PDA

View Full Version : Any fisherman here?

Bob
02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Just curious if we have a lot of fisherman here.

telecast
02-14-2010, 10:38 AM
I used to fish a lot. I have about 6 tackle boxes including one of those Plano 707s, or whatever it was. 4 drawers full of lures, some never used.

My wife's grandarents had one of those rent-a-cabin places in the UP. The lake was shitty in bass. Our favorite thing was casting a jitterbug under the docks at night.

Bob
02-14-2010, 11:36 AM
I used to fish a lot. I have about 6 tackle boxes including one of those Plano 707s, or whatever it was. 4 drawers full of lures, some never used.

My wife's grandarents had one of those rent-a-cabin places in the UP. The lake was shitty in bass. Our favorite thing was casting a jitterbug under the docks at night.

Where abouts in the UP? We've gone to Cedarville to pike fish the last 4-5 years. This year we are going to try Fletcher's Pond.

telecast
02-14-2010, 11:45 AM
On Island Lake, about 20 mins. north of Manistique on M94. Just south of Stueben.

zamochit
02-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Love to Fish. Infact here in Flushing we have a Walleye tournament coming up. I'm going to see if my daughter wants to do it with me.

I have land down in Tennessee as well on Cherokee lake and that place is so much fun to fish.

RoadZombie
02-14-2010, 12:25 PM
I like to sit on the shore with a cold beer and fishing rod. Wouldn't really call it fishing. More focused on catching a buzz than fish.

Bob
02-14-2010, 12:33 PM
Love to Fish. Infact here in Flushing we have a Walleye tournament coming up. I'm going to see if my daughter wants to do it with me.

I have land down in Tennessee as well on Cherokee lake and that place is so much fun to fish.

On the ice or coming up in the Spring?

There is always a pro tournament down here every year. I'd like to go to it one year and just watch the pros come in and see what they got. I've known a few guys that have forked over the dough to enter it in the past. Not sure if they've ever won anything though.

Pigpen
02-14-2010, 05:27 PM
I don't fish at all in the summer. I do ice fish about 4-5 days a week though. My wife talks me into going:D (by myself of course). Fished genos on sat put 16 nice perch in the freezer heading for lexington in the a.m. I'm at about 150 fish in the freezer for this season so far.

Bob
02-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Good deal man!

Bob
02-14-2010, 08:01 PM
What kind of reels are you guys using? I have two, a spinner and a push button. A couple of years ago I bought a bait cast reel and ended up giving it away. I just did not have the patients to mess with it enough to learn it. I'm thinking this year I might try and get a good quality spinner reel. The thing I don't like about the spinners it it seems like you have to go to a pretty big reel to get any sort of line thickness and length on the spool.

seatmaker
02-14-2010, 09:33 PM
I use baitcasts only unless throwing light lures. Was brought up with them. Gave my dad one for his birthday or something and he took out all the hi-tech magnets out of it that prevent backlash. Oh well, I tried.

Bob
02-14-2010, 09:36 PM
I use baitcasts only unless throwing light lures. Was brought up with them. Gave my dad one for his birthday or something and he took out all the hi-tech magnets out of it that prevent backlash. Oh well, I tried.

LOL

I did not realize they had so much adjust-ability. I was watching a youtube video and they were showing how to adjust them.

I have a couple of bids on some Abu Garcia spinner reels right now on ebay. They are factory reconditioned but have the full warranty.

Mudpuppy
02-14-2010, 10:36 PM
i fish on charters from time to time.. that is my kind of fishing.. i prefer shooting shit.. small game hunting, deer hunting, duck hunting..

RedneckMedic
02-14-2010, 11:49 PM
i love fishing any time any where from down at heritage park or in florida or taking the bow down to the banana dykes at night. i went on a week long camping trip last summer and i fished probably 90% of the time. the other ten was spent drinking beer and cooking best vacation i have ever had.

Bob
02-15-2010, 08:22 AM
i love fishing any time any where from down at heritage park or in florida or taking the bow down to the banana dykes at night. i went on a week long camping trip last summer and i fished probably 90% of the time. the other ten was spent drinking beer and cooking best vacation i have ever had.

Do you go around here often?

RedneckMedic
02-15-2010, 08:42 AM
when it gets warm out i go as often as i can between work and school.

Bob
02-15-2010, 09:19 AM
when it gets warm out i go as often as i can between work and school.

Most of my fishing around here is Elizabeth Park or one of the Metro Parks. That way I can fish while my wife relaxes. LOL

Mudpuppy
02-15-2010, 09:39 AM
hopefully you were cooking fish

telecast
02-15-2010, 10:16 AM
hopefully you were cooking fish

Bingo. When the kids were little we used to camp quite a bit. There was nothing better than heading down to the lake and catching a big mess of panfish, then taking them back and cooking them up right away. I used to filet everything. Bluegill, Sunfish, RockBass, Crappie. Even the little tiny guys got the treatment. They only amounted to a bite, but I didn't have to worry about kids and fish bones.

Mudpuppy
02-15-2010, 11:47 AM
we used to catch croppie (sp?) at the lake by the hundreds then our friend would cook them up using some "secret" fish breading that included taco bell sauce.. man it was delicious..

now i typically hit the lake eerie charter once a year, take the day off, drink some beers, catch some wallees, come home, drink more beer and grill them up fresh.. whatever i don't cook i vacuum seal and into the freezer it goes..

RedneckMedic
02-15-2010, 06:32 PM
ya i cooked them up mostly bass and blue gill but till fish is fish when im drunk like i was. my favorite though is lake perch ive got a cajun breading i use on them...man im hungry right now

Mudpuppy
02-15-2010, 06:33 PM
me too.. i could go for some alaskan salmon or halibut about now fresh off the grill..

RedneckMedic
02-15-2010, 06:42 PM
that sounds good too i had some tilapia the other night that was really good and had grilled shrimp w/ my steak on sat at texas road house

Bob
02-17-2010, 10:27 PM
ya i cooked them up mostly bass and blue gill but till fish is fish when im drunk like i was. my favorite though is lake perch ive got a cajun breading i use on them...man im hungry right now

How do you cook the blue gill? I have a feeling we might catch a lot of small pan fish this year. I've been reading and it seems like 1/2 people fillet them and 1/2 scale them.

RedneckMedic
02-17-2010, 11:39 PM
just found this online but i just used lemon salt and pepper when camping because i usually dont think ahead when i pack to go to camp

3-4 very fresh 6" Bluegills (per person) (uncleaned)
1 egg
1/2 bottle of beer. (use a light flavor, not a heavy bock or dark beer)
1 9.5 oz box of cracker meal
butter or margarine
vegetable oil
1 3 oz jar of capers
1/2 lemon per person
3-4 cherry tomatoes per person
1 green onion per person
Start by filleting the fish. Use a very sharp flexible knife and begin cutting behind the gill structure. Keep the knife under the meat and on top of the ribs while sliding it towards the tail. Do not separate the fillet from the tail. Instead flip the fillet past the tail and continue cutting away from the head, but holding the knife under the meat and separating the skin. Two easy cuts per fillet. No gutting. No scaling. All of the offal in one easily disposed of piece.

In a bowl, make an egg wash using the whole egg and 1/2 bottle of beer. Dispose of the remaining beer 8-}. Whip with a fork until thoroughly blended.

Empty the box of cracker meal onto a plate, a sheet of foil, wax paper, or a torn open paper bag.

Grease a skillet with a 50-50 mixture of butter (or margarine) and oil. This is not deep frying, use just a little more than is required to coat the bottom.

Dip each filet in the egg wash and dredge in cracker meal and drop into the hot greased skillet. Brown lightly on both sides and serve.

Garnish with a few capers (drained and chopped), green onions (chopped), and cherry tomatoes (quartered)

Serve with lemon juice, salt, and pepper

RedneckMedic
02-17-2010, 11:41 PM
ive never been a big fan of scaling since i did about 100 fish with my friend and his grandpa just a pain in the ass

Bob
02-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Thanks man!