PDA

View Full Version : My fishing line helper

Bob
02-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I made this today with some scrap I had in the garage. It's so I can spool my reels without needing another set of hands. I made it so it will not spin for when I do my spinner reels and it can also be adjusted with a spring to put tension on it for my coasting reels if I want to.

telecast
02-21-2010, 10:56 AM
Pretty cool. Here's an idea: Put a nylon washer under the spool and another on top along with a metal washer, then add a wingnut. You can set the tension however you want, kind of like a brake. It'll let you wind and not worry about the spool taking off on you.

Bob
02-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Yeah, that's what I have. Actually I'm using a spring to adjust the tension. Like on my welder how I adjust the wire tension.

telecast
02-21-2010, 11:47 AM
Better yet!

Bob
02-21-2010, 01:19 PM
I might have to go to your idea though if the threaded rod get in the way. I can't cut too much of it off or I won't be able to use a spring.

Gas Man
02-21-2010, 09:39 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Posting/goinon.jpg

I have no idea what you are talking about!!!

Pigpen
02-21-2010, 10:40 PM
It a little helper to help hold the line when you restring a fishing reel. If you don't put a little pressure against the new line being strung sometime it creates nots on the new spool. :D Great idea and looks like a nice quality piece.

And we all thought you knew everthing:D

Gas, when are you calling in sick so we can go fishing?

Bob
02-21-2010, 10:44 PM
It a little helper to help hold the line when you restring a fishing reel. If you don't put a little pressure against the new line being strung sometime it creates nots on the new spool. :D Great idea and looks like a nice quality piece.

And we all thought you knew everthing:D

Gas, when are you calling in sick so we can go fishing?

Thanks!

Yeah, and the trouble with spinning reels is that you should put the line on the spool the same way as it comes off the line spool. That helps line twist and it's very hard to do if you just let the line spool sit on the floor. I used to just set the spool on the floor, run the line under a book for tension and reel it in. Then I stopped doing mine all together and just taking it into Cabelas to do it. But that doesn't do much good when you need to respool while fishing in the middle of nowhere. LOL

Gas Man
02-21-2010, 10:49 PM
Pig I have been working at my place for almost 12yrs... I have NEVER called in sick or took a sick day.

And get this... we have unlimited paid sick days.

telecast
02-21-2010, 11:20 PM
Pig I have been working at my place for almost 12yrs... I have NEVER called in sick or took a sick day.

And get this... we have unlimited paid sick days.

Man, that either makes you the guy with the highest work ethic in the world or the dumbest guy in the world.

I ain't figured out which yet.

Let me think on it....

RoadZombie
02-21-2010, 11:30 PM
Haven't taken a sick day in...probably about the same. In fact, I have never "called off" any job I've had. I have taken off pre-planned vacation days, but no hooky.

Gas Man
02-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Man, that either makes you the guy with the highest work ethic in the world or the dumbest guy in the world.

I ain't figured out which yet.

Let me think on it....
Let me know what you come up with... cause I'm not sure either!

Honestly though... there are only a few guys that can do my job. If I call off its 1 of 3 other people that are going to get shit on. Its not like a cashier at walmart... 1 calls off so instead of 6 cashiers you have 5. Its not the case at my work. There is only 1 of me on at a time. 1 more on opposite shift. 1 off duty. 1 relief guy to fill in for us on vacay. That is it!

Pigpen
02-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Let me know what you come up with... cause I'm not sure either!

Honestly though... there are only a few guys that can do my job. If I call off its 1 of 3 other people that are going to get shit on. Its not like a cashier at walmart... 1 calls off so instead of 6 cashiers you have 5. Its not the case at my work. There is only 1 of me on at a time. 1 more on opposite shift. 1 off duty. 1 relief guy to fill in for us on vacay. That is it!

Thats why you make the big bucks:D I have never called in sick or played hooky either as some may now think but now that I work for the state I have all the time in the world. Besides Marci likes it when I get my grouchy ass out of the house.:)