buy that bike so I went with this one . same price 3 hrs closer

Gas Man
03-14-2010, 04:18 AM
I hear ya thr

Thruxtonbill
03-14-2010, 09:00 AM
Congrats, you're gonna have fun with this one, but I guess I'm a little bias.

snofrog
03-14-2010, 11:24 AM
Congrats, you're gonna have fun with this one, but I guess I'm a little bias.

thanks . I was looking at fz1`s last time I got a bike as well but ended up with a bandit instead . I have been on fz1oa for a while as a registered lurker just checking everything out .
now I just need to grab a new helmet . I`m looking at the hjc is16 but time will tell and thanks for all the help and input guy`s !!! Mark