PDA

View Full Version : Good video on talking to the police

Bob
02-17-2010, 07:36 PM
This is a VERY good video and might help someone one day so figured I'd post it.

6wXkI4t7nuc

Mad Dog
02-17-2010, 09:50 PM
No Bob that's a Great Video. Yes it's old but everyone should watch it. Helped me out big time last summer. The detectives I sent packin weren't too happy though!:D

Bob
02-17-2010, 10:32 PM
No Bob that's a Great Video. Yes it's old but everyone should watch it. Helped me out big time last summer. The detectives I sent packin weren't too happy though!:D

Yeah, I rarely have the patients to sit through a youtube video that long but it was very interesting and well worth it. The cop that talked during the second half surprised me too as to how he agreed and some of the tactics they use in the "interview" room.

I watch "The First 48" all of the time and it amazes me as to how many people confess and how many people never ask for a lawyer. Or they ask for a lawyer, the cops leave the room, come back 30 minutes later and the guy confesses anyway. WTF?! LOL

I recommend this be followed for anything too. You shoot a dude in your house robbing you and are 100% legal in doing so you better have a lawyer before talking to the cops. Anything can be skewed.

This is a decent site too on what to do during police encounters. Sort of crappy acting but they get the point across.

http://flexyourrights.org/

Mudpuppy
02-18-2010, 12:24 AM
everyone should always apply ghetto logic to any situation - didn't see anything, don't know anything, etc. michael irvin once said - i feel the ewectwicty in the air - no wait wrong one - he said i don't know anything about anything.. and i live by that motto..

RoadZombie
02-18-2010, 03:11 PM
everyone should always apply ghetto logic to any situation - didn't see anything, don't know anything, etc. michael irvin once said - i feel the ewectwicty in the air - no wait wrong one - he said i don't know anything about anything.. and i live by that motto..

Amen! "Here no evil, see no evil, speak no evil". Don't forget traffic infractions as well. When the officer asks if he knows why he pulled you over, the answer is ALWAYS, "Nope." Matter of fact, any ticket I have ever gotten this was the ONLY word I have ever said to a LEO.

More people need to practice this at work (at least in my workplace) as well. In these situations my motto is "I know nothing". Worked so far. :cool:

Gas Man
02-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Co-operate but don't offer any extra info.

And I will not watch that long vid. NO WAY.

Bob
02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Co-operate but don't offer any extra info.

And I will not watch that long vid. NO WAY.

Your better off not saying a word. That is what the video is about. Even when you think you are helping they can easily use it against you.

Gas Man
02-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Yeah I've heard that before... Good luck with that stragedy!

Bob
02-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Yeah I've heard that before... Good luck with that stragedy!

Good luck? It's your right to not say a word without a lawyer present.

RoadZombie
02-19-2010, 11:00 AM

True, but see "America's Largest Street Gang" video for reference. ;-)

Rider
02-19-2010, 12:23 PM
That video is worth the time to watch. I believe it wholeheartedly. STFU and you will be better off. Not just with the law but in all aspects of your life.

Gas Man
02-19-2010, 01:38 PM

And its his right to arrest you for not cooperating.

Rider
02-19-2010, 02:31 PM
And its his right to arrest you for not cooperating.
Like the guy in the video said, they are going to arrest you anyway. No amount of sweet talking is going to keep you from being arrested if the cop believes you are guilty of something. You might as well STFU and let them PROOVE you are guilty.

Gas Man
02-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Are we talking about real crimes? Like me shooting somebody at home? Or traffic stops?

Traffic stop is what I have been referring to. That is the normal interactions we all have with cops.

If I shoot somebody I will speak on nothing. NONE. Totally different than a traffic stop.

Bob
02-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Are we talking about real crimes? Like me shooting somebody at home? Or traffic stops?

Traffic stop is what I have been referring to. That is the normal interactions we all have with cops.

If I shoot somebody I will speak on nothing. NONE. Totally different than a traffic stop.

Anything. Crime or not.

And traffic stops is one of them. Don't say crap! Cops ask you if you no how fast you were going ignore it or say "no". Cop ask to search your car, "no". You NEVER want to get into a discussion with one. Even the cop in the video says that.

Gas Man
02-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Well that is dug right? Never admit to anything.

junkyardjon
02-20-2010, 05:17 PM
say nothing, i always have. i had the cops ask to search my car a number on times for no reason. just say no and watch there face, it's priceless LOL. hell i've been stopped for leaving work late and there know i work there at all hours of the day and night, they know my car but still stop me.

Bob
02-20-2010, 06:07 PM
say nothing, i always have. i had the cops ask to search my car a number on times for no reason. just say no and watch there face, it's priceless LOL. hell i've been stopped for leaving work late and there know i work there at all hours of the day and night, they know my car but still stop me.

A cheesy but good video on what to do on a traffic stop and if they want to search.
http://flexyourrights.org/node/184

And this is ONE reason why you should never open your mouth or let them search.
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/bronx/two_bronx_men_free_after_drugs_turn_QsGYjXU210b3HP 1BMzylWO

telecast
02-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Refusing an automobile search is a joke. The ONLY place they need a warrant for is the trunk. The passenger compartment is fair game without consent under several circumstances, at least one of which (the old 'probable cause') can be contrived quite easily. Another allows them to search the vehicle after an arrest and they can arrest you even for a minor traffic violation.

"The Supreme Court recognizes three distinct doctrines permitting the police to search automobiles without warrants. First, since Carroll v. United States (http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/topic/carroll-v-united-states) (1925), a warrant has not been required so long as there is probable cause to believe that the vehicle contains contraband or evidence of a crime. This “automobile exception” has been greatly expanded since Carroll. For example, the Court held in California v. Carney (1985) that a mobile home capable of traveling on a highway was included within the exception, and in Wyoming v. Houghton (1999), the Court held that the police may use the exception to search the personal belongings of passengers (but not the passengers themselves).

Second, the Court held in New York v. Belton (http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/topic/new-york-v-belton) (1981) that the police may automatically search an automobile's passenger compartment without a warrant after arresting an occupant of the vehicle because a criminal may hide contraband or weapons in the vehicle before the arrest. Since the Court held in Atwater v. City of Lago Vista (2001) that the police may arrest motorists for even petty traffic violations, the police now have an incentive to arrest minor traffic violators in order to perform “Belton searches” of their automobiles.

“Inventory searches” are the third doctrine permitting the police to perform warrantless (http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/topic/warrant) automobile searches. In Colorado v. Bertine (1987), the Court held that the police may thoroughly search vehicles that have been lawfully (http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/topic/lawful) impounded for any reason. The Court explained that such inventory searches are justified to protect the owner from misappropriation, to protect the police from false claims of theft, and to prevent dangerous items from being stored on police property.

Taken together, the expansion of the automobile exception, Belton searches, and inventory searches have largely eliminated the expectation of privacy that American motorists may once have had in their automobiles."

So if you get pulled over for something minor like turning right on a redlight in a signed intersection and refuse to let the cop search your vehicle, the traffic ticket may turn into an arrest. At that point he can search the car and your personal belongings. On the other hand, if you give him permission he can only search the car itself.

The internet is full of good and bad adivce. My game plan? Cooperate as best I can. If I got nothing to hide, go for it. If I piss him off he's going to get in anyway.

junkyardjon
02-21-2010, 09:05 AM
i still say no, if they search thats fine but i know whats in my car. i don't trust the police at all. been searched for walking down the street, so.... what would you think?
they do have a new police force around here but i still don't trust them. small town you know what there really like. like one of them holding a knife to a girls neck and telling here he'll rape her!! yeah i don't trust those assholes and he kept his job, so... what would you think. i'm done in this thread.

Bob
02-21-2010, 09:35 AM
i still say no, if they search thats fine but i know whats in my car. i don't trust the police at all. been searched for walking down the street, so.... what would you think?
they do have a new police force around here but i still don't trust them. small town you know what there really like. like one of them holding a knife to a girls neck and telling here he'll rape her!! yeah i don't trust those assholes and he kept his job, so... what would you think. i'm done in this thread.

I'm with you.

And I don't think turning on red is an arrest-able offence.

telecast
02-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Read the stuff I posted from the Supreme Court rulings. They can arrest you for even a minor traffic violation, and the arrest allows them to search.

Bob
02-21-2010, 10:07 AM
Read the stuff I posted from the Supreme Court rulings. They can arrest you for even a minor traffic violation, and the arrest allows them to search.

How are they going to arrest you for turning on a red?

telecast
02-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Read my post: "In a signed intersection".

I paid a $140 ticket for turning right on a red light because I didn't see the sign.

RoadZombie
02-21-2010, 12:58 PM
How are they going to arrest you for turning on a red?

"Interfering with a police investigation" most likely. I don't keep anything "questionable" in my vehicle just for this very reason. About the only thing a cop will find in my truck is an old french fry under my seat. I do also have my CCW permit so that makes me even more vigilant about dealing with Johnny Law. When the first thing you have to say to the cop is that you're packing a .45 locked and loaded under your arm, they tend to be on edge.

RoadZombie
02-21-2010, 01:01 PM
Read my post: "In a signed intersection".

I paid a $140 ticket for turning right on a red light because I didn't see the sign.

Me too...but the officer was "nice enough" to only write me up for "impeeding the flow of traffic", which is 0 points instead. Him and another cop were camping the intersection...as I was waiting for some friends at a gas station near by, they pulled over 5 more cars between the two of them.

telecast
02-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Me too...but the officer was "nice enough" to only write me up for "impeeding the flow of traffic", which is 0 points instead. Him and another cop were camping the intersection...as I was waiting for some friends at a gas station near by, they pulled over 5 more cars between the two of them.

HAH! I had mine 'lowered' to impeding traffic by writing a nice letter. It would've been 2 points. The fine was a little less, but the extra $25 or so I spent one time was a lot cheaper than an insurance increase.

RoadZombie
02-21-2010, 05:55 PM
HAH! I had mine 'lowered' to impeding traffic by writing a nice letter. It would've been 2 points. The fine was a little less, but the extra $25 or so I spent one time was a lot cheaper than an insurance increase.

LoL Yeah that's what I figured too. $25<$100's. I didn't even have to go to court or anything. Thats just how the officer wrote it up. I was also on the bike at the time, so I'm thinking that may have helped.